Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge

Post Oct 19th '18, 20:49

So I'm trying to get back into playing Marathon again. Feeling a bit nostalgic after not having messed around with any of the scenarios in a couple years. One of the scenarios I wanted to play again was Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge. I never finished the Aleph One version of the game, so I wanted to finally give it a try. I went over to the website today to try and download it, but I can't seem to get the sites to load at all. Does anyone know what's going on with that? I really would love to play that scenario again.

On other topic, does anyone know if the Unreal Tournament version on Steam works with Marathon: Resurrection at all? Kind of curious about that.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Oct 20th '18, 00:47

I think the most recent version is mirrored here.

Don't know about Resurrection working with Steam!UT, though. Is there any significant difference between the Steam and non-Steam versions? If not, then I'unno why Resurrection wouldn't run under the Steam version as well...
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Oct 20th '18, 01:02

Thanks! Although for whatever reason I can't seem to get the game to run. Keeps coming up with an error. System error occurred because it couldn't read the map or saved file.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Oct 20th '18, 01:26

IIRC, Excalibur made a rather large number of changes to A1's source code. It's possible it hasn't been updated to work with more recent versions of the application. However, the error you're describing almost makes it sound like it can't find some of the specific files the scenario is looking for. Is it perhaps searching for, i.e., "Map" when the file is named "Map.sceA"? IDK. It might help to have the exact error message you're getting.

Anyway, it's possible it won't work with A1 1.2 or more recent versions. I don't recall the exact specifics, but I'm almost certain they recoded aspects of the engine, so you may need to use an older version of the app.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Oct 20th '18, 01:37

Yeah it literally says that a system error occurred while attempting to read from your map or saved game file (error 2). As for the version of Aleph One, when I installed EMR, it had it's own version of Aleph One already with it. The map file is titled Quest.sceA, which the quest part is unique to the scenario. It's the only one with that label. Everything else doesn't have a suffix such as shpA or sndA.

Destiny
TEXAS

Post Oct 20th '18, 02:52

See what the .mml scripts files say as far as file names. You may need to add or remove extensions from them, depending on what variables are set. This may be complicated as well, depending upon your operating system. I'd add more but I'm about to crash; the NyQuil has kicked in for real and I'm not going to be conscious much longer.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Oct 20th '18, 06:48

On other topic, does anyone know if the Unreal Tournament version on Steam works with Marathon: Resurrection at all? Kind of curious about that.

I do know that the UT '99 Game of the Year edition over at GOG works with Marathon Resurrection at least.

JohannesG

Post Oct 30th '18, 22:32

Thanks for the info on that, Johannes. Managed to get the mod running. It does lag quite a bit, and load times are rather atrocious, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Destiny
TEXAS

Return to Marathon Discussion