Unlost Found

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Dec 3rd '10, 02:53

I just released my first map pack! It's called Unlost Found. It contains three large maps, Water Nearby, Pfhormal Writing, and Weight of the World (I didn't make any changes to it) and one small map, The Deeping Sky. Please give feedback! Thank you!

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/unlost-found

Edit: Fixed some textures. The new version is 1.1.

Thank you to everyone that has tested the maps with me and have given me advice!
Last edited by brilliant on Dec 3rd '10, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Dec 3rd '10, 18:46

The best of them, by far, was Water Nearby. The texturing was wholesome and satisfactory, and the flow was good. Weapons were- but not brilliantly- plentiful. However, it seemed a little uninspired. The cleverer lighting we saw in Weight of the World is not really present. It's a little drab. The bottom of the fountain hasn't been textured (is untextured); it looks a little odd. This could indicate that you maybe are not aware of the 'Pave' function (in 'Special' in Weland). It avoids the problem of smearing when texturing and gives a good insight to the architecture of a level before texturing even begins. If it looks good in 0-light primary water textures, you're on the right track. There was very little good variation in elevations.

The lack of texture variation is a little disconcerting. I only remember a couple of cases where I noticed a texture that wasn't part of the hegemonic set. The very simple architecture brings this out. Pfhormal Writing, compared to Water Nearby, was just... meh. It felt, in terms of gameplay, like a carbon copy of Water Nearby, except the architecture was a little different and there was a (frankly uninspired) application of the Pfhor set. Weight of the World was much better. There was some spots of clever lighting and some wholesome architecture, and the map altogether was satisfying.

The Deeping Sky was again... meh. It was very cramped; I'd suggest removing the four center-centric walls around the center of the map to open it up just a little. Small maps can be open- just look at Paradise Lost for inspiration. The texturing was quite limited and turned out boring, being limited to the sewage set almost exclusively. Use VML. Weapons seemed a little thin.

Very samey. Overall, I'd suggest continuing mapping on a Water Nearby-esque tangent, simply because that seems to have inspired the most success.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Dec 4th '10, 20:41

Dugit wrote:The bottom of the fountain hasn't been textured (is untextured); it looks a little odd. This could indicate that you maybe are not aware of the 'Pave' function (in 'Special' in Weland). It avoids the problem of smearing when texturing and gives a good insight to the architecture of a level before texturing even begins. If it looks good in 0-light primary water textures, you're on the right track. There was very little good variation in elevations.

Thank you for the feedback! I learned about the Pave feature about a month ago, after I had textured Water Nearby. I haven't used the transparent liquids in a long time and had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me and pointing that out! I just figured out how to install the feature in Aleph One, and I will be fixing those problems.

Dugit wrote:The lack of texture variation is a little disconcerting. I only remember a couple of cases where I noticed a texture that wasn't part of the hegemonic set. The very simple architecture brings this out. Pfhormal Writing, compared to Water Nearby, was just... meh. It felt, in terms of gameplay, like a carbon copy of Water Nearby, except the architecture was a little different and there was a (frankly uninspired) application of the Pfhor set. Weight of the World was much better. There was some spots of clever lighting and some wholesome architecture, and the map altogether was satisfying.

I am looking at my maps and I will be making some changes to textures and lighting.

brilliant

Post Apr 22nd '11, 06:27

Version 1.2 is out! I've made several texture changes and a few lighting changes to all the maps. I've fixed the unpaved textures under the liquids, fixed the teleporters in Weight of the World, added more passageways in Water Nearby, lowered the missile ammo in The Deeping Sky, and a lot of other changes to all of the maps. There are two new maps, Machinehead and Intense Winds. Intense Winds is the first map I've made with textures from the different sets, so let me know what you think, along with the rest of the pack! Get it at S7! Thank you!

Edit: Credit to Syndicate Mountain Compound Save Point 3 in Oni for the stairs idea that's on the north side of my map, Machinehead.
Last edited by brilliant on Apr 28th '11, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

brilliant

Post Jun 11th '11, 21:35

I've been working on a new map for a while, and I wanted to put it up for discussion. Any opinions of this map? Any suggestions for this map? I've received a few suggestions to reduce the amount of pillars in the center. What do you think of the amount of pillars in the center? Credit to The Pharos area in Final Fantasy XII for the idea of the center.

[attachment=4837:hi_map.zip]
Attachments
hi_map.zip
(27.89 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

brilliant

Post Jun 12th '11, 22:39

I agree with the suggestion for fewer pillars. I also think there are a couple more teleporters than necessary. I like the asymmetry, and I would push farther in that direction: the hallways are all pretty uniform and travel along them is circumferential. For instance, I like the way the rocket launcher room in the NE corner mixes up the regular orientation of the flow. You might spice things up with...
  • some paths that are narrower or wider
  • longer paths for more radial movement, towards and away from the center
  • more extreme height changes, so someone in, say, the SE corner has a height advantage over someone in the NW corner
  • more room-like shapes at the outer edges (think arena-like maps)

Crater Creator

Post Jun 13th '11, 01:17

#alephone wrote:
QUOTE(#alephone @ last night)
02:34 < brilliant7> hey for those of you who havent already seen, and care, i uploaded the map im currently working on to the pfhorums
02:37 < Jun_Watarase> cool map, bro
02:39 < brilliant7> thanks jun
02:40 < Wrkncacnter> it's such a cool map, holy shit
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jun 13th '11, 01:26

I didn't find the pillars to be problematic, although so far I've only played one game. There did seem to be an imbalance with the rocket launchers however (it seemed not everyone could get one). But like I said, I've only tested this map once.

I'm not a fan of symmetrical maps, so the more asymmetry you throw into it, the more I will like it.

As for the name, why not allude to what it was inspired from? Something having to do with Pharos is much more unique than "hi".
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jun 17th '11, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jun 17th '11, 05:12

hi is the greatest map EVER!!!
Grun7y

Post Jun 17th '11, 11:15

Look at mqps like Big Map and Versus Marx where the majority of the level is on the fringes but it all funnels the player toward the center.

Fuck Europeans and their non QWERTY keyboards.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 30th '11, 21:39

Ok, I've updated "Hi." I raised the height in the SW corner to 2WU, and I have also removed some pillars in the center. I originally wanted to limit the SPNKRS on the map, but I now believe it will be more fun with more SPNKRS, and considering what Ares said, I've added two more. Thanks to Hux for getting me to think of another way to get across the map, resulting in the addition of the water flow on the west side of the map. Ares, "Hi" is just a temporary name i gave the map, as with all of my maps, while I'm testing it. I will probably name it The Pharos. Also attached is my other map I have been working on this summer, Hot, which is a small map. I'm Still unsure about the weapons, though. I was considering having only two or three weapons to choose from, instead of four. Thank you all for your suggestions!

[attachment=4969:himap.zip]

[attachment=4971:hotmap.zip]
Attachments
hotmap.zip
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
himap.zip
(29.7 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

brilliant

Post Jul 31st '11, 06:39

brilliant wrote:Ok, I've updated "Hi." I raised the height in the SW corner to 2WU, and I have also removed some pillars in the center. I originally wanted to limit the SPNKRS on the map, but I now believe it will be more fun with more SPNKRS, and considering what Ares said, I've added two more. Thanks to Hux for getting me to think of another way to get across the map, resulting in the addition of the water flow on the west side of the map. Ares, "Hi" is just a temporary name i gave the map, as with all of my maps, while I'm testing it. I will probably name it The Pharos. Also attached is my other map I have been working on this summer, Hot, which is a small map. I'm Still unsure about the weapons, though. I was considering having only two or three weapons to choose from, instead of four. Thank you all for your suggestions!

[attachment=4969:himap.zip]

[attachment=4971:hotmap.zip]

i went through 'Hot' by myself, and from that experience, i came up with these things to say...

your architecture efforts in my opinion are pretty damn good, very detailed and a lot of depth without going to far.

i think the hill on this map is pointless, its a bit too small, in a pretty cramped area, i would suggest either losing the hill or making a huge section in the room as the hill somehow.

this is a more small and OCD complaint, but your lava fall is a little unrealistic, the horizontal lava flow is moving faster than the vertical movement of lava, when it is the other way around in real life.

lastly, this map is not the best of the best but i think it is a pretty fun-to-play map while also being a very dynamic, good looking one...
Last edited by unclenate on Jul 31st '11, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Jul 31st '11, 09:15

Whilst Hi is indeed a very good map, Hot is even better. There's a real future for you in netmaps and I'm struggling to find flaws that are other than texture jarring.

On the staircase denoted by the large red circle, and on the edges of the ledges to the central pool, there's an odd texture alignment with a lights panel texture. Just drag it up 0.25WU in VML and it'll look fine.
The yellow circle denotes a windowsill that I can easily get into. Perhaps a solid-transparent edge may ratify this?

This is the only problem I could find in Hot. I suppose it's a petty quibble, but it's still a little jarring. Meh.

Anyway, both wonderful maps and I hope to see more soon, and perhaps with a titch more detail, but that's just me. Four stars going on five, easily.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 31st '11, 13:10

Dugit wrote:Perhaps a solid-transparent edge may ratify this?

RECTIFY.

Anyway, Hi is alright but you should stay away from basic arena maps for a while. The lighting is also really flat; try for more contrast between light and shadow.

Hot looks fantastic. Same problem with lighting but it's not as bad. Other than that it looks really good.

RyokoTK
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Post Jul 31st '11, 15:14

RyokoTK wrote:RECTIFY.

Lesser men defer to definitions; Dugit detourns them.
patrick
末法

Post Jul 31st '11, 15:36

patrick wrote:Lesser men defer to definitions; Dugit detourns them.

You have failed me for the last time, Google:define.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 31st '11, 15:44

Dugit's just struggling a bit under the weight of his own eloquence.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how these play right now, however ammo seems abundant enough from running through in singleplayer and there are no slow platforms/dead ends/etc. that I could find. The aesthetics of your maps are always improving and it's great watching this happen. The architecture on Hi is great but a few of the texture choices seem a bit jarring. I'd recommend removing the red lava textures as they really stand out, and not in a good way.
Hot looks even better, I love the little details (square patterns on the wall, etc.) and the texturing is well done. My only quip is seeing the lava set light texture used like it is in Dugit's second screenshot always bothers me a bit, but I may be alone in this. The suggestions to strengthen differential shading are also supported.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 31st '11, 20:38

Dis wrote:My only quip is seeing the lava set light texture used like it is in Dugit's second screenshot always bothers me a bit, but I may be alone in this.

I can't stand it when any light texture doesn't perfectly align to the surface it's being used on. Same goes for those tan and brown block textures.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Jul 31st '11, 20:39

brilliant wrote:I will probably name it The Pharos.

Marathon fans are going to be dying for you to throw an f in there.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Aug 2nd '11, 03:59

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback everyone!

Dugit wrote:The yellow circle denotes a windowsill that I can easily get into. Perhaps a solid-transparent edge may ratify this?

I don't plan on making them solid-transparent because I don't see it as a major problem.

Windbreaker wrote:I can't stand it when any light texture doesn't perfectly align to the surface it's being used on. Same goes for those tan and brown block textures.

I don't like it either! I wish they aligned on any place in the map. What I think I will do though is make a polygon that is diamond-shaped and 1WU by 1WU so it should look nicer.

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Marathon fans are going to be dying for you to throw an f in there.

Haha, I think I will keep the spelling how it is, but that would be great!
Last edited by brilliant on Aug 2nd '11, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

brilliant

Post Aug 3rd '11, 01:33

brilliant wrote:Haha, I think I will keep the spelling how it is, but that would be great!

If you get thrown into exile, don't say I didn't warn you!

Ares Ex Machina

Post Dec 23rd '11, 00:05

Here is an early Christmas present for you! I have updated my pack and added two maps, The Pharos and A Warm Feeling, in version 1.3. Also, I have made minor texture and lighting changes in Water Nearby, Machinehead, and Intense Winds, as well as fixed a teleporter in Water Nearby.

brilliant

Post Dec 31st '12, 06:48

Hey everyone, I updated Unlost Found! Check it out here!

brilliant

Return to Mapping