Question about Hardware Support for Aleph One

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Mar 23rd '12, 01:15

I use an Acer Aspire One D257 netbook with an Intel Atom Processor that uses shared memory with Integrated Graphics, and to my knowledge that prevent me from being able to play Marathon to its full potential. I have installed the game and it runs fine, but there are 2 problems: first the menus show black screens inside the borders of the windows, and secondly, the HUD does not show in game, the whole bottom section of the HUD is missing and there is an error message that does not go away, and its repeated 7 times...

[string "hud_script"]:272: attempt to index global 'pos' (a nil value)

fyi, I am running Aleph One on Xubuntu 11.10.

Anyway I was just wondering if there is a fix for this, or have I managed to find something new?

Any help would be appreciated.
LDC

Post Mar 23rd '12, 15:46

Make sure you have SDL_TTF and its development libraries installed; if not, install them, reconfigure and rebuild Aleph One.

You should be able to use the OpenGL (Classic) renderer with Intel graphics. You might get better performance if you enable compressed texture support in driconf; or if you turn off the hi-res plugins.
Last edited by treellama on Mar 23rd '12, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Mar 24th '12, 01:56

Treellama wrote:Make sure you have SDL_TTF and its development libraries installed; if not, install them, reconfigure and rebuild Aleph One.

You should be able to use the OpenGL (Classic) renderer with Intel graphics. You might get better performance if you enable compressed texture support in driconf; or if you turn off the hi-res plugins.

I'm sorry I am such a noob. I have SDL_TTF, but I don't know how to change the OpenGL or anything like that, I can't get into the menu since its all blacked out. I will try to upload screen shots to make it easier...
LDC

Post Mar 24th '12, 14:45

You can try using the software renderer by running alephone -g. That will at least allow you to access the menus.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Mar 26th '12, 04:58

Treellama wrote:You can try using the software renderer by running alephone -g. That will at least allow you to access the menus.

I ran the code "alephone -g" and it didn't do anything different.
Attachments
Screenshot___03252012___11_54_24_PM.png
Screenshot___03252012___11_54_24_PM.png (133.63 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Screenshot___03252012___11_53_58_PM.png
Screenshot___03252012___11_53_58_PM.png (178.8 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Screenshot___03212012___11_31_36_AM.png
Screenshot___03212012___11_31_36_AM.png (366.42 KiB) Viewed 258 times
LDC

Post Mar 26th '12, 12:39

It looks like you are still missing SDL_ttf. Install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev, then re-run configure, and recompile Aleph One.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mara...ll_Instructions
Last edited by treellama on Mar 26th '12, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 15th '12, 01:37

Axgol 117 wrote:Hello, I've been playing Marathon for quite a long time in Windows. Recently, I changed my OS to Ubuntu 11.04 and it's been a pain installing AlephOne and Marathon. I am having this same problem of no font rendering in the Preferences menu and [string "hud_script"]:272: attempt to index global 'pos' while playing. As Treellama said, I've tried reinstalling the libraries libsdl-ttf2.0 and libsdl-ttf2.0-dev (I already had them) from the Synaptics Package Manager, but I'm still getting these lines during the ./configure operation and having the same errors while running the game.

checking SDL_ttf.h usability... no
checking SDL_ttf.h presence... no
checking for SDL_ttf.h... no

How can I solve this? I also tried running alephone -g after the mentioned changes but the bug is still there. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 with an Intel Media Graphics Accelerator integrated graphic card.

Can you post config.log? Generally SDL_ttf.h is in the include path sdl-config --cflags returns; if that's not the case on newer Ubuntu we'll have to come up with some workaround. The right answer may be to use pkg-config and ignore complaints from people who don't want us to use it.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 15th '12, 11:20

Did you install SDL manually or something? It looks like it's not using the built-in one, but a custom one you or something else installed itself!

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 15th '12, 18:09

You can (and should) install everything from Synaptic (or aptitude). So you'll need to uninstall the libraries you installed by hand (try make uninstall, if that doesn't work get somebody in #ubuntu to walk you through it), install the prereqs the right way, then rerun configure, then you should be good.

There's an easy to copy and paste command that installs all the prerequisites at the wiki link in post #6

Good luck!

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 15th '12, 22:03

Did you make uninstall in the manually installed SDL_image?

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 15th '12, 22:17

Everything you need is part of Ubuntu, so you should remove anything you didn't use Synaptic or aptitude to install!

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Apr 16th '12, 20:19

Good to hear it's working. We'll try to improve the visibility of that page, and maybe consider just dropping INSTALL.Unix since it's so outdated.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to Aleph One Discussion