Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post May 6th '19, 05:10

Thanks. I’m not going to rush to complete it overnight or anything; I’m probably going to be fairly busy myself the next couple of weeks. I think the version of “Core Done Blew” I posted a couple days ago can probably just be slotted in as is; I don’t know if anyone made any further changes to the level after I did, but it doesn’t look like it. Other than that, I think the only things worth changing for 1.2.1 are “Unwired” and the “S’pht’ia” trap I noted above. The rest of my planned changes can wait until 1.3; I suspect upwards of 95% of the work is already done for all three of those, though, so I’d prefer to have them out sooner rather than later.

Upon further examination, I can’t tell why the Wasps seem so much smaller in Eternal. The scale factor appears to be the same between Eternal, M1A1, Rubicon, and Chronicles, but they definitely seem smaller in Eternal. It appears that they move significantly faster in Eternal, so they might just seem smaller because their speed makes them a lot more difficult to hit.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 7th '19, 22:38

I feel as though I owe an explanation for why I reacted so harshly above. I don’t know if I can provide one that will make sense to anyone else, because it seems that I’ve been subject to several other misreadings as well, but it’s apparent by now that I’m going to keep obsessing over this if I don’t at least attempt.

When I noticed that a couple of changes I thought I’d submitted to a few levels weren’t there, I was mildly annoyed. In particular, I knew I’d fixed a few things in “Core Done Blew” that weren’t functioning correctly in 1.2.0. So I made a brief post about it, noting that some things that were supposed to be there weren’t. At the point of that post, I thought it was about two or three hours’ worth of work that was missing. It wasn’t until my second post that I realised just how much hadn’t gotten rolled in. I wasn’t going to ask for a 1.2.1 release over two hours of missing work, but the amount missing was probably much closer to ten.

The other factor that changed my mind was that Dr Sumner was complaining about the difficulty of “Unwired”. If I have a problem with a level’s difficulty, my initial conclusion will probably be that I just suck at the level. If Dr Sumner has a problem with the difficulty, my conclusion is that the level sucks. The bit that convinced me in particular:

As much time and effort as everyone has put into the development of 1.2, it seems to me that at least a patch (no need to view it as a new numbered release) to correct these problems would be welcomed. Otherwise, I am afraid very few TC players are going to want to play this version. I will probably be one of those. I imagine I’ll have to wait until 1.3 comes out.

I found myself increasingly annoyed over this, but I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible despite that, because I absolutely didn’t want a repeat of the “Run, Coward!” drama. Obviously my attempts at diplomacy didn’t help; in hindsight, if anything, I suspect those efforts just made the argument worse in the long run. I’ll be the first to acknowledge I wasn’t trying to veil my criticism of the level balance, but I was trying to avoid arguing on any other count; indeed, I apologised something like six times on the previous page on various counts. After being accused of arguing on counts other than the level balance anyway, I no longer felt even the slightest inclination to mince words.

There were two other factors compounding my annoyance. The first is that, essentially, this particular change to the map balance was rolled into the level over my explicit objections, as documented above. If I had known that the released version of the level was going to be like that, I would have objected again before the game was even released. I was preoccupied with real-life tasks for the first part of 2019, and I hadn’t gotten around to playing the level again until fairly recently. Because I had made those objections known well in advance of the release date, I felt as though a level that – again – I spent a long time polishing up was effectively ruined over my explicit objections. This may not have been anyone’s intention, but because people seemed, for whatever reason, to be insisting that the level not be changed, it sure as hell felt personal.

The last factor was – again – that I explicitly asked three times for information about how the level was changed, and Lia flat-out ignored all three of those requests while responding directly on other counts – including to criticise me for my tone. I would have accepted “I won’t have time to write up a list until after finals” as a response; that’s a perfectly understandable excuse. Having that request flat-out ignored, however, felt like an entire day’s worth of tedious work just being blown off. Which, again, felt like a personal insult. If you have enough time to criticise the tone of a participant in an argument, you have at least enough time to say that you don’t have time to list all the changes you’ve made to a level.

None of this particularly excuses my conduct. I feel awful that things got that far out of hand. To be clear, I’m still furious. I don’t like that, because 99% of the time I have no quibble with any of you and don’t particularly like being angry at anyone here, particularly when there are far greater problems with the world. I don’t particularly know if any of this was actually intended as a personal slight, but I definitely poured more effort into “Unwired” than I did into the rest of the first chapter combined, and I certainly took it personally.

There’s a lot more at work here than a video game, though – I’ve certainly made no secret of the other issues I’m dealing with – and I strongly regret that it got this far out of hand. I’m likely to be in a rotten mood for at least a few more weeks until I find a new medication balance, and I apologise in advance for that as well. There is a chance that, apart from submitting new versions of levels when the relevant information is made available to me, I may simply not post at all.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 7th '19, 23:00

Thanks for that explanation Aaron. For my part I haven't been upset at anybody here for anything, I'm just grateful that you're all helping with my project in the first place. I'm so swamped with other stuff in life that I can barely keep track of anything anyone else is doing, and around the original intended release date when all this got mixed up, that was even worse, so I've really completely lost track of everything since then.

That situation with me is not likely to change until at best October and probably later than that still, so I'm basically going to reply on one or both of you to tell me when this has all been resolved to everyone's satisfaction and to either submit a PR or a set of (only) changed files that I can roll in myself, and then I will playtest only those changes levels myself just to be sure nothing got completely broken in the process and put out a .1 release.

Pfhorrest
California

Previous

Return to Projects