Marathon Infinity Source Code to be Released

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Jun 23rd '11, 19:36

Oh and in a timely throwback, a fan developer is creating a Marathon iPad port, which is totally sweet! In honor of his hard work and serious fan dedication, we're going to do something we should have done a long time ago (but didn't because our legal counsel "forgot"). We're going to make the final title in our Marathon franchise, Marathon Infinity, open source. Just like that. Bam!

Look for a link to grab the source code soon.

Sauce at the bottom of the page.

[MLaugh]
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core,

DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING

Shaun555

Post Jun 23rd '11, 19:48

Hahaha, oh Bungie.

Well, good news, anyway.

So, this is one of the reasons the Aleph One 1.0 release cycle is so long, I was waiting for this to try to get Infinity film playback into 1.0.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 23rd '11, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jun 24th '11, 01:41

In honor of his hard work and serious fan dedication, we're going to do something we should have done a long time ago

Hey this is awesome!!! But it's a shame Bugnie isn't honoring the Aleph One developers. They must have been slaving away much longer (especially you, TL). Not that I don't appreciate iMarathon, I just hope Bungie appreciates Aleph One.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jun 24th '11, 02:40

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Hey this is awesome!!! But it's a shame Bugnie isn't honoring the Aleph One developers. They must have been slaving away much longer (especially you, TL). Not that I don't appreciate iMarathon, I just hope Bungie appreciates Aleph One.

I completely agree! I haven't had Aleph One since it was first created, but I've been using it long enough to see some changes, like new features and bugs that have been fixed. They've done a great job at making the Aleph One engine excellent! Thank you Aleph One development team!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jun 24th '11, 02:44

In a way they are honoring us. The iPad port is based on Aleph One, after all--and we have to be the most interested party when it comes to the Infinity source.

But, yeah, a link to the project or even a mention of its name would have been courteous. Like I said: oh, Bungie.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jun 24th '11, 07:26

I would have almost preferred if it were the source to Forge and Anvil (We can always dream), but if the Infinity Source code release actually comes to fruition it is better overall. (Still waiting on those e-mail responses from Atari about the release of the Damage Incorporated source [MOh] )

I'm wondering if Bungie mentioned the iPad port rather than Alephone to see the reception in case Bungie decides to enter the fray with their own iOS game. Or it could just be because AlephOne has been out a while and they wanted to highlight the latest news for their anniversery.
Last edited by Zott on Jun 24th '11, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jun 24th '11, 12:41

Zott wrote:I would have almost preferred if it were the source to Forge and Anvil (We can always dream)

We know how to do everything those two can do, now. I don't really see how they'd be useful, aside from curiosity.

The Infinity source, however, will let us play back a ton of films, and also contains at least one fix that never made its way into Aleph One (sliding on descending platforms).
Last edited by treellama on Jun 24th '11, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jun 24th '11, 16:44

I've sent in my "thank you" note to Bungie -- if you're looking forward to playing back Infinity films, I encourage you to do the same. Tracking down the source and getting legal clearance takes work; let's let them know we appreciate it!

Here's hoping it doesn't take another twelve years to get the M1 source code...
Aleph One:  Download 1.0.2         Plugins:  Marathon Classic HUD  ·  System Se7en  ·  more

Hopper

Post Jun 24th '11, 16:47

Maybe they want the M1 engine to build their next game on :)
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt
Belgium

Post Jun 24th '11, 21:18

Zott wrote:I'm wondering if Bungie mentioned the iPad port rather than Alephone to see the reception in case Bungie decides to enter the fray with their own iOS game. Or it could just be because AlephOne has been out a while and they wanted to highlight the latest news for their anniversery.

Actually, it's because they know we don't host their maps.

Hopper wrote:I've sent in my "thank you" note to Bungie -- if you're looking forward to playing back Infinity films, I encourage you to do the same. Tracking down the source and getting legal clearance takes work; let's let them know we appreciate it!

I didn't realize it was that much work! What contact would you recommend using? The webmaster at Bungie.net? Bungie Facebook?

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jun 25th '11, 04:39

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I didn't realize it was that much work!

It's certainly more work than it would be to just hit Delete on Treellama's emails about it. And when lawyers are involved, particularly once you get to be as large and as high-profile as Bungie, nothing is ever simple. The legal concern is liability (getting sued for giving away something that wasn't yours to give), and the more you have, the more you have to lose.

What contact would you recommend using? The webmaster at Bungie.net? Bungie Facebook?

As long as someone at Bungie reads it, I'd guess any method is fine. I used the webmaster address; I hope somebody actually reads it. They sometimes respond to comments on their news posts, so you could also post on their forum if you have a Windows Live ID.
Aleph One:  Download 1.0.2         Plugins:  Marathon Classic HUD  ·  System Se7en  ·  more

Hopper

Post Jun 25th '11, 07:04

I believe MoppyPuppy has the most experience with contacting Bungie directly. Perhaps you should ask him.
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Jun 25th '11, 15:41

Oh man, I totally forgot about MoppyPuppy and his Nokia. That should be required reading for anyone looking to contact Bungie.

Hopper

Post Jun 25th '11, 16:50

MacWorld picked up this story from GamePro:
http://www.macworld.com/article/160736/201...athon_ipad.html

"Based on the original Marathon source code" there's some good journalistic fact checking there!
Last edited by treellama on Jun 25th '11, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jun 25th '11, 19:26

The article struck me as a bit cringe-worthy, but all in all good news.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jun 25th '11, 23:49

Hopper wrote:Oh man, I totally forgot about MoppyPuppy and his Nokia. That should be required reading for anyone looking to contact Bungie.

Thank you for that link. That was amazing.

Also, that means that MoppyPuppy's 21 this year. And he still posts like that.

Paul

Post Jun 28th '11, 17:58

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Actually, it's because they know we don't host their maps.

Embarrassingly, Duality, Wrath No More, Thunderdome and Melatonin still rank pretty high on the mnet stats. Though I guess the last time Duality actually took first for the month was back in February. (How the hell Sevil Alucard is so popular is entirely beyond me.)

RyokoTK
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Post Jun 28th '11, 18:23

RyokoTK wrote:(How the hell Sevil Alucard is so popular is entirely beyond me.)

Erfe.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 1st '11, 20:31

I guess I better start writing that Thank You Letter. They came through. Huzzah!

/* Prevent ridiculous maps.. */
#define MAX_LINES_PER_VERTEX 15

But I love my ridiculous... (Yeah, even though it was also in the Marathon 2 source)

Edit: Letter Sent! Ahoy Snail Mail!
Last edited by Zott on Jul 3rd '11, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jul 6th '11, 06:35

All I can say is, neat! [MUp]

Wonder what other hidden gems will result from this...

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 6th '11, 13:02

herecomethej2000 wrote:All I can say is, neat! [MUp]

Wonder what other hidden gems will result from this...

Film playback is now mostly working, after some very subtle changes. I'm going to add in the missing "Play ball!" and "You are it!" sounds.

Other than that, there isn't much. A ton of GameSprocket code, serial number stuff, a new cheat code. More pieces of Vulcan. Not really useful to our project, but fun to look through if you're curious.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jul 6th '11, 18:14

is the minf flim code at all better then the m2 or just different?

if it's better, then would it be better then the a1 code which is built off of m2?

(Really technical question I know [MTongue] )

I guess what I'm driving at is there anything worth incorporating into the a1 film format?
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Jul 6th '11, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

herecomethej2000
Ledyard, CT

Post Jul 6th '11, 18:38

The film formats for all three are identical

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Jul 8th '11, 09:13

Where is the source code from the last release in 1999?
NeverThePfhor

Next

Return to Marathon Discussion