Wolfenstein 3D

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Apr 5th '12, 04:44

I know that most people these days probably see it as just an anachronistic nostalgia game, but I still think that it's worth playing, even almost 20 years later ("Shite!" as Dr. Schabbs would say). Unfortunately, I have neither a pre-Intel Mac nor the discs necessary to set up an OS 9 emulator. As such, I'm currently unable to play the Mac version, which I believe to be the best one. Still, the PC version, which was recently ported to Mac OS X, is good enough for me. I just got finished playing a well-made custom scenario, and I enjoyed it all the way through (save for the moments when I was really frustrated from getting my ass kicked so much by all the damn mutants).

The game can be quite challenging (at least on "I Am Death Incarnate!" difficulty). Obviously the AI isn't very advanced, but the enemies shoot pretty quickly and accurately. It also takes a while to get used to the fact that, owing to the (understandably) very primitive game engine, the enemies can shoot you from highly impractical places (like through the corners of walls). You really have to think on your feet and take cover often if you want to survive.

I suppose I just really appreciate how FPS games like Wolfenstein 3D had a sort of straightforward "arcade" element to them, where it was basically all about how engaging and challenging you could make it for the player, regardless of how campy or impractical it turned out. Not to be a curmudgeon or say that there aren't good video games today (there are), but it's harder to find a modern FPS with that level of purity. Plus, although the engine is very simple (completely flat levels, linear AI, etc), it allows people like the author of the scenario I just played to be creative with limited options. That and the learning curve for learning how to use the level editor isn't very high (I remember having a hell of a fun time with WolfEdit).

Discuss.
Last edited by Da Pissa on Apr 7th '12, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Da Pissa

Post Apr 6th '12, 01:20

There will always be a place for the classic (or not!) in the gaming world.
Escape From Marathon Roleplayer. *Scott-Karen-Loner*
[color=#ffffff]I wanted to live-Scott
[/color]
Scanning...just dust and echoes. We're all that's left. We did what we had to do! For Earth. An entire Covenant armada obliterated and the Flood! We had no choice. Halo-it's finished.
No. I think we're just getting started.
listener

Post Apr 6th '12, 03:13

I can't remember if I have ever played Wolfenstein. They released it for the iPhone and I was thinking about trying it out. I saw a video of it, and it looks pretty fun and a bit easier to control than Marathon for the iPhone because you don't have to look up and down.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Apr 7th '12, 16:30

You can play the entire thing for free now that it's abandonware. Below is a link to a video on YouTube showing a guy playing a Mac OS X port of the PC version of Wolfenstein 3D on OS 10.5.8, and there's a functional download link in the description for it. This is assuming that you have a Mac, of course. If you're on a PC, you'll probably be able to find the game even more easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwSt514hAg

Also, your avatar kicks ass. Great game/character. Lara Croft got NUTTIN' on Konoko, mofo. [MGrin]

Da Pissa

Post Apr 7th '12, 19:17

Da Pissa wrote:Also, your avatar kicks ass. Great game/character. Lara Croft got NUTTIN' on Konoko, mofo. [MGrin]

Haha, thank you! I absolutely love Oni too! :)
Last edited by brilliant on Apr 7th '12, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Apr 7th '12, 19:30

At one point I tried obtaining a copy of Wolfenstein 3D via free download, but I never encountered one that actually worked. I still want to play it. Since Wolfenstein 3D was ported to GBA, I'm sure I could find a rom of it to play it on my GBA emulator.
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny
Coming eventually: PROJECT-M
Destiny
USA

Post Apr 8th '12, 20:51

I'll try the link in a minute, but right now, does anyone know of a working version of Oni?
Escape From Marathon Roleplayer. *Scott-Karen-Loner*
[color=#ffffff]I wanted to live-Scott
[/color]
Scanning...just dust and echoes. We're all that's left. We did what we had to do! For Earth. An entire Covenant armada obliterated and the Flood! We had no choice. Halo-it's finished.
No. I think we're just getting started.
listener

Post Apr 8th '12, 20:57

listener wrote:I'll try the link in a minute, but right now, does anyone know of a working version of Oni?

Get it here.
Image Image

interion

Post Apr 8th '12, 22:51

I'm sorry, but IMO wolf3d has aged terribly. The nature of the engine makes too many rooms look the same and it's easy to get lost. And not in that "Cool, nonlinear exploration!" sense. I'm talking about "man, I'm soooo bored.. where's that freaking elevator?"

Pathways into Darkness, on the other hand, threw in a lot of neat mechanics to make the gameplay worthwhile. Sadly, I heard that more was going to be done with wolf3d to give it elements that the old apple II wolfenstein had, such as stealing nazi uniforms for stealth, but carmack cut it all out for simplicity.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Apr 8th '12, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Apr 9th '12, 03:00

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm sorry, but IMO wolf3d has aged terribly. The nature of the engine makes too many rooms look the same and it's easy to get lost. And not in that "Cool, nonlinear exploration!" sense. I'm talking about "man, I'm soooo bored.. where's that freaking elevator?"

Pathways into Darkness, on the other hand, threw in a lot of neat mechanics to make the gameplay worthwhile. Sadly, I heard that more was going to be done with wolf3d to give it elements that the old apple II wolfenstein had, such as stealing nazi uniforms for stealth, but carmack cut it all out for simplicity.

No need to apologize, Billy. It's ok to be wrong. [MTongue]

In all seriousness, I can see where you're coming from, although I attribute the problem that you mentioned more to the original levels. Some of them just don't hold up as well today as a lot of the well-made custom scenarios do, just like how some of the original Marathon maps (mainly the early M1 maps) aren't that great in retrospect.

I haven't played Pathways Into Darkness in a while. I remember appreciating many of its features, but I didn't like the pace of the combat as much. That game definitely has some creative enemies in it, though. In fact, I can't think of many games that have enemies that bizarre (clit-chested pirogue monsters, floating fish that freeze you, Barney on steroids, etc). I'd play it again if I had OS 9 (I'm aware that there's an Aleph One port, and I've played it, but I don't think it's quite the same).

Da Pissa

Post Apr 9th '12, 03:04

Da Pissa wrote:I'd play it again if I had OS 9 (I'm aware that there's an Aleph One port, and I've played it, but I don't think it's quite the same).

If you care to, you can emulate OS9 with Sheepshaver or Basilisk II. Just played through a fair amount of PiD and a couple of nostalgic games on OS 10.7
Last edited by L'howon on Apr 9th '12, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Apr 9th '12, 22:18

Lh wrote:If you care to, you can emulate OS9 with Sheepshaver or Basilisk II. Just played through a fair amount of PiD and a couple of nostalgic games on OS 10.7

Yeah, I have those emulators ready, I just need to get the discs/disc images necessary to run them. Then I'll be set.

EDIT: Whoa, I just looked on Half.com. Those fuckers sell cheap. I reckon that I'll be ordering them soon.
Last edited by Da Pissa on Apr 9th '12, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Da Pissa

Post Apr 10th '12, 03:19

Da Pissa wrote:Yeah, I have those emulators ready, I just need to get the discs/disc images necessary to run them. Then I'll be set.

EDIT: Whoa, I just looked on Half.com. Those fuckers sell cheap. I reckon that I'll be ordering them soon.

Should search a bit harder unless you really want to own a physical copy

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Return to Chat