UESC Marathon BOB Crewman

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.

Post Jun 19th '10, 00:12

Well, this whole thing sorta came from the problem of the art styles and settings of M1/M2/INF, and the short(ish) project I am doing to gain credit and recruit talented individuals to Motherland.
It is called Marathon: The Siege.
The whole plot revolves around a different security guard doing his day-to-day chores up until the Pfhor decided to do a drive-by on the marathon. (not literally, mind you... Gangsta aliens is one idea I will just leave to you guys)
I suppose, technically one could say that it is somewhat inspired by Half-Life:Blue Shift.

Well, what i have created here is a BOB w/o weapons that is based on the originals from M1, but in the artistic style of M2/INF.

Meaning:
*They aren't SUPER low detail, only NORMALLY low detail.
*They aren't f***ing fluorescent green.
*they don't have monocles, funny looking hair or wedgies.
*they have strangely tan skin.

Lemme know whatcha think.

NOTE: I have to apply extra shading and make him look less stiff.
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by zero on Jun 19th '10, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 19th '10, 04:46

Bitmaps aren't web-friendly.
User avatar

Crater Creator

Post Jun 19th '10, 14:44

Crater Creator wrote:Bitmaps aren't web-friendly.


Yeah, I know, I did that so that the image would work better with shapefusion, Jpeg would mud the picture up, Png would have been a better idea, but I guess I didn't think about it, and so I, I chose Bmp.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 19th '10, 15:32

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Yeah, I know, I did that so that the image would work better with shapefusion, Jpeg would mud the picture up, Png would have been a better idea, but I guess I didn't think about it, and so I, I chose Bmp.


So do what you need for the game, and a different format for posting online. I did it for you:




You're welcome. Don't be so lazy next time.

Oh, and good work, it looks good [MUp] I only wish his arms looked more relaxed, but maybe there's a high ranking officer in front of him or something.
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jun 19th '10, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

ukimalefu

Post Jun 19th '10, 15:46

ukimalefu wrote:So do what you need for the game, and a different format for posting online. I did it for you:




You're welcome. Don't be so lazy next time.

Oh, and good work, it looks good [MUp] I only wish his arms looked more relaxed, but maybe there's a high ranking officer in front of him or something.


Tnx for that uki, I welcome anyone to use this sprite in their scenarios, but The Siege will be their first appearance most likely.

Also, for the few that wonder, the method I used to make his torso was a simple method Bungie used for PiD and M1 where you draw the sprites on paper then scan them into the computer and color them in Photoshop (or in my case, GIMP).
Last edited by zero on Jun 19th '10, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 19th '10, 16:19

Also, not to DP, here is the updated version, in PNG format, he is less stiff, and has more detail.

(how do you make transparency work on him?)
Attachments
bobbie.png
bobbie.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Last edited by zero on Jun 19th '10, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 19th '10, 17:13

I opened in Photoshop and deleted the blue background first.
User avatar

ukimalefu

Post Jun 19th '10, 18:30

ukimalefu wrote:I opened in Photoshop and deleted the blue background first.


oh, like, an alpha channel, gotcha.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 21st '10, 00:59

The sprite's looking good; nice improvement from the first version. As for the next step, I wonder if it might look better if you lengthened his arms....
User avatar

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jun 21st '10, 01:37

Ares Ex Machina wrote:The sprite's looking good; nice improvement from the first version. As for the next step, I wonder if it might look better if you lengthened his arms....


taking that into consideration..... Done.

Also added red trim to turncoat, and added an alpha channel, for web use.
you can debate on the red trim yourselves
Attachments
bobbie_w_red_trim1.png
bobbie_w_red_trim1.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 713 times
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 21st '10, 17:03

ukimalefu wrote:


Is it just me or does this look like cross between Rick James and Micheal Jackson in mid moon walk.
words
User avatar

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jun 21st '10, 20:06

ellio7t wrote:Is it just me or does this look like cross between Rick James and Micheal Jackson in mid moon walk.


HEE HEE!

He's too black to be MJ, at least not the REAL MJ.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 21st '10, 22:33

I like the red trim, it joins the two pieces of the uniform.
Last edited by Dis on Jun 21st '10, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Image
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jun 22nd '10, 00:18

Dis wrote:I like the red trim, it joins the two pieces of the uniform.


And indeed that is why I put it there, because it lacked unity.
Ok, so far, due to lack of protest, the red trim is staying ( [MGrin] woot woot [MGrin] )

I'll start editing the physics and shapes today.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 22nd '10, 02:41

Looks brighter all around now, which is a good thing.
User avatar

Crater Creator

Post Jun 22nd '10, 14:13

ellio7t wrote:Is it just me or does this look like cross between Rick James and Micheal Jackson in mid moon walk.


I am Born On Board BITCH! Ooooooh! ::Dance step-kick-points finger::
User avatar

ukimalefu

Post Jun 22nd '10, 15:40

ukimalefu wrote:I am Born On Board BITCH! Ooooooh! ::Dance step-kick-points finger::


best reply ever.

here is a turnsheet (in fancy animated gif form!)
Attachments
bobturn.gif
bobturn.gif (13.47 KiB) Viewed 714 times
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 24th '10, 22:44

I got excited for a moment when you were explaining the plot.

Every scenario seems to have the entire universe at stake nowadays.
We need more scenarios that depict small events.

Like X-mas.

Why not just make a scenario based on a colony that gets attacked by the Pfhor, and you are a security guard.
And in the scenario you... ...provide security, until help arrives to beat the Pfhor.


Nowadays though, there would be some world ending plot twist, the colony would be built over some indian burial ground, or a secret research facility for some 28 days later-esque virus, or its a containment facility where they keep the W'rkcacnter in tiny miniature wine bottles, and the Pfhor are trying to use these bottles to breed some kind of super Pfhor soldier that will end the war in their favor, but will unknowingly destroy the universe in some way in doing so.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jun 26th '10, 02:49

MoppyPuppy wrote:I got excited for a moment when you were explaining the plot.

Every scenario seems to have the entire universe at stake nowadays.
We need more scenarios that depict small events.

Like X-mas.

Why not just make a scenario based on a colony that gets attacked by the Pfhor, and you are a security guard.
And in the scenario you... ...provide security, until help arrives to beat the Pfhor.
Nowadays though, there would be some world ending plot twist, the colony would be built over some indian burial ground, or a secret research facility for some 28 days later-esque virus, or its a containment facility where they keep the W'rkcacnter in tiny miniature wine bottles, and the Pfhor are trying to use these bottles to breed some kind of super Pfhor soldier that will end the war in their favor, but will unknowingly destroy the universe in some way in doing so.


Moppy, it's good that somebody gives me a complement like that.
I agree, the whole universe should only be as stake sometimes, not over and over again.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jun 29th '10, 04:11

Then who elects to change the stakes of their scenario, just so the near destruction of the universe can be a rarer occurrence?
Image
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jun 29th '10, 16:57

Dis wrote:Then who elects to change the stakes of their scenario, just so the near destruction of the universe can be a rarer occurrence?

Well, my scenario already joined the bandwagon, so I say we make a "plot severity" thread
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!


Return to Artwork and Music



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users