Need feedback from iOS users

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Need feedback from iOS users

Post Jan 14th '19, 02:32

As some of you know, over the last couple of years I've been working with Blezek on updating his iOS port of the Marathon series. More than a few people have been disappointed lately that the games are not built for new OS versions and devices, or some features (such as multiplayer) were never implemented.

Things have gotten better: the little box in front of every feature request now contains a check mark! I'm hoping that these improvements will provide a first-class mobile FPS experience within Aleph One's classic aesthetic. Maybe this can even attract some new fodd^h^h^h^h players to the community.

Because it's been six years between revisions, I figured it would be wise to get some feedback from you folks in case I missed (or botched) something important. Here's a link if you would to test a beta of Marathon Infinity for iOS 12:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/ltVcRXpr

TrajansRow

Post Jan 14th '19, 13:26

Things may have gotten better for now, but the core problem with the iOS Aleph One release hasn't been solved: the community does not have control of its development and releases on the App Store. Instead, it was up to the single Bungie-sanctioned developer to represent the game at its best and that sure didn't happen.

We're a little better about this with the PC version, since we can add members to the GitHub project to ensure new maintainers can step up when old ones (ahem) burn out. Anyone is also free to release their own version of Aleph One (although this hasn't happened, mainly due to our efforts at accommodating contributions).

I wish I had an answer to this on the iOS side but the design of the app store makes it difficult.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 14th '19, 13:58

I think you’re right; it’s more or less an issue with all digital distribution systems. Hopefully as competition between platforms increases, they become more open.

For now I’m doing my best to make this a good representation of the project. I expect that the community will let me know if I’ve slipped up anywhere.

TrajansRow

Post Jan 14th '19, 15:51

Thanks for stepping up. I'll give it a try on my phone :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 18th '19, 11:24

Unfortunately for me, I'm an Android user. But I wish this project the best! (And maybe not forget about the far more open platform?) :)

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jan 19th '19, 17:03

I’d be interested in contributing to an Android port, but I’m not in a position to initiate a project like that myself. I’ve not heard of any attempts to run the engine on Android yet.

TrajansRow

Return to Aleph One Discussion