No carlos/Muerte Machine for me !

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Nov 26th '06, 18:27

well, I downloaded Carlos (Muerte Machine) from fileball.net, unpacked it and installed it. I read over the readme (no problem with system requirements there) and then installed it. I got the same message-prefs file is seriously damaged, install Carlos again. I've done that twice. I suspect that Carlos doesn't like Classic??

so NO carlos/MM for me (or for anyone ) :(

JB
john_brine

Post Nov 26th '06, 20:18

Yaa, I get the same thing. I could get it to install okay but when I try to run it I get an error message that said the Preferences file was damaged. I couldn't find any preferences or I would have tried to trash them. I am able to run lots of things in Classic including the Marathon utilities such as Forge and Anvil.

I remember I played Muerte Machine a few years ago. It's a lot of fun. Armed only with a staple gun Carlos escapes from his cell and rampages through the prison. At least at the time I played it it was unfinished and Carlos is never able to get out of the prison. Maybe he shouldn't. I'd say he's a menace to society. But it's a briliant bit of level design and character development.

Mac G4 DP 1.25 GHz,
1.25 G RAM,
Radeon 9800 128 MB VRAM,
OSX 10.4.8
kenspiker

Post Nov 26th '06, 21:50

O, yes, I did trash the Carlos folder and tried reinstalling it several times. I keep getting the same error message...
kenspiker

Post Nov 26th '06, 22:01

this may be a lil off topic, but where can I download "return to marathon"?
LOL

oteito
somewhere in the heavens

Post Nov 27th '06, 00:06

Ok, thats insanely off topic.

Here's what you need to do. Boot classic. Delete all files associated with MM, including the preferences file. Then, re-download it and run the installer. It should work after that. Never ever play it while booted to OSX.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Nov 27th '06, 01:26

I heard it didn't work in classic. If worst comes to worst, you can Sheepshaver it.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Nov 27th '06, 02:09

You have to run it in classic, it dosent work in OSX.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 02:38

IIRC, Carlos on the Run used a different Aleph one engine "Aleph inio"
with bridges and balconies, not sure if it come with it tho...
Maybe that's the problem...
FullDiaper

Post Nov 27th '06, 02:46

Boot classic. Delete all files associated with MM, including the preferences file. Then, re-download it and run the installer. It should work after that. Never ever play it while booted to OSX.

There's a bit of confusion here: Classic runs under OSX. Older macs could be booted into System9, but on most recent macs OSX is always booted. You don't mean to actually boot into System9, do you?
kenspiker

Post Nov 27th '06, 04:21

Some installers might like a real boot into System9.
Carlos needs the Carlos a1 that works in OS 9.
Classic should be ok to play Carlos.
Last edited by Sam Lowry on Nov 27th '06, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it

Sam Lowry
Adelaide Australia

Post Nov 27th '06, 06:03

Well, I downloaded it again, it installs okay for me but I just can't get it to run in Classic.

But you're saying there was a AlephOne which had bridges and balconys? How interesting! Sounds like a great idea. And why did theiy stop doing that?

And what is Sheepshaver?
kenspiker

Post Nov 27th '06, 06:59

The reason that the project was stopped was that only the legacy Mac OS 9 version of Aleph One supported Bridges and Balconies well, and so the author didn't feel his work was worth continuring on an outdated OS only. He also wrote that it won't run under classic so you need an actual boot of OS 9. Thus I reccomend Sheepshaver, the Powerpc emulator.
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/sheepshaver/

You guys should really read the website you download the file from...

"Carlos on the Run was never finished. It has been a year since any work has been done on it. This is due to the fact that the "Bridges and Balconies" feature from the open source Aleph One engine was never fully developed. The only version of Aleph One that supports the 3D level design features found in Carlos on the Run was released in May of 2001. I couldn't motivate myself to continue developing content for a dead engine that only runs on Mac OS 9. (That sort of explains why I decided to make my own engine, which may be of interest to those with more powerful computers running Mac OS X.)"

Via http://bighouse.bungie.org/mm/

In addition, the Bridges and Balconies of which he speaks of can be found here:
http://aleph.inio.org/

Its too bad it hasn't been revived and incorporated back into Aleph One, I could see some pretty awesome geometry with that.

There was a tutorial for it here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~jemmet/spnkrghol/3Dpolygonmap.html

I have yet to try that test map on the most recent AlephOne though I have doubts, which perhaps Treelama can clear up.
Last edited by Zott on Nov 27th '06, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Nov 27th '06, 12:51

The only version of Aleph One that ever supported B&B was the version Inio only released to the private test group. That engine made it into Carlos on the Run, but sadly its author (or perhaps Inio himself, if he didn't give the private test group source code) chose to ignore the GPL and didn't release the engine source.

The source code on Inio's web site is for a second version of B&B but it's so incomplete there's no point merging it in. I hope that instead of spending time working on it, someone would just do a fork of Aleph One to make it more of a modern 3D engine.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 27th '06, 22:56

That's a link to a site about Quake 3...

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:00

That is not a version of Aleph One. You deliberatly made a mistatement. It also contributes nothing to this thread. Please refrain.

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:05

Treellama wrote:The only version of Aleph One that ever supported B&B was the version Inio only released to the private test group. That engine made it into Carlos on the Run, but sadly its author (or perhaps Inio himself, if he didn't give the private test group source code) chose to ignore the GPL and didn't release the engine source.

The source code on Inio's web site is for a second version of B&B but it's so incomplete there's no point merging it in. I hope that instead of spending time working on it, someone would just do a fork of Aleph One to make it more of a modern 3D engine.

didn't Inio show up on the devs mailing list last year talking about his new coding plans for AlephOne also mentioning about being sorry about the failure of the B&B? I remember he even got a roadmap for the stuff he had planned then. Perhaps he isn't aware of the fact that nobody's able to expand the inio code due to half of it being missing. Would be quite the shame if that work would gone to wast just like the marathon source port of that one fella who single handedly coded it and didn't release proper files to compile it cause he thought it'd be illegal.

BTW, wasn't there an inio branch at cebix a while ago?
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:07

heh, irons...as if you don't dream about aleph havin' bridges and balconies at night :D
I mean what with the messing around with walking ontop of scenario items and lua forcing the player to walk in the air [MTongue]

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:09

Well, we're trying to jam Marathon into modern game engines already, might as well continue.

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:11

Open GL graphics. 3-d Model capability. An actual metaserver. Online Multiplayer. Transparency and Glow.

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:12

dude, I need bridges and balconies. Where else am I gonna talk to my followers from?

Also to a relic like me 1024*1024 textures with openGL effects seem pretty modern to me..and then there's modernp3 support

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:16

Dude, your argument was basically: "We don't have true 3-d modeling, hence we shouldn't have true 3-d modeling."

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:20

I know. You asked for examples about how we are trying to modernize A1, and I provided. I'm saying that we should try to develop 3d architecture (ie, bridges/balconies)

-DcBob

SirBlastalot

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:20

qoou wrote:Those aren't quite the same as true 3D. Perhaps Treellama should explain the intricacies of the complete overhaul that would be required for working B&B/3D.

dude...just copy it from quake...that source is already out ;)
( put true client server in it too while you are it...I would code it myself, but... )

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:38

sounds like a plan, lol

Would still jump around with a smile on the face if B&B coders were to show up all of a sudden ( wouldn't you? ;) )

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Nov 27th '06, 23:44

Would still jump around with a smile on the face if B&B coders were to show up all of a sudden ( wouldn't you? ;) )

JUICE is all I need to feel like jumping around with a smile on my face. On the other hand, if I feel like playing a good game of marathon, B&B is the last thing I need. I think the marathon engine is perfect the way it is, otherwise I would have moved onto a more modern game a long time ago.
- JUICE is the only way.
[8FTB]
taps you the eight-foot-tall Burton

JUICEMAN

Next

Return to Marathon Discussion