Vacuum suits

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Feb 22nd '12, 05:20

It strikes me, if the player-character is supposed to be in vacuum-enabled powered battle armor, why does it look like he's just wearing a spandex jumpsuit with football shoulders and a helmet, compared the the VacBobs in their bulky spacesuits?

If one were to re-render all human characters in the game and aim for consistency, would be make more sense for the VacBob suits to be more slender, or the player-character's suit to be more bulky?
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 22nd '12, 05:32

Player is a cyborg. Perhaps certain vacuum-proofing methods are inside the flesh.

RyokoTK
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Post Feb 22nd '12, 05:50

But he and normal people supposedly don't know that. Would be pretty obvious he wasn't normal people if his vacsuit didn't really protect from vacuum.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 22nd '12, 06:04

Well the difference between his suit and the vacbobs is that his emits a personal shield to protect himself, while the bobs' armor is just thick metal. The shield over his whole body could have something to do with its vacuum capabilities; it could also explain how the marine can swim in lava without getting his bare face burned off.
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Feb 22nd '12, 07:41

Marathoner325 wrote:it could also explain how the marine can swim in lava without getting his bare face burned off instantly.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 22nd '12, 16:52

While Craig Mullin's portrayal of the Security Officer tend to vary in his art, the unedited version of the Lh'owon chapter screen shows SO in a bulkier suit, and it seens to have hoses for the air.

Don't know about the open helmet, though. Maybe it automatically closes when needed?
shinr

Post Feb 24th '12, 03:22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit

Apparently, you can survive in space wearing nothing more than carefully made spandex and a fishbowl hooked up to a regulator.

The downside:

http://youtu.be/xsVsHu2EEfo

Not Invented Here

Post Feb 24th '12, 05:12

Yes, I'm not so much questioning how the player-character's space suit could be feasible (although the open face place, ehhh.... maybe it closes in vacuum... and under water, and lava?), as why the VacBobs need such bulkier ones when clearly superior technology is available.

Also: mmmmm, sexy Flaaanderrrs.....
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Feb 24th '12, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Feb 24th '12, 14:53

Pfhorrest wrote:Yes, I'm not so much questioning how the player-character's space suit could be feasible (although the open face place, ehhh.... maybe it closes in vacuum... and under water, and lava?), as why the VacBobs need such bulkier ones when clearly superior technology is available.

http://marathon.bungie.org/temp/cmullins.h...omposite.bottom

That seems about right.

mmmmm, sexy Flaaanderrrs.....

That's DEFINITELY right.

mchief111

Post Feb 24th '12, 16:44

I think as long as you have a nosepiece attached to an air supply and the open space is just close enough to a star so the temperature is nearly the same as indoors, you could hang around in space naked if you wanted to.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Feb 24th '12, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Feb 24th '12, 20:12

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I think as long as you have a nosepiece attached to an air supply and the open space is just close enough to a star so the temperature is nearly the same as indoors, you could hang around in space naked if you wanted to.

The only thing a "nosepiece" would do is keep you conscious long enough to experience the last minute or two of your life while you get a really painful tan, a case of the bends, and ebullism.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Feb 24th '12, 22:13

Can we just imagine space like the opposite bottom of the ocean?
Escape From Marathon Roleplayer. *Scott-Karen-Loner*
[color=#ffffff]I wanted to live-Scott
[/color]
Scanning...just dust and echoes. We're all that's left. We did what we had to do! For Earth. An entire Covenant armada obliterated and the Flood! We had no choice. Halo-it's finished.
No. I think we're just getting started.
listener

Post Feb 26th '12, 19:19

That depends on the power of your imagination.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt
Belgium

Post Feb 26th '12, 21:46

Ares Ex Machina wrote:...you get a really painful tan, a case of the bends, and ebullism.

While the opposite side of you freezes in a matter of seconds...

If you look at the image for the envy chapter here, he looks more like soldier than ????. The helmet on the other hand... why the crap would you have your chin showing!
Last edited by ODST276 on Feb 26th '12, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: seriously?

ODST276
USA

Post Feb 27th '12, 07:04

ODST276 wrote:While the opposite side of you freezes in a matter of seconds...

You wouldn't freeze. With no atmosphere to act as a medium for heat transfer, loss of body heat happens slowly in a vacuum.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Feb 27th '12, 07:06

ODST276 wrote:While the opposite side of you freezes in a matter of seconds...

'Cause space is cold, right?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Feb 27th '12, 19:15

Ares Ex Machina wrote:You wouldn't freeze. With no atmosphere to act as a medium for heat transfer, loss of body heat happens slowly in a vacuum.

Well, you have a good point.

Dugit wrote:'Cause space is cold, right?

Okay, I stand corrected.

ODST276
USA

Return to Marathon Discussion