But it's not easy.
What you will need:
- An Xbox 360 with Marathon: Durandal and a 360 memory card reader (or, in my case, a friend with all three)
- Xplorer360 (you can find it easily on Google)
- wxPirs (http://gael360.free.fr/wxPirs.php)
- Python (http://www.python.org)
- Aorta (http://sf.net/projects/aorta/)
- My extractor scripts and MML: [attachment=3038:XBLA_Scripts.zip]
- Using your Xbox, copy Marathon: Durandal to the memory card
- Plug the memory card into your Windows computer, and run Xplorer360. You're looking for a big file with a huge filename; the file is about 130 MB, and the filename will be a big hexadecimal (capital A-F and digits) string. Copy that file onto your computer
- Open that big file in wxPirs and extract its contents
- Open a command prompt, and change to the directory that contains the files you just extracted
- Run my extracthd.py script (www.python.org has instructions on the ridiculously complicated way to run python scripts). This will create a folder called XBLA; it contains hi-res PNG and DDS files
- (Optional) If you want to use the wall textures, you will need to batch convert them in Aorta *from* DDS *to* DDS! Aleph One doesn't like the mipmap count in these files, but Aorta can read them and Aleph One likes the ones it writes. Aorta will let you use the same folder for destination and source. Use these settings: Use DXTC, generate mipmaps, triangle filter, no halo removal.
- Copy the XBLA folder into your Marathon 2 folder, and add whichever of my MML scripts you want to your Scripts folder. Should be pretty self explanatory what they do.
I find the walls, landscapes, and some of the items, scenery, and projectiles work well. Some of the aliens work OK, too--juggernauts, defenders, compilers. Many of the other aliens, as well as Bobs and the player sprites, are different sizes than in the Marathon 2 shapes file, so they will look off-center or weirdly stretched. It might be possible to fix them by creating an all new shapes file, but that's more work than I am willing to put into it.
Weapons in hand don't work, since they are centered in their files, and are also different sizes than in the shapes file. IMO, WEP looks better anyway.
Please do not ask for a copy of the data files--we will not distribute them.