Marathon on Sheapshaver troubleshooting

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Marathon on Sheapshaver troubleshooting

Post Sep 13th '18, 22:09

Continuing from the First Post

I have no problem playing marathon 1 on Sheapshaver. The reason that you can q-⌘ out of the game when it locks-up means that it is something within Sheapshaver or the settings you have for Sheapshaver in the SheapShaverGUI.

Do you have anything else running within Sheapshaver during marathon?
Did you install the "Input Sprockets" that came with M∞ or did you install the ones from another game?
What other Extensions in the "Extension Folder" are in there that is not original?
What OS are you running?
How much RAM are you giving Sheapshaver(SheapshaverGUI) and Marathon 1 (within Sheapshaver)?
And, what version of Sheapshaver do you have? I ask that only because there was an update that had to fix Sheapshaver to help get Ambrosha games to work better (but not perfectly).
MADDmike

Post Sep 14th '18, 01:47

Other things running: nope, nothing

InputSprockets: did not install any myself. They may have come pre-installed in the downloads I was using, which were probably the New World PPC ROM and the Mac OS 9 Boot Image on this page. I don’t recall having to use any installers when I installed M1/2/∞; I got them from http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org, which I think were just .sit archives of working copies of the games.

Extensions: oh god, there’s a lot of them. IDK which were original; again, they were all there in the install I grabbed. I haven’t added any myself.

RAM: I think I gave it 256 MB (or MiB; IDK) RAM when I started it up. I figured that’d probably be plenty, but if it needs more I can increase it. I’m currently giving Marathon a minimum size of 3,815 KB (KiB?) and a preferred size of 4,411 KB, the latter of which is the suggested amount.

SheepShaver version: Seems to be the 2014/02/01 build.

If needed, I can also .zip up my folder and upload it somewhere. It might actually be easier to troubleshoot that way, depending upon whether you’re also running OSX. The whole thing is only about 370 MiB when compressed so it shouldn’t be a big deal to upload. Alternately, if you’re running yours on OSX or Win 7 (preferably the former, since my Mac is about five times faster than my Windows box), maybe you could just send your install to me and perhaps it’d work on my machine.

In any case, thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

…and while I’m thinking of it, I forget how you zap the PRAM, but that’s necessary to make the app icons display correctly, isn’t it? I think SheepShaver comes with a script for that, so it might not be something I have to look up how to do. IDK.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 14th '18, 02:27

I have nothing more to add than it's spelled SheepShaver.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 14th '18, 03:23

Sheapshaver has sorted heaps. S-heaps haver.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Sep 16th '18, 22:39

Sorry for the delay. Just in case I don't post again for a few days here is a few things to try. I will keep trying to get a fix that will work if these do not.

-Zapping the PRAM should not be needed for this. FYI, Marathon (1/2/∞) itself does not install anything into your System Folder other then the "preference file" in the selfsame name folder that is created after you first start the game.

-The problem is not your RAM you do have more then enough, but, there was a problem in SheepShaver that you needed to have 512MB for the RAM (I think it may have been SheepShaver 2013, but its worth a try).

-For marathon itself i forget how much RAM you need to give it to get the music.

-I know for the windows version of SheepShaver it has a checkbox for "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses", Do you have it in the Mac OSX version? if you have it make sure its check.

-Try to download and install another MacOS, there is 7.5.5 (which is free) or you can try to find another OS but you should try to use a system 7.5 - 7.6 to rule out the "Extensions Folder" and OS. (I can't give you a like for the MacOS for the old links don't work anymore you will have to try to find them).

-Make a VHD that is 75-125MB (system 7 only needs 20-50MB). Install only the minimum installation for the OS (but do install QuickTime). And install Marathon 1 (and only marathon 1) in that new VHD and play it in SheepShaver. If the problem still happens then it is the version of SheepShaver itself. You will either have to use the Windows or Linux version.
MADDmike

Post Sep 17th '18, 10:17

I was just curious about the PRAM because I want to get the application icons to show up right. But it’s a small deal overall. I didn’t think it would end up being necessary.

I increased the RAM size to 512 MB and checked the “ignore illegal memory accesses” thing, and it now runs for longer, but it still freezes eventually.

Also, I’ve got a system drive with 120 MB on it and made a secondary drive of 512 MB, so I kind of doubt disk space is a concern, as I’ve got 325 MB free on the latter. On the other hand, maybe the system drive needs to be larger. IDK. I’ll see if I can figure it out later this week.

I’ll try some of the other stuff over the next few days, but I need to get some more sleep. Thanks for the suggestions.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Sep 22nd '18, 01:02

Sorry if I have overloaded you, I just gave some solutions for if anyone else as well was having the same problems.

By the way, Zapping the PRAM is you holding down the 'control' + 'option' + 'r' + 'P' key during startup. And, to disable ALL Exstentions you hold the left 'Shift' key down during startup as well.
MADDmike

Post Sep 22nd '18, 01:19

It’s fine. I haven’t been paying close attention to emulation right now anyway – was preoccupied with pushing out a new alpha of Chronicles, which is now done, but I’m going to make some contributions to Eternal over the next few days as well, most likely. I’ll try to get back to it within the next week, though.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera