Xmas III: Starship

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 13th '08, 20:24

The Xmas Starship project is finally (almost) finished!

Currently I'm releasing the scenario in the beta stage. I've already tested it, and it should work, but there may remain some bugs or other issues that I haven't noticed yet. As such, I'm waiting to put the total package (in French: le package total) on Simplicity until these kinks are worked out.

For those of you who have (im)patiently waited for nearly two months, despair no more! The beta is almost the same as what you're going to get in the final version.

The data files are kept separate so, if I update the map file, you won't have to get the rest of the crap.

Xmas 3 beta 1 map file / Dated 2-13
Xmas 3 shapes file / Dated 2-13
Xmas 3 hi-res textures / Dated 2-13

Enjoy! Feel free to use this topic to post complaints, bug reports, praise, adoration, etc.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 13th '08, 20:31

It... is... alive...

First, it's nice to hear the project is rolling along.

Second, it's nice to see the name and that you're still making maps. Haven't seen you online for a while - you've been missed.

GF AKA Mr. Death
gferguson

Post Feb 13th '08, 20:46

At last it is 'finished'! I can post up some of the texture psds too, if anyone wants to see how I did them. I am using photoshop 7, but they should work on much older versions of it.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 13th '08, 20:54

cant wait to play it! this is gonna be fuuun
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 13th '08, 22:53

played now, it iz FUN!
got a bit screwed by the teleporter thingy on either the 2nd or 4th level... otherwise it is great. good job all!

(with screwed i ment confused, srry)
Last edited by CryoS on Feb 13th '08, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Feb 13th '08, 22:59

Good to know that the teleporters are messed up on either the 2nd or the 4th level, but you aren't sure which one. Very nice.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:11

Well I jsut played through my map, and didnt see any teleporter problems... but the yellow AI said the level design was inane :(

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:12

Interesting glitch, maybe someone can help.

The "Space" landscape set has been modified to have three different skies rather than the usual one. This works perfectly fine with the hi-res textures. However, the skies are not visible in OpenGL without replacement textures. They appear properly in Software mode. Does this have to do with the multiple sky textures...?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:13

Well I jsut played through my map, and didnt see any teleporter problems... but the yellow AI said the level design was inane :(

I wouldn't get too choked up about it. They say that about pretty much everything.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:26

RyokoTK wrote:Interesting glitch, maybe someone can help.

The "Space" landscape set has been modified to have three different skies rather than the usual one. This works perfectly fine with the hi-res textures. However, the skies are not visible in OpenGL without replacement textures. They appear properly in Software mode. Does this have to do with the multiple sky textures...?

I must have not set the 16/32bit color set to have the sequencing and stuff as the normally colored set... I noticed I got a smear in the ladnscape because I had not turned on the high res landscapes. Keep in mind that there was some weird error at one point where there were 2 options for the orignal 2 landscapes. But I dont really see why anyone would want to turn off opengl, because on the previous thread I did have the lighter 128x128 textures posted up (with the same size and resolution landscapes). You should be able to fix the landscape problem yourself, since you seem to be proficient in anvil too.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:31

No, they work fine in Software, but they smear in OpenGL. They appear in Software 32 bit without a hitch.

The two alternate skies are also present in Custom color mode in Anvil, so I'm not seeing what the problem is.

EDIT: Oh, I see, in the sequences. Wait, no, the 16/32-bit textures have their own sequence as well.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 13th '08, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 13th '08, 23:57

I probably just need to redo the landscape part of the file. They arent really very nice to look at without OpenGL replacements though.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 14th '08, 17:45

its only a minor remark and i only minorly care, but its not entirely correct that shadowbreaker made all low res textures. I made like three of them or so.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Feb 14th '08, 18:00

This was trippy. It's on the first level.

This metal grate was seen hovering over all lava surfaces throughout the level.
If it hadn't been drifting I would have assumed it was intentional.
Hope it is of help.
Slow day.

Nitocris

Post Feb 14th '08, 18:39

Now that looks like an odd error with the replacement textures, but I can't imagine why. Nobody else has that problem?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 14th '08, 20:42

nope

bug report about cops and robbers
------
First terminal, somewhere: Teleportatiion.
Theres a room with four doors around poly 348. Next to these four doors, there are vents, and when you walk into them, you jump to the doors.

Also, shadow, theres a texture with square ventilator tiles and im wondering which one it is cuz i dont see it in the shapes file and it looks like something i would have used if i had.
Last edited by Drictelt on Feb 14th '08, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Feb 14th '08, 23:31

RyokoTK wrote:Now that looks like an odd error with the replacement textures, but I can't imagine why. Nobody else has that problem?

That screen looks like a problem I saw too, with the floor surfaces appearing through the wall. I have no idea what could cause that, though. It's not a problem I've encountered before when making maps.
Axle_Gear

Post Feb 15th '08, 00:02

Drictelt wrote:nope

bug report about cops and robbers
------
First terminal, somewhere: Teleportatiion.
Theres a room with four doors around poly 348. Next to these four doors, there are vents, and when you walk into them, you jump to the doors.

Also, shadow, theres a texture with square ventilator tiles and im wondering which one it is cuz i dont see it in the shapes file and it looks like something i would have used if i had.

It was that ugly not-tiling vent thing, not the slanty ones.

Axle_Gear wrote:stuff about weird lava things and stuff

I think you should try loading the xmas shapes file, instead of an infinity one. This project has about 100 textures, while the typical lava set only has 32. Othjer than that I am stumped.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Feb 15th '08, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 15th '08, 22:50

That was the shit! I totally thought there was going to be a happy ending too.

So er... what are we gonna do next year? [MSmile]

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 16th '08, 04:39

That was the shit! I totally thought there was going to be a happy ending too.

There is. You just did it wrong.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 16th '08, 04:49

RyokoTK wrote:There is. You just did it wrong.

Yea I actually figured that after a while... oh well.

My brother is bitching at me for making Flat Earth Society so bug proned, so I'll probably send you a truly refined version for the final release.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 16th '08, 13:23

In flat earth society or so, there are a few rooms with infinitely appearing drones, that open and close again. You can get locked up in them.

Drictelt

Post Feb 16th '08, 14:17

Drictelt wrote:In flat earth society or so, there are a few rooms with infinitely appearing drones, that open and close again. You can get locked up in them.

Well if you do that then you are dead, unless all 10 possible drones are in the other room.

The problem people have been running into is attempting to retrace their steps when they got teleportered back to the begninng... they keep going into that room with the elevator which only activates once, so you are stuck in that room fi you go there again. But in order to get back you need to go into those other remote teleporters that lead you into the juggernaut room, the one that looks a bit like the room you start the level in is the one you need to teleport to.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 16th '08, 15:13

Who's your brother?

EDIT: I'm still having problems with Xmas. I tried Drag and Drop, or just putting the files in the same folder as AO, but neither work. I could really use some help.
What happens to AO is that it turns on for a second, then off, and I can only see that it's on in the little thing that shows the app name in the upper left hand corner, the desktop interface doesn't change at all. This is the common symptom of missing a file, but I'm not missing anything.

This is what's in the folder I'm dragging into AO. (A.K.A the Xmas folder)
[attachment=1410:Grrr.png]

This is what's in my AO folder.
[attachment=1409:Grr.png]

The files in the Xmas Folder are the originals, except for the images and map files which are xmas versions with their names changed. I've also tried with default map and images, and then the xmas stuff called map1 and images1.

PS. the scripts folders have only the wep and shots_fired enhancement packs, which I installed in first one folder, removed them, in the other folder, in both folders, and in no folders.
Attachments
Grrr.png
Grrr.png (25.27 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Grr.png
Grr.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Last edited by Phortiphy on Feb 16th '08, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Feb 16th '08, 17:59

just beated it via the "2nd" ending and it was hard to figure out.

CryoS
The Dungeon

Next

Return to Projects