Closing Marathon Orphanage

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Closing Marathon Orphanage

Post Feb 1st '16, 02:20

I'm closing down the Orphanage. :( With the lack of new material and the sheer age of most of the contents maintaining it seemed pointless. Both the http/php coding and archived material are available on the Home page as tar balls for anyone to use. Feel free to use either though with the material do remember to credit the original authors.

I've also left an email address to answer any queries that may arise.

Cathunter
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Feb 2nd '16, 11:19

Thanks for curating it all these years. My knee jerk response is, bummer. But the fact I had to use Google just to find the Orphanage site demonstrates how much I actually used it (for others' convenience, it's http://marathon.bungie.org/Orphanage/). In any case, the content is more important than the platform used to access it. The "web coding" link works for me in Safari, but the "map-making material" link does not.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 6th '16, 01:13

I'd like to say my thanks as well :)
Btw, the second link is just missing the data file's suffix
It works when adding tgz to it: working link for the orphanage data

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Feb 12th '16, 00:51

I fixed the link. You can be so careful writing the code but one typo or omission....
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Feb 13th '16, 22:17

Awww... although I admittedly never used the Orphanage, I really liked just knowing it existed, and looking at all the old projects was fun and inspiring. Thank you, Cathunter.
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post Dec 19th '16, 17:38

Does anyone know what license there is on all those files and/or what can be done with them. I do think I saw somewhere a simple "do whatever you want" kind of message, but I wanted to make sure I understood that correctly before I start using them.

For example, in my case, I have started some post production/research work on a FPS game idea of mine, done in the spirit of Marathon and other similar games from that era. This would not be directly connected to Marathon at all, nor would it use the A1 engine. But I am tempted to use (at the very least as placeholders) various artwork found at the Orphanage.

Was there anywhere a clause in the "orphanage license" saying it was for Marathon related games only, or perhaps non-commercial only? Any attribution requirements?

JohannesG

Post Dec 21st '16, 17:00

From what I remember it depended on the individual project. Some authors just asked for credit to be given for anything used, but I'm pretty sure there were one or two projects that didn't want anything to be used for a purpose other than completing that project.

$lave

Post Dec 22nd '16, 10:55

I just looked through some of the files and some of the projects have readme's with quite undetailed "license information". A lot of them have none, which is kind of sad as it seriously affects the survivability of this work. :(

...which makes me wonder (slightly off topic) if the 'thon community might need some archival work. For example uploading this kind of stuff to archive.org before it's too late.

JohannesG

Post Feb 5th '17, 21:06

Much as $lave said, it depended on the individual project. Most were simply complete or reuse (which was the intent of the site) but a few authors stipulate other conditions (Killing Time's limited the use to the textures and sprites). I tried to be specific in my descriptions though of course any comment I made is gone :-) I still have all the files and emails from the authors; If you have specific queries I'd be happy to answer them.

Cathunter
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Return to The Pfhorums