MarathUp 1.0 now out

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Apr 18th '08, 14:11

MarathUp - Sketchup to Marathon Converter is now at version 1.0. It's a plug-in for Google Sketchup that enables you to create Marathon maps by editing Sketchup models, and then exporting the model information appropriately.

I haven't been able to use it, however, since I don't have Google Sketchup.

lpetrich

Post Jan 6th '09, 19:27

I am a windows user who is very interested in this, and would be happy to play with it if I could extract the archive. I'm using the latest 7zip, which opens/extracts the bz2, but not the tar inside. According to this (and commonsense) the script should work with windows? Perhaps this is a 7zip problem?

Help please!
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Jan 6th '09, 21:48

now that's quite interesting! i'm gonna see if i can test it anytime soon

JohannesG

Post Jan 6th '09, 22:19

effigy wrote:I am a windows user who is very interested in this, and would be happy to play with it if I could extract the archive. I'm using the latest 7zip, which opens/extracts the bz2, but not the tar inside. According to this (and commonsense) the script should work with windows? Perhaps this is a 7zip problem?

Help please!

I couldn't extract it with 7-zip either, so I converted it to a zip file. You can download it from MediaFire.
Image Image

interion

Post Jan 7th '09, 13:53

Tim wrote:...I converted it to a zip file...

Thank you, sir!

Last night I tried with Tugzip and Stuffit, both revealed the changes and the read me files. What archiver did you use to open it?

effigy

Post Jan 8th '09, 15:44

Well, lpetrich, I think this plugin is really cool, I assume you are not the author if you don't have SketchUp, but, thanks for starting this thread!

effigy

Post Jan 8th '09, 22:05

Interesting

Google Sketch Up is free, unless you need the 'Pro' version for the plugin.

http://sketchup.google.com/

ukimalefu

Post Jan 8th '09, 22:45

Yay! My 1st Marathon map ever! [MGrin]

(The 'Files' script is not needed, all it did was kill my preferences. Removing it fixed them. The screenshot is without the script)

[MGrin]

(Please Note: This is reply Number 7 [MGrin] )
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 8th '09, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

ukimalefu

Post Jan 9th '09, 01:56

I noticed textures look different in-game than in the tutorial/SketchUp window.

Maybe because I'm using Aleph One with Infinity files and enhanced textures?

ukimalefu

Post Jan 9th '09, 13:49

ukimalefu wrote:Maybe because I'm using ... enhanced textures?

I believe the tutorial mentions that textures placed in SkethUp are displayed in AlephOne according to name of that texture used. I don't think any textures are imbeded or saved to the map, rather the map references textures in the scenario you're using to play the map in.

effigy

Post Jan 9th '09, 16:53

Please help. Can't complete Exercise 4

I get this

Top view with top hidden

I deleted the polygon, did it all over again, made sure to follow the instructions, snapped the end points together...

Can't export it.
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 9th '09, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

ukimalefu

Post Jan 9th '09, 17:20

Question: Does the plugin automatically split polygons with more than 8 verts? I guess the more appropriate question is: Is that last question answered in the documentation? [MGrin]
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 9th '09, 18:09

split? what? huh?

ukimalefu

Post Jan 9th '09, 19:51

ukimalefu wrote:split? what? huh?

sorry- like in Forge if you create a shape that has more than 8 vertices you have to split it in order to fill it as a polygon
example:

to solve the problem you have to make more connections so you can fill it up
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t

jessenator
The Evergreen State

Post Jan 9th '09, 20:00

jessenator wrote:Question: Does the plugin automatically split polygons with more than 8 verts? I guess the more appropriate question is: Is that last question answered in the documentation? [MGrin]

No.
Yes.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 9th '09, 21:12

Are you getting a message about 8 corners? It should be displayed as in drawing text with a leader arrow point at the problem area. I haven't made it this far in the tutorial but I'm guessing you need to use the line tool on a floor and corresponding ceiling somewhere.

EDIT: Sorry, your top image didn't load before my post. The "non-convex" area is probably to blame. Try connecting opposite corners of the octagon with the line tool.

EDIT2:*hexagon.
Last edited by effigy on Jan 12th '09, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

effigy

Post Jan 9th '09, 22:46

Tried like 764 things. Couldn't fix it... :(

ukimalefu

Post Jan 10th '09, 04:39

This either needs a sticky, or an addition to Pfhak.

This could be very handy to Windows users, and people in general. Assuming that not to many hitches are stumbled upon along the way.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 12th '09, 02:53

Please tell me. How do I install this in sketchup? I've allready downloaded the files.

Odie

Post Jan 12th '09, 04:12

Odie wrote:Please tell me. How do I install this in sketchup? I've allready downloaded the files.

The documentations of Tutorial and Installation are included in MarathUp-1.0.(zip/tar.gz)
You can find in

MarathUp-1.0/Tutorial/index.html

What OS do you use? For example, in Windows, copy files from

MarathUp-1.0/RubyScripts/*

into

[Sketchup directory]/Plugins/

I'm also learning from the Tutorial :)
SourceForge.net Project
-JUICE ( Released from irons )
-Map Editor One J ( in progress )
-Terminal Editor One J ( in progress )
-Physics Editor One J ( latest version downloadable from FileBall)
-------------------
SourceForge.jp Releases
-Map Viewer One
-Physics Editor One
-Map Demerger One
-------------------
My web site
[HogePiyo's Tools Download Page]|
-------------------
avator image from : http://source.bungie.org/content/content_c...avid_Simon.html

HogePiyo

Post Jan 12th '09, 14:52

In Mac OS X 10.5.6, there wasn't a 'Plugins' folder where it was supossed to be, so I put it there myself, and it worked.

(still haven't solved my problem)

ukimalefu

Post Jan 12th '09, 17:15

I finally got it right! By redoing the last stair-step and the big room.

I think the problem lies in SketchUp being buggy and improving the tutorial could help. This step could have more detailed steps and screenshots:

I noticed, on this last try, that something was different. First I only moved the edge, and I had some trouble fitting it right between the floor and ceiling edges, but now, the whole 2 walls attached to it copied/moved too. I deleted what shouldn't be there, and it worked!

ukimalefu

Post Jan 12th '09, 19:11

Ok, there are many differences between the tutorial and the actual things in SketchUp and the MarathUP plugin. It's ridiculous.

this "pins"?

I don't see them

And this? [MWuh]

You must ALSO select 'Player Controllable' or you won't be able to open the door.

ukimalefu

Post Jan 12th '09, 19:26

Perhaps you should email the author? I don't believe he reads these forums.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 12th '09, 19:50

Treellama wrote:Perhaps you should email the author? I don't believe he reads these forums.

You mean lpetrich? (first post)

I sent him a PM. Is that not enough?

Oh, well. I've now completed Exercise 5.

Lots of guesswork/trial and error. I'm still loving this plugin. For the first time ever, I'm making a Marathon Map, plus something somewhat useful with Google SketchUp. But still, Bad Tutorial! Go stand in the corner!

ukimalefu

Next

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera