Weland 1.4.4

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Weland 1.4.4

Post Jul 30th '18, 01:24

Weland 1.4.4 is available from GitHub:

https://github.com/treellama/weland/releases/tag/v1.4.4

A few minor changes, most notably support for the original Marathon compatibility flags in Aleph One.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 30th '18, 05:34

Can Weland support mapping for Marathon 1 now?
Screamernail

Post Jul 30th '18, 07:12

No screamernail it does not open M1 maps. But now it can do all the things M1 maps do! I think! Yeay, thanks Treelama! Now I don't have to muck about in Okteta or worry about whether my flags stay set [MUp]

Weland properly reading a level I had flagged by hand:

weland.png

I'm curious about $0200, "Activation Range." In the documentation I saw it labelled "M1 monster activation limits" and assumed it had to do with the number of active monsters, but "range" sounds like distances or polygons away from the player or activation noise? Hm. Also, saying just "Activation range" might mislead someone unfamiliar into thinking it has to do with the range of the action key, assuming that's not what it is.

Also $0020 "Ouch is Lava," with the previous description "the floor is lava" I assumed it made platforms flood, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption?

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jul 30th '18, 12:12

Activation range changes the behavior of monster activation to match that in Marathon. I don't recall all the details, but scanning the code, it looks like it makes monster activation respect the weapon activation range, limits monster activation by polygon area and delta height, stops activation at monster impassible and closed doors, and prevents monsters from activating immediately at the start of a level.

Ouch is lava emulates the Marathon behavior for ouch polygons: it removes corpses and prevents monsters from going into the lava.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 30th '18, 18:19

Oh, wow, I was wondering why all the BoBs in this one level I did were all making a beeline for the lava and getting themselves toasted. Thanks for the explanation!

Hm. Testing shows my theory wrong, too, lowered platforms next to ouch polygons still don't flood, regardless of whether the "Ouch is Lava" and/or "Locked Door" (which looks to be the same as M1 "floods") are set. That's fine for me, I'll just use liquid lava, but on the off chance anyone wants that behaviour, it seems to be unavailable.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Post Jul 30th '18, 20:09

Thank you for Weland existing. :)

Having just tried opening it for the first time in ages, I needed to reinstall Mono to get it to run, and you might like to know that the URL in the readme for the Mac Mono download is 404. The current link appears to be:

http://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 29th '18, 23:22

The editor crashes upon opening a map with M1 Flags .
here is a screenshot of the error.
Attachments
WelandError.png
Screenshot of the Error
obsidianCarnageX12

Post Aug 30th '18, 13:42

That sharing violation may mean the file is open in another program. For example, I see Aleph One running on your taskbar!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 30th '18, 14:39

Yep , found that out right after i posted .
obsidianCarnageX12

Post Sep 13th '18, 22:12

treellama, why can't the Visual Mode be added to Weland? I tried to find a post on the Pfhorum about this but could not.
MADDmike

Post Sep 13th '18, 23:12

Adding a Visual Mode to Weland would basically mean writing lots and lots of code to replicate the functionality which already exists as AlephOne plug-ins (vasara/visual mode.lua). So it's possible but no one would gain much and it would cost a lot of time and effort.

$lave

Post Sep 17th '18, 01:22

Sorry for not being punctual to thank you for your answer, but Thanks $lave. But, this just brings up another question: Can you bring AlephOne and Weland together? Wasn't the visual mode in Forge a stript down engine of that Marathon 2 engine of the game?
MADDmike

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera