Aleph One 0.23 RC1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Jan 3rd '10, 04:56

A release candidate build is available from treellama.org:
Mac OS X: http://treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20100102.dmg
Windows: http://treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20100102.zip
Source: http://treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20100102.tar.bz2
Mac/Win Source: http://treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20100102-MacWinSrc.7z

Highlights: substantial OpenGL (Shader) improvements, mature plugins support, PNG screenshots, and bug fixes. Please test this release candidate in preparation for the next stable release.

We have also put together a plugin which makes lights, landscapes, lava, goo, and scenery bloom in Marathon Infinity and Marathon 2, which you can get from http://treellama.org/alephone/ExtraBloom.zip

Install it by creating a Plugins directory, and copying ExtraBloom.zip into it.

Changes since preview 1:
  • Fix mouse problems on Mac OS X
  • Fix PNG bump maps on Mac OS X
  • Fix direction of texture sliding on floors/ceiling
  • Fix sprites that disappear in liquid
  • Double the number of available map indexes (from 32k to 64k)
  • Don't crash trying to render a texture palette bitmap that doesn't exist
  • Masking support for enhanced Lua HUD
  • Fix Z-fighting issues with glow maps with OpenGL (Shader)
  • Use OpenMP to load textures using multiple cores (Linux, 64-bit Snow Leopard)
  • Plugins improvements
    • minimum_version
    • support for enhanced HUD scripts
    • solo Lua scripts
    • zipped plugins
    • theme plugins
    • multiple plugins per folder/zip
  • Fix multiplayer film playback with OpenGL (Shader)
  • Fix shader Z problems with media
  • Add a 64-bit executable for Snow Leopard
  • Numerous 3D model fixes for OpenGL (Shader)
  • Fix overwhelming bloom when Gamma Corrected Rendering is enabled
  • Honor fog-affects-landscapes setting in OpenGL (Shader)
  • Work around a bug with Mac OS X 10.4; OpenGL (Shader) works
  • Sprites ignore the Z-buffer in OpenGL (Shader) unless a loaded model requests strict depth behavior using MML
  • Save screenshots as PNG
  • Fix shifting classic HUD in OpenGL (Shader)
  • Increase the maximum sounds loaded at once; with 4 channels, use as much memory as Marathon 2 did. With 32 channels, use 8x that much
  • Reset the map file after playing from a saved game
  • Fix bug 2893933 (respawning in faux netgame)
  • Lua improvements (see Lua.html)
    • monster_damaged trigger
    • speed unit documentation
    • accessors for platform.type, .door, and .locked
    • Lights.new, .initial_phase, .initially_active, .intensity, .states
    • Media.direction, .height, .high, .light, .low, .speed, .type
  • Add metadata to in-game PNG screenshots (X, Y, Z, facing, polygon, map pack)
  • Allow model skins to specify bump maps
  • Fix nodes with multiple clipping windows in OpenGL (Shader)
  • Add an option not to scale custom load screens
  • Prevent hosting with nonexistent map file
  • Enable media fader based on chase-cam position
  • Work around for SF 2894880 (weird Rugby behavior/crash when skull is picked up in goal)
  • Use a 24-bit Z buffer for OpenGL (Shader)
  • Bloom improvements
  • Support glow and bloom for 3D models in OpenGL (Shader)
  • MML controls for glow and bloom
  • Fix bug 1605895 (level specific MML can't set scenery solidity consistently)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 05:30

This RC sounds amazing :)
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.

effigy

Post Jan 3rd '10, 05:43

Well, firstly, thanks for fixing the Vsync issue, Alephone seems to have no tearing now. I also like that screenshots actually go into the screenshot folder now on Windows.

However, there seems to be some "deer in the headlight" effects going on with the Bloom option. I got weird results when I simply dropped the RC Shader version into my previous Alephone Folder, so I made a fresh install,[acronym="Windows 7 x64 Professional

Nvidia 9700m Gt"] no scripts[/acronym], and the strangeness remained. Turning off the "Bloom Effects" option under Graphics stops this oddity.
[attachment=3472:AcmeStation_0001.png]

Shall I file a bug report on this?

In other news, any chance at a x64 version for Windows?

EDIT: Further research into the area reports that having Gamma-corrected Blending Off but Bloom Effects on gives the proper non-headlight effects. Oh Gamma-Corrected-Blending, how many problems you seem to cause.
Attachments
AcmeStation_0001.png
AcmeStation_0001.png (583.63 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
Last edited by Zott on Jan 3rd '10, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jan 3rd '10, 06:11

Aleph one doesn't crash anymore when I use custom textures in visual mode! Woo!

Horkeldorf

Post Jan 3rd '10, 09:28

Thanks again, Treellama! [MLaugh]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 14:19

Zott wrote:Well, firstly, thanks for fixing the Vsync issue, Alephone seems to have no tearing now.

I didn't fix it. You're probably using fullscreen.

Shall I file a bug report on this?
It happens to me, too. Maybe Hopper knows how to fix it. It wouldn't hurt to file a bug, so we don't forget, but that's no guarantee it will be fixed.

In other news, any chance at a x64 version for Windows?

Not for 0.23. It wouldn't get you much, anyway.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 3rd '10, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 19:47

The Up button doesn't work when trying to reload saved games, replay saved films, or when selecting a solo script. Should I file a bug report?

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 3rd '10, 20:17

Hmm, it works for me!

What happens when you click it? "Doesn't work" could mean it crashes, goes up two directories instead of one, goes down a directory, makes a noise but doesn't change directories, doesn't make a noise and doesn't change directories, dismisses the dialog, or makes smoke come out of your computer.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 21:29

Treellama wrote:What happens when you click it? "Doesn't work" could mean it crashes, goes up two directories instead of one, goes down a directory, makes a noise but doesn't change directories, doesn't make a noise and doesn't change directories, dismisses the dialog, or makes smoke come out of your computer.

The button lights up when I click it, but it just sits there in the same directory without making a peep. Did it ever make a noise? I've never heard it. Going into new directories and selecting files works fine, but only if they're located somewhere within the default directory. So far, no smoking.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 3rd '10, 21:31

Zott: can you post a similar screenshot with this plugin enabled? Thanks.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Jan 3rd '10, 22:32

For those who aren't using gamma-corrected blending and seeing Zott's problem, here are some more plugins to play with bloom:
  • Bloomtastic creates a level of bloom on all brightly-lit textures. This is too strong in many situations, but it shows how much bloom can change a level's atmosphere. Maybe this will inspire someone to extend Treellama's bloom plugin with settings for more textures.
  • Awesome Static provides a translucent, glowing effect for invincible and teleporting sprites. It's a compatibility update to the plugin from the preview 1 thread.
Content creators might appreciate these debugging tools:
  • Bump Map Debugger makes all the textures 50% gray, to make bump maps stand out. Thanks to TychoVII for the idea.
  • Model Debugger visualizes the normal directions on 3D models. The shader renderer is more sensitive to normal problems than the classic OpenGL renderer.
  • Bloom Debugger turns everything black except the bloom effects, so you can see exactly how different MML settings affect bloom strength.
Finally, for those who know GLSL and would like to write custom shaders, I'll be writing proper documentation soon. In the meantime, you can use the default shaders as a template.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Jan 3rd '10, 22:58

Hopper wrote:Zott: can you post a similar screenshot with this plugin enabled? Thanks.

I can!

[attachment=3485:Duality_0001.png]
enforcers gone wild
Attachments
Duality_0001.png
Duality_0001.png (270.66 KiB) Viewed 8201 times
Last edited by treellama on Jan 3rd '10, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 23:30

strangest glitch I've ever seen.
Great work though, and now I can run it! WOhoo!
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Jan 3rd '10, 23:58

I'm gett
Attachments
Picture_1.png
Picture_1.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 8194 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 4th '10, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jan 4th '10, 00:10

Shadowbreaker wrote:I'm gett

The 64-bit version requires Snow Leopard.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 5th '10, 14:55

Ares Ex Machina wrote:The button lights up when I click it, but it just sits there in the same directory without making a peep. Did it ever make a noise? I've never heard it. Going into new directories and selecting files works fine, but only if they're located somewhere within the default directory. So far, no smoking.

It's difficult to remember which operating system every user on the Pfhorums uses--are you using Windows?

Do you have any strange characters in the path to your Aleph One folder?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 5th '10, 16:29

If we were to take the textures & such from the XBLA version, in graphical quality this would be pretty hard to tell apart from the XBLA one.

Love the bloom and the removal of the up & down distortion.
Is there a way to increase the player's FOV?
EwoudCP

Post Jan 5th '10, 16:35

EwoudCP wrote:If we were to take the textures & such from the XBLA version, in graphical quality this would be pretty hard to tell apart from the XBLA one.

Love the bloom and the removal of the up & down distortion.
Is there a way to increase the player's FOV?

Yup, with mml :).

And also, is that the distortion of the veiw or the sprites, cos i thought the up-down distortion was really cool, even if it did make the scenery look flat.. more of a reason for 3d monsters and scenery :D
Last edited by Fishman92 on Jan 5th '10, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92

Post Jan 5th '10, 18:56

Fishman92 wrote:Yup, with mml :).

And also, is that the distortion of the veiw or the sprites, cos i thought the up-down distortion was really cool, even if it did make the scenery look flat.. more of a reason for 3d monsters and scenery :D

Did it with mml. It's pretty awesome, especially since I got a widescreen... um... screen.

The sprites are still properly distorted, but the view is fixed.
EwoudCP

Post Jan 5th '10, 20:00

Treellama wrote:are you using Windows?
Yep (Windows XP x64).

Treellama wrote:Do you have any strange characters in the path to your Aleph One folder?
Nope (C:\Games\Marathon\Infinity).

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jan 7th '10, 08:24

I got a new machine, and now the bloom is oh so beautiful. Thank you.
Kurinn

Post Jan 7th '10, 14:25

Actually, it should have worked on your old machine, with RC1. I can even get bloom on my G4/500 :D

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 7th '10, 17:52

Treellama wrote:Actually, it should have worked on your old machine, with RC1. I can even get bloom on my G4/500 :D

Well, I've got a bigger screen now, and the old machine bled out and died on the table. So there.
Kurinn

Post Jan 10th '10, 00:40

Oops, I originally posted this in the wrong thread?

Wow! The new renderer makes Rubicon X look like Half-Life with an HD texture pack, but without 3D models (except that Half-Life didn't have open spaces as large as the ones in Rubicon). Now if only we had seamless levels we could recreate the Monorail ride. Assuming that Aleph One's model support is up to the task?

Evil did look a bit better with the new renderer, but sadly the difference wasn't as noticeable. Still, 3-point perspective rocks! [spnkr]
Last edited by Nobody1707 on Jan 10th '10, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody1707

Return to Aleph One Discussion