Marathon: Nova

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Sep 28th '08, 01:39

So, ever since the fortunate demise of Marathon: White, CryoS and I have been working on a new project: Marathon (Codename) Nova. The project is still just an infant, but updates (progress reports and screenshots) regarding the scenario can be found here.

All the guns are made by CryoS, and everything else was made by me. CryoS and I will try and keep you updated on how this is going, and comments are welcome, we'll try to answer your questions regarding the project as well as we can.
Last edited by $lave on Feb 28th '09, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Sep 28th '08, 14:40

some more pics of the ER (energy rifle)
[attachment=2027:111_0071.png]
all commments welcome.
[attachment=2028:111_0072.png]
from the side

Note that this is not final, some retexturing and reshaping will be done

(regarding the magazine it will probably be a bit higher up and better looking)
Attachments
111_0072.png
111_0072.png (46.43 KiB) Viewed 9025 times
111_0071.png
111_0071.png (115.92 KiB) Viewed 9027 times
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Sep 28th '08, 14:47

Progress is looking great. Can't wait to see more on this. [MGrin]
Marathoner325
British Columbia, Canada

Post Sep 28th '08, 16:52

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Is there any reason you decided to name it "Lolnova"?
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Sep 28th '08, 17:03

The Thug wrote:Can't wait to see how it turns out! Is there any reason you decided to name it "Lolnova"?

Well, we're waiting until we actually finish the entire story to name it; Lolnova is just a "codename".

$lave

Post Sep 28th '08, 18:38

$lave wrote:Well, we're waiting until we actually finish the entire story to name it; Lolnova is just a "codename".

Don't be surprised if Lolnova eventually becomes the actual name though.
I don't care anymore.

Jim
Dayton, Ohio

Post Sep 29th '08, 00:14

Best of luck to all of you in the future.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 29th '08, 08:43

It looks very good so far. Good work CryoS on the weapons.
Major Pedro

Post Sep 29th '08, 10:09

Yes, it is looking very good indeed, especially the energy rifle and the hi-res textures. I don't understand why irons called it a 'joke scenario'.

Is there a particular reason why it's codenamed 'lolnova'?
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sep 29th '08, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Post Sep 29th '08, 16:23

chinkeeyong wrote:I don't understand why irons called it a 'joke scenario'.
Ryoko forced him to do that.

I think it's got some potential, but I'd call the textures "a good start" rather then "awesome hi-res textures". More contrast, both in brightness and in color, the use of multiple patterns and some hand-made details would improve them a lot, except for the last one, which is doomed.
Last edited by Drictelt on Sep 29th '08, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Sep 29th '08, 18:02

Drictelt wrote:I think it's got some potential, but I'd call the textures "a good start" rather then "awesome hi-res textures". More contrast, both in brightness and in color, the use of multiple patterns and some hand-made details would improve them a lot, except for the last one, which is doomed.

Thanks, even the fact that you think the textures are "a good start" is appreciated; I realize none of my stuff is that good yet, but I've only been making hi-res textures for a bit under a month, I expect (hope) that by the time we even have some sort of demo ready my textures will be substantially better.

As far as multiple patterns go, I've been trying to add some more varied patterns to my textures recently, but I'm not terribly good at it (although I'm getting better). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "hand made" detail, but I've been trying (only over the last couple days) to make some rock textures with "cracks" in them, cutting out pieces of the cracks to reveal another rock (or changing the colour/brightness of the original rock).

One last note, I will admit to being slightly bothered by this being called a joke scenario. Although the name isn't serious, CryoS and I both are putting serious effort into this, and for something that's only been in progress for ~2 months, I think we've come a decent way, considering our past experience in both modeling, making textures and solo mapping. No, we haven't in two months created a rubicon-worthy scenario, and to expect that would be absurd. I can't say exactly how this will turn out; the map I've shown in this topic has no chance of ever being released publicly, at least in the for it's in now, and I can't say how many of the textures I've made up to this point will stay, even the story will likely be revised and edited substantially once it's done. This isn't something we hope to finish in a couple months, this will be a long-term project, and even once a first version is released it will likely undergo some major revisions before a final release. Please, I don't mind criticism, but if you're going to criticize this scenario, at least give your comments some use.

$lave

Post Sep 29th '08, 19:02

When you post a scenario that consists of a few mediocre high-res textures, and unimpressive screenshots of gun renders and a single map, on this board, you are opening yourself up to all kinds of criticism, useful and useless, regardless of how long you've been working at it. If this is really a long term scenario, why post about it only two months in? If it's not a joke scenario, why give it a joke scenario name?

Unless you're asking for help, which I think could be done by private message as well, why not keep it to yourself until it's ready for public consumption? Otherwise it just looks like you're trying to join the ranks of people posting partially completed (at best) or barely started scenarios just to get attention.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 29th '08, 21:18

Treellama wrote:Unless you're asking for help, which I think could be done by private message as well, why not keep it to yourself until it's ready for public consumption? Otherwise it just looks like you're trying to join the ranks of people posting partially completed (at best) or barely started scenarios just to get attention.

I'll admit that I had posted this, to some degree, to bring some attention to the scenario. Overall though, I was interested to see what people thought of it so far. I had expected, to some degree to get people saying "this sucks", but even that is different from saying "it's a joke scenario". I take this being a "joke scenario" to imply that neither CryoS or I had put any effort to this, and that it has no potential for anything good to come out of it.

Anyway, even if this is very early in progress, I'd like to keep anyone who's interested in it up to date on how its going, even if that's only a couple people.

$lave

Post Sep 29th '08, 21:39

OK, that makes sense. Still, don't be surprised when jerks post giving you a hard time. It's the Pfhorums.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 30th '08, 01:48

This isn't a joke scenario? I'm pretty disappointed.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 30th '08, 08:12

W wrote:This isn't a joke scenario? I'm pretty disappointed.

I hope that was a joke. [MDown]

Personally, I (edit: like) the circles theme which you guys used for the terminals and interface. It's definitely never been done before (at least in Marathon scenarios) and it looks awesome. I think I might steal the idea and use it in another application. [MTongue]
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Oct 1st '08, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Post Sep 30th '08, 08:20

chinkeeyong wrote:I hope that was a joke. [MDown]

Personally, I think the circles theme which you guys used for the terminals and interface. It's definitely never been done before (at least in Marathon scenarios) and it looks awesome. I think I might steal the idea and use it in another application. [MTongue]

They were used in the Salinger's terminals and terminal pictures, except they were a bit more detailed and less glowy.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Sep 30th '08, 13:23

Shadowbreaker wrote:They were used in the Salinger's terminals and terminal pictures, except they were a bit more detailed and less glowy.

Although there are similarities, the salingers terminal iirc was really only one circle and an oval.

$lave

Post Sep 30th '08, 16:11

chinkeeyong wrote:Personally, I think the circles theme which you guys used for the terminals and interface.

I think this way of expressing oneself.
Last edited by Drictelt on Sep 30th '08, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Oct 6th '08, 03:17

Okay, so CryoS and I have decided upon weekly updates, although we'll probably won't be posting many screenshots too often after this or next week, so updates will mainly just be slight progress reports to keep anyone who cares "in the loop".

I've finally got a usable water texture set, which is quite to my liking, so I've started mapping a lot more over the course of this week. Although I ditch almost all the maps I've been making quite soon after I start them, I like this one so far. This one has a decent chance of making it into some sort of real release, although it will likely go through some fairly major revisions before a final release. Here are a couple screenshots of it so far:
Attachments
Picture_6.png
Picture_6.png (410.72 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
Picture_5.png
Picture_5.png (385.97 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
Last edited by $lave on Oct 6th '08, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

$lave

Post Oct 6th '08, 05:26

The scenario's looking good, $lave.

However, the terminals need a more focal point. I know they're not supposed to be human, but aliens don't fling a bunch of words/communications out there and expect the others to understand it.

Paul

Post Oct 6th '08, 05:54

Pistol's in the work:
[attachment=2087:111_0017.png]
[attachment=2088:111_0018.png]
[attachment=2089:111_0014.png]
these unimpressive renderings displays the current pistol, some retexturing and clip resizement will be done.
Attachments
111_0014.png
111_0014.png (21.18 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
111_0018.png
111_0018.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
111_0017.png
111_0017.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 9022 times
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Oct 6th '08, 07:35

CryoS wrote:these unimpressive renderings displays the current pistol, some retexturing and clip resizement will be done.

Sweet. It's evocative of the current pistol, and yet maintains its own flavor.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Oct 6th '08, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.

chinkeeyong
Singapore

Post Oct 6th '08, 20:33

Looks good.
Can't wait for the final product.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Next

Return to Projects