Finding old scenarios

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Finding old scenarios

Post May 13th '18, 23:23

There are several scenarios I’d like to play again/for the first time, but I haven’t the faintest idea where to locate patched versions of them. Google hasn’t been much help, at least within the first several results. There are several sites that appear to have them, but are broken.

• Megiddo Game. I can get it from my Trilogy CD, but I’m almost certain I’d have to figure out emulation to make it work. I intend to do this someday, but if someone has an already patched/SDL-converted version, it’d certainly be convenient in the short run.

• Missed Island. Same deal as Megiddo; I’m pretty sure there was a shapes patch for it and I don’t think it’s been SDL converted. There appear to be links to both of these on Fileball, but they seem to be dead. (I think I recall reading that Fileball itself is no longer functional.)

• Gemini Station. I recommended this for testing Marathon Unity because it’s super complex and came out before Aleph One development began; it’s playable without the shapes patch, but a few elements look quite silly. There’s an SDL conversion already, but does someone have a patched version of the shapes?

• Noah’s Ark. Old M1 TC. I don’t recall ever even playing this one, but when I re-read the Story Page I found Randy Reddig raving about it in his comments about “Ne cede malis”, indicating that it was a major inspiration for the level, so I want to see what the fuss is about.

• Trojan: Legacy. I didn’t know this was ever released, but the Traxus wiki indicates it was released in demo form. It sounded amazing from the creators’ descriptions, though I’m sure a lot of what they’ve described is commonplace in scenarios nowadays given what Aleph One is capable of, but I’m still curious to see the demo.

(For that matter, does anyone have QT2.5 versions of the original Trojan music? Preferably FLAC, but I’ll take MP3, M4A, or Ogg Vorbis if those are all that’s available.)

That’s probably it for now. If anyone has links for any/all of these, I’d be most grateful. In return, I’d probably be happy to start making a more comprehensive set of links to these sorts of things, since I assume they’re scattered around the Internets by now. It’s easy to find most of the big scenarios like Eternal, Phoenix, and Tempus Irae, but some of the smaller ones have fallen by the wayside, and for that matter, even Rubicon’s website seems to go missing fairly often (though it’s currently back again).
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 14th '18, 00:36

SDL patched versions of Gemini Station & Missed Island are available on moddb: http://www.moddb.com/games/marathon-infinity/addons

I've never heard about Noah's Ark before but I have an AlephOne compatible version of Megiddo & the Trojan Legacy Demo release uploaded here: https://cl.ly/3V3g3G0U3O2m

https://cl.ly/1u3W3Q3B0I05

thedoctor45

Post May 14th '18, 01:13

Thanks for all of these; I’m downloading them all now and will edit this reply later if I have any problems.

ETA: Missed Island and Gemini Station don’t seem to be patched; they just have the shapes patchers, but it looks like everything downloaded with no problems. I haven’t actually run any of them yet, though; I’ll update further if I have any other issues.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 14th '18, 10:09

Not sure I can help here, unfortunately (scenario files don't like being moved from the eMac to my main comp), but I'd like to say: I'd be pretty stoked if you or anyone else in this thread could get M1-based fan scenarios in a playable-on-modern-PCs state somehow. There was a lot of interesting stuff from that era (including "big" scenarios like Trojan and Operation Tantalus) and I don't like the idea of it being effectively lost.

(If there are already ways of playing M1 scenarios outside of emulation--which I don' think I have the means to do, in this case--I don't see them discussed much)
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post May 14th '18, 11:26

the M2 Windows version of Trojan can be run under Wine on OSX & Linux, but other than that I can only suggest Basilisk II or SheepShaver.

thedoctor45

Post May 14th '18, 12:11

Aleph One should be able to play original Marathon scenarios, but we never tested any. You're welcome to try some and report back.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 14th '18, 14:08

thedoctor45

Post May 14th '18, 17:29

I‘ve converted/patched most of the M1 scenarios from the old fileball archive for use with AlephOne 1.2.1 - some work quite well but sometimes I get this error when loading a custom map file:

Bild 2.PNG

You can grab the file over here and take a look for yourself: https://cl.ly/0V3A2Z1v1S03

regards
doc

thedoctor45

Post May 14th '18, 19:59

BTW, I've very briefly tried Megiddo and it works fine as long as you're not a derp like me and don't forget to disable the HD shapes plugins at first. I'll look at some of those M1 scenarios later. Thanks for the links.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 14th '18, 21:05

Well, I tried playing Operation Tantalus first by putting A1 in the folder (didn't work), then via M1. REALLY didn't work; just trying to switch to the OT .appl crashed M1, then trying to exit Preferences without switching .appls not only crashed M1 again, but force-loaded it straight to the credits when I tried reopening it. Had to delete the "Other" folder I'd set up there in order to rescue it.

Am I not using the right version of A1 or something? (Folder's named "AlephOne-20150620"; I haven't renamed it)

General-RADIX

Post May 14th '18, 22:20

Most scenarios work fine for me using the latest Marathon download on Sourceforge https://sourceforge.net/projects/marath ... p/download

I'm on OS X though, there could be a resource fork issue on Windows or idk..

thedoctor45

Post May 14th '18, 22:28

I'm using Windows 7. Might have to try this again if I ever get a chance to use an OS X machine that's not the eMac (it's old and I'unno if it can run the latest A1).

General-RADIX

Post May 14th '18, 22:36

General-RADIX wrote:I'm using Windows 7. Might have to try this again if I ever get a chance to use an OS X machine that's not the eMac (it's old and I'unno if it can run the latest A1).

How big is the extracted scenarios folder on your machine? Is it 250 or rather around 50 MB?

thedoctor45

Post May 15th '18, 07:35

thedoctor45 wrote:How big is the extracted scenarios folder on your machine? Is it 250 or rather around 50 MB?

It's 253 MB (probably the same size it was after deleting the A1 copies I tried to use to run OT and Noah's Ark).

General-RADIX

Post May 18th '18, 15:43

Have anyone heard of Marathon Infested? I want to make a game on the engine it used and want to know where the creator are.
Screamernail

Post May 18th '18, 18:45

Marathon Infested was a standalone indie game developed on the Dim3 game engine by Alexander Smith.

http://www.indiedb.com/members/alexandersmith

I don't think he's active on the Pfhorums anymore though, but you can try to PM him here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1310

regards
doc

thedoctor45

Return to Marathon Discussion