Marathon 1 Redux

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Hardgrove's "Aliens Again" is VERY different from the original. Where should it be used?

On The Rose only, use the original for No Artificial Colours
33%
On The Rose AND No Artificial Colours
17%
On No Artificial Colours only, use the original for The Rose
33%
Only use the original track on The Rose and No Artificial Colours
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: Marathon 1 Redux

Post Nov 4th '18, 03:25

Thanks for the visual resources and feedback, I'll see if I can work with this style. I've also been looking for ways to make the rendering more efficient, so I should be able to improve the rendering quality if that pans out.

Also, feel free to use this stuff however you want.

As for what samples are:
For the most part, raytracing is a method of rendering that produces an image by simulating individual randomized paths of light en masse. Each "sample" is one photon for every pixel in the image, with multiple samples being averaged together to create the appearance of a consistent surface. Fewer samples results in erratic shading, producing the grainy effect in this image (its like trying to create a population demographic map by only studying a few people per area)

General Tacticus

Post Nov 4th '18, 03:56

Cool, thanks. When you get the render finalised, how much work would it be to make nighttime/midday variants? I assume the current render is sunset/sunrise, which looks amazing, but I do have a tendency to have three different variants of planet landscapes (at least, that’s what I’ve done for M2, M∞, Tempus, and Tim Vogel’s adaptation of Craig Mullins’ tower). It’s obviously not worth bothering making three different renders now if you’re going to be making more changes to the landscape, though. In any case, of the levels I have planned for the Tau Ceti arc, one currently is daytime, one currently is dusk, and one currently is nighttime. This can obviously change if it’s too much work to make different renders, but it would seem kinda weird to have the sun in the same position for all the different levels.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 4th '18, 06:11

Heck, it's weird enough for the Marathon to constantly be in the same position above the colony, but unless I figure out a way for Celestia to output an equirectangular panorama, space will stay as it is.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 4th '18, 07:11

Agreed, but the Marathon’s position in space seems somehow less conspicuous than the position of the sun. If that doesn’t change across several levels, that seems likelier to be the sort of thing large numbers of players will notice.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 4th '18, 21:40

Changing the time of day should be really easy, just a matter of changing the light direction/sky input vector.

I was thinking of making a post-bombardment version for missions that would take place after the spaceport is nuked, those would look best at night, I think.

General Tacticus

Post Nov 4th '18, 23:03

Yeah, that would certainly be a bit different! The spaceport itself will probably be modelled on-map- intact for the prolouge, and then destroyed if you get to go down - but fighting/slaving on the colony's fringes would probably result in fires, smoke, and whatnot.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Nov 5th '18, 01:04

I could have the two skies be rendered from different locations, if the surface levels call for it.

General Tacticus

Post Nov 5th '18, 01:45

At the moment, the colony missions are little more than nebulous ideas for objectives. I don't want to say more than I have, have you make something, and then wind up wanting to go in a different direction or cutting things later. For now, render what you enjoy rendering or what suits your ideas :-) I certainly appreciate your efforts, and it's nice to have you pushing to get me thinking.... but right now I need to write week-overdue lab reports.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Previous

Return to Projects