Colony Ship for Sale Puzzle Restored?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Colony Ship for Sale Puzzle Restored?

Post Nov 1st '18, 22:37

Hey all!

I'm a longtime Marathon fan. I've played the Aleph One versions of the original game, and I remembered that they simplified the notorious puzzle in "Colony Ship for Sale, Cheap!"

However, I downloaded Aleph One Marathon a few nights ago, and the puzzle seems to be back. Did they restore it? Is there a way to turn it off? I got the file from alephone.lhowon.org.
WellTemperedClavier

Post Nov 1st '18, 22:49

In the current version of M1-for-A1, the "Colony Ship" puzzle is restored for the sake of authenticity. In M1A1 (the original attempt to port M1 to Aleph One, which I think ran on the M2/Infinity engine due to technical issues in porting the original game's engine that hadn't been resolved at the time), the platforms' height was automatic.

AFAIK, there's no way to make the heights automatic in M1-for-A1.
welcome to the scene of the crash

General-RADIX

Post Nov 1st '18, 22:50

General-RADIX wrote:In the current version of M1-for-A1, the "Colony Ship" puzzle is restored for the sake of authenticity. In M1A1 (the original attempt to port M1 to Aleph One, which I think ran on the M2/Infinity engine due to technical issues in porting the original game's engine that hadn't been resolved at the time), the platforms' height was automatic.

AFAIK, there's no way to make the heights automatic in M1-for-A1.

Ah, okay. I'm going to have to say that I don't think authenticity was really desirable in this case, but it is what it is.

Thanks!
WellTemperedClavier

Post Nov 2nd '18, 00:01

I believe that the current download of Marathon 1 is just the actual original Marathon 1 files, because Aleph One can play those now, so we don't need a port anymore.

Anyone with an M1 map editor (can Weland do M1 maps now?) could go in and edit the platforms on Colony Ship to be like M1A1 had them, if they wanted to; there's no technical reason that they couldn't be like that in the original, they just aren't like that in the original.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Nov 2nd '18, 00:08

While you guys are at it, someone should restore the far more authentic PiD starting room as well.

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 2nd '18, 00:36

Just grenade jump past it. I need to get SheepShaver working better so I can post John's film, but any good speedrun of the game should demonstrate the strategy too.

ETA: now that I’m on a real computer, here’s an example
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Nov 2nd '18, 12:07

You can still get the old M1A1 here http://files3.bungie.org/trilogy/M1A1.zip

The Colony Ship for Sale puzzle is easier, but lots of other stuff is less enjoyable.

Just add the latest Aleph One and it should still work. Let us know if it doesn't!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 3rd '18, 02:44

FWIW, M1R also omits the shortcut for the time being, although ultimately that room will be redesigned for other reasons. It does let you do one certain thing you could do only in M1A1, but it won't be of any benefit unless you're playing co-op or enjoy dying.

ravenshining
Hawai'i

Return to Aleph One Discussion