tips for making maps based on a house or other building

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jul 5th '11, 23:38

after i started getting comfortable with map making, i decided to build a map based on the house i lived in. here, i have come up with some good tips for those who decide to make such a map to make it work well in game play.

1. flow: most likely, the real life place you are making will have bad flow in game play. so don't make it exactly like the actual place, spruce it up a bit, add elevators, passage ways, and/or teleporters to places with dead ends and such, even if it wasn't there in the real life place.

2. actual sizes: if the hall ways or other rooms in the house are narrow or small, i suggest enlarging them to go better with marathon game play, don't make them exactly like the real halls or rooms.

3. texturing: wile you are trying to figure out what textures will match the best to the real life area, keep in mind good marathon texturing in general, don't worry too much about textures that arent the same color as the walls in the real place if it means good texturing for a marathon map in general.

4. please note that some houses (or other buildings) are better for turning into good netmaps than others. unless your a really good mapper and can change it up good enough.

overview: thats pretty much all i have to say for making a good map that is based on a real life building. my main point in all this is to not make it exactly like the actual place, but simply give the idea if it, making it compatible with both the real life place AND a good marathon netmap. for the rest if it, simply follow the rules for making a good general marathon map you should be on your way.

i hope this is of some help and use....
Last edited by unclenate on Jul 5th '11, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Jul 5th '11, 23:56

Good advice. I tried to make a map of my house but I ran into a small problem. Like most buildings in the Northeast, my house has multiple floors stacked on top of each other. Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this limitation in the Marathon engine?

Also, several of my teleporters are linked to places in other buildings. Should I extend the map to those real life places too?
Image Image

interion

Post Jul 6th '11, 00:06

Tim wrote:Good advice. I tried to make a map of my house but I ran into a small problem. Like most buildings in the Northeast, my house has multiple floors stacked on top of each other. Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this limitation in the Marathon engine?

Also, several of my teleporters are linked to places in other buildings. Should I extend the map to those real life places too?

sadly, im not the one to ask about overlapping floors. so im just as confused in that department, although i did hear that more than 8 overlaps will mess it up.

extending to other buildings would most likely be a good idea, in order to have flow and keep the map together. whether its passage ways, or outside between the buildings should do just fine.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Jul 6th '11, 00:06

I'm having trouble picturing this. Could you please provide a link to some example maps you created while coming up with this advice? Thanks.
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 7th '11, 01:50

Any advice on how to replicate my apartment? It's made completely of bridges and balconies.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 7th '11, 01:55

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Any advice on how to replicate my apartment? It's made completely of bridges and balconies.

i cant picture that, was that a joke?

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Jul 7th '11, 16:47

Come to think of it, my landlord's last name is Escher. Hmmm.....

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 10th '11, 16:57

Is it unethical to make a map based on the apartment of the girl across the street if we've never formally met and I've never actually been (invited) inside?
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 10th '11, 23:02

Dis wrote:Is it unethical to make a map based on the girl across the street if we've never formally met and I've never actually been (invited) inside?

Why not maintain a blog about what she eats for breakfast instead?
patrick
末法

Post Jul 10th '11, 23:44

dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jul 10th '11, 23:58

patrick wrote:Why not maintain a blog about what she eats for breakfast instead?

The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 11th '11, 20:41

Tim wrote:Good advice. I tried to make a map of my house but I ran into a small problem. Like most buildings in the Northeast, my house has multiple floors stacked on top of each other. Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this limitation in the Marathon engine?

The one time I tried that with two floors I essentially used two offset rectangles with different heights. Each had a small offshoot for an elevator, those offshoots connected by another polygon (a U-shape connection between floors essentially). By encasing both inside a larger rectangle it was possible to create windows, as long as they didn't overlap vertically, by connecting sections of the inner and & outer rectangles to look out onto a "courtyard". Trying to include a third floor was mind-bending, trying to visualise and texture three overlapping rectangles with connections to the outer rectangle became difficult.

Cathunter
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Jul 12th '11, 05:57

Use the height manager in Forge, and/or layers in Weland, to keep overlapping levels manageable. Also, the Forge manual suggests building the basement first and working your way up.
Last edited by Crater Creator on Jul 12th '11, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Creator

Post Jul 12th '11, 11:46

Cathunter wrote:Trying to include a was mind-bending, trying to visualise and texture three overlapping rectangles with connections to the outer rectangle became difficult.

Cathunter

A third floor? Try Usama's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/156014
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it

Sam Lowry
Adelaide Australia

Post Jul 13th '11, 16:14

A1intheAntipodes wrote:A third floor?

Strange, it says "third floor" on my browser. Are there bits missing from my post? I suppose if it was mind-bending I might just be seeing things...

Try Usama's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/156014

Why is there a shipping container there?

Cathunter
Last edited by Cathunter on Jul 13th '11, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cathunter
Utopia Planitia

Post Jul 13th '11, 17:03

Dis wrote:Is it unethical to make a map based on the apartment of the girl across the street if we've never formally met and I've never actually been (invited) inside?

(first of all: you should have gone inside her house and be familiar with the inside details and design of her house before deciding to make a map out of this, so i'm assuming your joking)

as long as she's doesn't play online marathon Dis,

or, you could simply go over to her house and explain to her that your making a map, based on her house. im sure she'll understand...
Last edited by unclenate on Jul 13th '11, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Jul 13th '11, 20:03

Etan wrote:(first of all: you should have gone inside her house and be familiar with the inside details and design of her house before deciding to make a map out of this, so i'm assuming your joking)

Well, you know what they say about making assumptions.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 13th '11, 21:50

Etan wrote:or, you could simply go over to her house and explain to her that your making a map, based on her house. im sure she'll understand...

Talking to her directly might be too bold a move for a man like Dis. May I suggest a politely worded letter instead? You can leave it on her kitchen table the next time you're taking measurements. Also leave some roses, so she knows you're a considerate guy and not some creep.
Aleph One:  Download 1.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Aug 27th '12, 02:26

1 WU = approximately 2 meters. Get a calculator, and a measuring tape (preferably in meters.)

Doorways will be approximately 0.5 x 1 WU, and a ceiling set at 1.125 WU works with that.

Use MML to alter the normal field of view angle to around 100, as I find this makes things a little easier in terms of perceived scaling.

Then put your head in a blender, set for puree. Add ice and orange juice to whatever extent desired.

Add Cointreau and vodka to taste, pour in glass when consistency is fine enough.

Put a 1/4" diameter rubber tube in glass, and use the siphon effect to dispense beverage down remains of throat.

Not Invented Here

Post Aug 27th '12, 03:08

Not Invented Here wrote:1 WU = approximately 2 meters. Get a calculator, and a measuring tape (preferably in meters.)

Doorways will be approximately 0.5 x 1 WU, and a ceiling set at 1.125 WU works with that.

Use MML to alter the normal field of view angle to around 100, as I find this makes things a little easier in terms of perceived scaling.

Then put your head in a blender, set for puree. Add ice and orange juice to whatever extent desired.

Add Cointreau and vodka to taste, pour in glass when consistency is fine enough.

Put a 1/4" diameter rubber tube in glass, and use the siphon effect to dispense beverage down remains of throat.

Standard alcohols are never added "to taste," this is obviously a joke post.

RyokoTK
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Post Oct 9th '12, 11:46

I recreated some real locations in alephone, they were very cool, with multiple floors and everything (Had to use a lot of 5D space trickery though...).

Everyone here will discourage you because real locations don't make playable net maps or campaign maps, marathon needs open areas, not cramped up locations, the main character runs insanely fast and the action is fluid, corridors and such slow down the fluid movement.

So if you make this map, just remember that all the oldies won't support it (And will just laugh at you) as it won't feel like a good marathon net map.

In fact, I say only recreate a real location so you can learn the map editing tools.

xilef

Post Oct 11th '12, 00:02

RyokoTK wrote:Standard alcohols are never added "to taste," this is obviously a joke post.

You sir, are obviously not an alcoholic. My point stands.

Not Invented Here

Return to Mapping