Use Xbox 360 Controller on a Mac in Aleph One

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Jun 14th '11, 22:27

Hi everyone,

I've got a desire to play Marathon on my TV, but I want to do the entire Trilogy, but I can't stand to keyboard anymore. I'd like to use my Xbox 360 Controller.

However, I can't seem to map the Left and Right Triggers to any action in Aleph One.

I went digging into the Prefs file, and I know that this is the Primary Fire binding:

<sdl_key index="13" value="85"/>

My question is, what is the correct value for the Left and Right Triggers? I can't find a listing of what values each trigger produces to fill in. Anyone know?
Hippieman

Post Jun 15th '11, 01:30

Edit: oh, on a Mac.

If you can't configure a button by pressing it in the configure keyboard screen, there probably just isn't a key code for it. You might try some third party helper application like USB Overdrive.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 15th '11, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 18th '11, 18:25

I've also heard good things about USB Overdrive. Or, it looks like you could use this driver and ControllerMate to map the triggers to keys. (I haven't tried either of these myself.)
Aleph One:  Download 1.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Jul 22nd '11, 17:48

Hippieman wrote:However, I can't seem to map the Left and Right Triggers to any action in Aleph One.

this thread's a month old, but I'll post anyway in case it helps someone.

the xbox 360 controller is messed up, whoever at MS designed it had no idea what they were doing. instead of being pressure-sensitive buttons, the triggers are actually each half the range of a single axis joystick. ie: one trigger "moves the stick" from 0 to -whatever, and the other goes from 0 to +whatever. this means you can't pull both triggers at the same time, and basically no game on any OS understands how to use them except the 360 itself.

you're better off using an xbox1 controller with an adapter (they're normal usb with a custom plug). alternatively, you can use a ps3 controller (what I do for my games) or just buy some logitec one.
Last edited by quartz on Jul 22nd '11, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Jul 22nd '11, 17:50

Treellama wrote:Edit: oh, on a Mac.

unfortunately, it doesn't really make a difference what OS you use, that controller is just whack.

quartz

Post Jul 22nd '11, 23:33

quartz wrote:the triggers are actually each half the range of a single axis joystick. ie: one trigger "moves the stick" from 0 to -whatever, and the other goes from 0 to +whatever. this means you can't pull both triggers at the same time, and basically no game on any OS understands how to use them except the 360 itself.

That is not true. The driver linked to by Hopper for Mac OS X treats the triggers each as separate joystick axes so they can be used independently of each other. I can't speak for other drivers, though.
Except the inevitable

Chocolateer

Post Jul 22nd '11, 23:45

Chocolateer wrote:That is not true. The driver linked to by Hopper for Mac OS X treats the triggers each as separate joystick axes so they can be used independently of each other. I can't speak for other drivers, though.

oh, did he finally figure that out? shows how much I pay attention. I've been using his ps3 driver for ages.

quartz

Post Nov 25th '11, 05:24

this thread's a month old, but I'll post anyway in case it helps someone.

the xbox 360 controller is messed up, whoever at MS designed it had no idea what they were doing. instead of being pressure-sensitive buttons, the triggers are actually each half the range of a single axis joystick. ie: one trigger "moves the stick" from 0 to -whatever, and the other goes from 0 to +whatever. this means you can't pull both triggers at the same time, and basically no game on any OS understands how to use them except the 360 itself.

you're better off using an xbox1 controller with an adapter (they're normal usb with a custom plug). alternatively, you can use a ps3 controller (what I do for my games) or just buy some logitec one.

For Windows: Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Driver (available here) for Windows this only supports programs that use XInput. It is the OFFICIAL driver from Microsoft and provide 100% support for the controller functionality.
This driver is available for all version of Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP/2003 and relies on DirectInput.

For MacOSX: Then this driver while 3rd Party provides full support for all of the features.

For Linux: This thread has all the information you need (although tbh is more hassle than worth)
Also I would like to point out the Linux version above also is fully supported on the Playstation 3 or Wii running Linux.

The controller is a Microsoft Device and is designed with drivers that have been available since 2005, the drivers use XInput NOT DirectInput because DirectInput DOES NOT support all control devices; but instead ONLY supports Joysticks, Controllers, etc... XInput supports ALL input devices. While the old input systems remain in place to support older software, it is the responsibility of DEVELOPERS to make sure they support it on Windows.

All of the software links above were found within minutes via Bing. Search engines are very useful.
Leyvin

Post Dec 7th '11, 01:41

Leyvin wrote:All of the software links above were found within minutes via Bing. Search engines are very useful.

Unfortunately, they don't work for me. The root of the problem is that the triggers are treated like analogue sticks on the Mac. And Marathon cannot map to them.

Also your link for the Mac is broken.
Hippieman

Return to Aleph One Discussion