forge and anvil for OSX

Deleted posts and threads from the beginning until the creation of the Archives category.

Post Jun 24th '06, 22:58

Im getting annoyed by the fact that I have to use one of my older computers every time I want too make some thing for marathon.

I want to know if forge and anvil (preferably those or somthing like them) or other content creation tools for OSX and if there is, then please tell me where to get them or post them
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jun 24th '06, 23:01

Pfhorge and ShapeFusion

Switch
NYC

Post Jun 25th '06, 02:21

where do i get them?

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jun 25th '06, 05:06

Shapefusion can't edit physics, and Pfhorge just...ehem, sucks.

assassingao

Post Jun 25th '06, 06:47

Pfhorge Is great for your situation, you can do the bulk of the mapping In pfhorge then use your old mac to do some quick texturing (Pfhorge visual mode sucks). As for shapefusion, sorry, it doesen't do physics (speaking of which, wtf? physics are just an xml file editor with labels right? I could just be a moron though) point being, heres the links, It should give you a good ammount of mapping time on youir newer maps:

http://www.xmission.com/~dragons/Pfhorge/
http://shapefusion.sourceforge.net/

Switch
NYC

Post Jun 25th '06, 16:52

appleswitch wrote:sorry, it doesen't do physics (speaking of which, wtf? physics are just an xml file editor with labels right? I could just be a moron though)

Physics files are very far removed from XML. The craze with XML is pretty recent. Here's a sample of a physics file:

[code]
MNpx
irons

Post Jun 25th '06, 17:14

appleswitch wrote:sorry, it doesen't do physics (speaking of which, wtf? physics are just an xml file editor with labels right? I could just be a moron though)

Physics files are very far removed from XML. The craze with XML is pretty recent. Here's a sample of a physics file:

IPB Image

(That's the ASCII representation of the hex code).

However, the Anvil (and, earlier, Alchemy) editors came from a third party, Michael Hanson, who may still have the source code somewhere. It might be worth a look.
irons

Post Jun 25th '06, 18:43

I think I have his email address, but I just want to make sure everything Is written out right and Im not the best wrighter. Anyone want to post a draft?

Switch
NYC

Post Jun 25th '06, 21:02

Switch, are you sure it's his address? Here's a draft:

Mr. Hansen,

We are a group of Marathon fans who wish to contact you about your work on Alchemy and Anvil, the Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity Physics/Shapes/Sounds editors. With the release of the Marathon 2 source code, which has become the Aleph One project, fans can play Marathon on just about any platform. What we can't do is edit maps or reproduce the functionality of your editors on platforms other than the pre-OS X Macintosh operating systems. The source code for the map editor Forge is either lost or locked up somewhere. A few map editors are under sporadic development, and there is a shapes editor for Mac OS X, but all of the open-source software we have for editing is buggy at best.

While a careful study of the Aleph One code would allow us to decipher the file formats and how to manipulate them, the primary coders in the community, the developers of Aleph One, are busy with the engine itself. Creating an editor from scratch would take too much work. We would like to ask, if you still possess the source code for Alchemy or Anvil, that you give it to the Marathon community so that we may find a way to adapt it to other systems. If you don't have it, if you don't want to give it away, or if you believe it to be bogged down by copyright issues, we won't bother you again.

If you have received this message in error (you are not the Michael Hanson who created the Anvil editor for Bungie studios, or you are not Michael Hanson at all), we apologize.

Thank you from the Marathon community.

Jon Irons

irons

Post Jun 25th '06, 21:14

That would be somethin' with Anvil's source code being available. Finally one ( not me, lol ) could write enhancements and make 'em editable at the same time.

Wish you good luck with that endeavour [MUp]
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jun 25th '06, 23:51

is there anything for osx that does sounds pretty good, for os9 there was Wail. any thing for the new os?
Dieselfame3

Post Jun 26th '06, 00:09

i don't think so, diesel. The good news about wail is that its source code is around, though. So an OS X sound editor might not be as unlikely as a bunch of other things..one day.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jun 26th '06, 16:13

thx for your help

an if there is anvil relaesed for osx, I want it

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jun 27th '06, 01:31

...While a careful study of the Aleph One code would allow us to decipher the file formats and how to manipulate them, the primary coders in the community, the developers of Aleph One, are busy with the engine itself. Creating an editor from scratch would TAKE TO MUCH WORK. We would like to ask, if you still possess the source code for Alchemy or Anvil...

You shouldn't say 'take to much work' it has the undertone that we're lazy. It would read best if you changed the sentence to 'Creating an editor from scratch would hinder development on Aleph One, as well as be every bit as buggy as other 3rd party software."
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Jul 5th '06, 03:28

Homocidal Ham wrote:Im getting annoyed by the fact that I have to use one of my older computers every time I want too make some thing for marathon.

I want to know if forge and anvil (preferably those or somthing like them) or other content creation tools for OSX and if there is, then please tell me where to get them or post them

I Wish We Had this stuff on pc but i doubt it wil happen.
even tho it mite it wont for a long while.
Hunter10

Post Jul 5th '06, 16:45

Did anyone ever contact that guy who may or may not have the source for anvil? A while ago this topic was active but then people stopped posting here so I was wondering if nothing was done or if nothing was posted about what was done.
rejneb

Post Aug 5th '06, 19:29

Can I ask why Pfhorge sucks? I know it does most of what Forge did, but can't you play the level you're making in Infinity (in a seperate window of course). Also, I've tried using Anvil to edit physics, but it doesn't work. For example, I tried to make a Juggernaught shoot S'pht bolts, but it didn't work.
Also, is anyone working on an OS X version of Anvil?
Last edited by Lugas on Aug 5th '06, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lugas

Post Aug 7th '06, 23:43

Lugas wrote:Can I ask why Pfhorge sucks? I know it does most of what Forge did, but can't you play the level you're making in Infinity (in a seperate window of course).

Its not about seeing the lvl its about textureing it in visual mode, its a total bitch to texture in pfhorge, to the point that its almost imposible

Switch
NYC

Post Aug 8th '06, 03:42

I installed classic on my new computer. Forge, anvil, wail, and everything else are working better than ever

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Return to 2006/01/22 - 2011/04/16