Annotated Marathon Eternal X Omega 1.2 maps?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Annotated Marathon Eternal X Omega 1.2 maps?

Post Apr 13th '19, 08:42

My screenshot run of Eternal X Omega AKA 1.1 is done and I hope to start writing the Tour of Duty for Eternal in 1.2 in a day or so. (it will have its own screenshots, barring the odd comparison or terminal shot)

All I need now is annotated maps for the writeups -as Perseus Spartacus gave me to use with the Pathways into Darkness Tour of Duty- ala the spoiler guide for the trilogy (like I think was used in the original trilogy Tour series).

Like the PID ones, they could also help with navigation as some maps in Eternal are pretty mazelike, though nowhere near as bad as Rubicon and I'm speaking of an issue with only a very small number of maps in Eternal X 1.0 and 1.1. Most maps are still mazelike but more the good kind of mazelike where you can find your way through just fine on repeat playthroughs without much trouble, like both the main trilogy, a few of the other mods like Tempus Irae as well as other 2.5D shooters and the best mods for them. (not naming names of such games this time, but there's at least two, possibly three)

There will be a manual style prologue like with the PID Tour, but this time it will include the actual Eternal prologue in it as well as it actually has one, unlike PID. I will also be using the Aleph One 1.3 beta 2 (or was it 1.2?) i.e. 20181006 because the latest build, 1.3 beta 3 causes Eternal 1.2 to crash from a memory issue if HD textures are on, just like the older complete version whereas this other one runs fine. halosammy had this problem too.

Last but not least, I will also be using Liacrow's Rain map as even though my PC is 2013 hardware and I don't know when my Mac was built (it was a hand me down from my dad's work), I hope it is still powerful enough to run it alright, as it's weathered stuttery modern games with slightly higher specs before. (Like Shadow of the Tomb Raider as the most recent example) I can always switch back if i run into trouble but I hope to use this version of the map to showcase her work on it.

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 14th '19, 20:24

There isn’t an official spoiler guide, and I’m not entirely sure there ever will be. My Vid films of the 1.2 betas are the closest thing, but they’re not exactly text walkthroughs, and I haven’t played the final versions of several of the levels; the failure dreams in particular now have new routes through them, but I haven’t gotten around to playing them. The secret route through “Deep Into the Grotto” is also different, and again, I haven’t filmed it. On the other hand, “Killing the Giants as They Sleep” has been simplified a lot since I played it; I’m given to understand that Pfhorrest stripped out the entire switch puzzle on the upper decks, as it was annoying to navigate and no longer plot-relevant.

I can’t speak for any of the other developers, but I can’t imagine myself having time to write text walkthroughs of any of these levels for a long time. It may never happen, honestly, as I have a large number of other projects that I expect to take priority; if I ever do create one, it probably won’t be until 1.3 is finished, because otherwise I’d probably end up having to rewrite a significant amount of my own work. However, I also suspect my films will sufficiently demonstrate how to get through most of the levels. Should you find yourself lost in the failure dreams, you’ll probably want to ask ravenshining, as she’s the one who changed the layouts since I last filmed them. The changes to “Deep Into the Grotto” will only affect the speedrun route, but if you want to show that for completeness, she’ll know about that as well.

I have asked the maintainers of lhowon.org to update the versions of the Eternal levels on their site to the 1.2 versions; I have no idea how long that will take, nor how time-consuming it would be to do. I actually told them that if it would take several hours, it probably wasn’t worth bothering until 1.3 came out. If worst comes to worst, I can submit screenshots of each level from Weland. They won’t be that detailed, though, and I probably won’t be able to get to it immediately.

At some point I do hope to film all the official versions of the levels, but it will probably be a few months still. I’m also going to use the versions with precipitation, as I know they run OK on my Mac. (For the record, my Mac is from 2015, so I think you’ll probably be fine.)

Sorry for the delayed response; I’ve had a number of real-world commitments that will take precedence for a few months. (This is also why I haven’t filmed the final versions of the maps yet.)
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 14th '19, 20:30

I'm pretty sure Hopper made the scripts to generate those level layouts available somewhere. There's no reason you couldn't generate them yourself and upload them here or something.

Wrkncacnter

Post Apr 14th '19, 21:21

Wrkncacnter wrote:I'm pretty sure Hopper made the scripts to generate those level layouts available somewhere. There's no reason you couldn't generate them yourself and upload them here or something.

I had no idea such scripts existed until now. I can have a look and see what I can do. Maybe simplic7y has them.

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 16th '19, 03:47

If you find them, let me know!

I’m also in the process of uploading new videos for the failure dreams. (Actually, they’re already uploaded; I just need to finish writing the descriptions.) As it turns out, the new secret path through “Deep Into the Grotto” is basically the same apart from now requiring a grenade jump, but I’ll still upload a new video for that as well at some point, because Lia spruced up the secret area a bit.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 16th '19, 03:56

Hopper puts all of his stuff on github. It's really easy to find.

Wrkncacnter

Post Apr 16th '19, 04:07

This one? Thanks; I’ll look into it soon. (I’ve got to be up fairly early tomorrow morning, at least by my standards.)

ETA: Films of the failure dreams are up. Going to bed in a moment probably, but I’ve also done about five other levels and will upload them over the next few days.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 16th '19, 14:13

The Man wrote:This one? Thanks; I’ll look into it soon. (I’ve got to be up fairly early tomorrow morning, at least by my standards.)

ETA: Films of the failure dreams are up. Going to bed in a moment probably, but I’ve also done about five other levels and will upload them over the next few days.

It appears to be source code. Is there a working one? I'm on windows right now and my windows machine doesn't have compilers. My mac has the Mono compiler I used (with research and some help) to compile plugins I got for weland.

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 16th '19, 16:09

It's Perl, you don't need to compile it.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 16th '19, 18:35

treellama wrote:It's Perl, you don't need to compile it.

Thanks. I've actually started writing the prologue now. (I hope I don't take 4 years like I did with PID, assuming I'm the only one doing it again) Does that mean I select it as a solo script, or put it in with the MML ones in the game folder?

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 16th '19, 18:56

Pfhorrest wrote:https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-install-and-run-perl-2641103

Do I install activeperl or strawberry perl?

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 16th '19, 19:09

that link wrote:If you're a beginner, choose ActivePerl.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Apr 16th '19, 19:36

Pfhorrest wrote:
that link wrote:If you're a beginner, choose ActivePerl.

Thanks. So I use the command prompt to run the map2xml and mapxml2images before playing the game. I think, anyway. The readme doesn't say if I run the game with the scripts going after switching them on in perl or if there's anything else I need to do upon setting them to run.

As for my writing progress, I'm currently writing the (longish) intro part with terminal images spliced into the document like a sort of manual. I hope to do chapter 1 just after the prologue but before posting chapter 0 so as not to waste people's time reading my crap. I don't know how many maps I'll cover but I think an ideal way would be to do up to the failure plank and cover the two planks in each chapter as a separate part.

Alternately I could just do it on a map by map basis like the original trilogy Tour series on the main story page. Which way is better? (assuming I end up being the only one doing it like I was with PID)

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Post Apr 16th '19, 20:20

The structure of the game is as follows:

Prologue

Then five chapters’ worth of:

• three linear levels

• one branch level

• failure branch with two regular levels and a dream (note that all five failure dreams have roughly the same architecture, and all of them are named after elements of Donnie Darko)

• success branch with two regular levels and a dream, except for chapter five, which has three regular levels (however, the last of these is the success dream for the first four chapters in reverse order)
Then finally the epilogue, which is the success dream for chapter five (and is also the prologue in reverse order), giving you a total of 52 levels.

I would recommend just doing the levels in numerical order as listed in the map file, so failure branch and then success branch for each chapter. You can probably write up all the stuff for the branch level the first time you visit it rather than having two separate entries for it. If you do that, you’ll end up with exactly the same order that’s used in the map file.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Apr 16th '19, 20:48

The Man wrote:The structure of the game is as follows:

Prologue

Then five chapters’ worth of:

• three linear levels

• one branch level

• failure branch with two regular levels and a dream (note that all five failure dreams have roughly the same architecture, and all of them are named after elements of Donnie Darko)

• success branch with two regular levels and a dream, except for chapter five, which has three regular levels (however, the last of these is the success dream for the first four chapters in reverse order)
Then finally the epilogue, which is the success dream for chapter five (and is also the prologue in reverse order), giving you a total of 52 levels.

I would recommend just doing the levels in numerical order as listed in the map file, so failure branch and then success branch for each chapter. You can probably write up all the stuff for the branch level the first time you visit it rather than having two separate entries for it. If you do that, you’ll end up with exactly the same order that’s used in the map file.

Thanks. By the way, what was the name of the Tau Ceti e colony city again? I think I saw it as "New Thermopylae" in the M1 Redux thread.

EDIT: Also, where does the script store the XMS/image files on Windows? I'm not sure how to use the two map scripts correctly, nor if I have to split a merged wad first.

Lion O Cyborg
UK (which is IN EUROPE!)

Return to Marathon Discussion