.join the mobile infantry and save the galaxy.

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

ok ok yeah ive been swaping around on scenarios, but ive come to my senses, finaly. Im bringing it back

------------------------------For all you late-comers and new-arivals-------------------------------------------
Starship Marathon (SM) is the Starship Troopers Total Conversion for Aleph One. This massive game will follow the life of a Universal Security Corps marine, one of the many eliete units that aid the SICON Federation against the Bugs. This game occours after the second movie, long after the Brain Bug capture on planet"P". This game's plot also ties into that of the Marathon Trilogy but, thats for you to find out how!

This Total Conversion will be complete 49 singleplayer levels put out in chapters. Each chapter will have seven levels, making it seven chapters long, don't we all love seven? There will also be 7 net levels to start off with in the first chapter. This TC will feature fimiliar foes from Starship Troopers, such as the Warrior, Taker Beetle and Blister Bugs, but don't get comfortable just yet! The bugs have new breeds and allies including the Ant, and the lethal P'fhor Variant. A nice addition to that carnage that will persue is the new player skins (in 8 bold colors) that add a new look to multiplayer skirmishes!

Game Status:
Enemies:
Tanker Bug / Mantis--(replaces the Juggernaught) [Bosses] {No pussy Brain-Bug in this scenario}
Chariot Bug--(replaces the Tick)
Ant--(replaces the Hunter)
USC Marine--(replaces the Marine)
Blister Bug--(replaces the P'fhor Trooper)
Warrior Bug--(replaces the P'fhor Fighter)
HT War Machine--(replaces the S'pht K'r) {formerly the STK War Machine}
Royal Guard--(replaces the Flicta)
Mobile Infantry--(replaces the BOB)
Roughneck Trooper--(replaces the VacBOB)
Variant Legionare--(replaces the P'fhor Enforcer)
Hopper Bug-- (replaces the Drone)
Arax Spider-- (replaces the S'pht)
Firefly--(replaces the Cyborg)

Weapons:
Shock Staff--(replaces the fist)
.11 Grizzly Combat Pistol--(replaces the pistol)
CG Type-K Shotgun--(replaces the fusion pistol)
Smart Grenade--(replaces the shotgun)
Constrictor Rifle--(replaces the alien gun)
Morita-G--(replaces the AR)
Fumigator 7Kpsi--(replaces TOZT)
Javiline--(replaces the SPNKR)
Variant Construct Machine Rifle [VCMR]--(replaces the SMG)
Federation Flag--(replaces the ball)

Maps:
Chapter1 (Quarintine): SICON Labs, Sinking Feeling, Lock Down, Xenophobia, Orkin Man, Lay Low, Aim High.
Chapter2 (Front Lines): Revele, Shot: Baker, They May Be Slow, Shot: Item, Blackout, Bunkers, Shot: X-Ray.
Chapter3 (Bugbites): The Ants Go Marching 1x1, Bug Hole, The Ants... 2x2, Fly In My Soup, Ant Hill, Castle: Bravo, Fly Swater.
Chapter4 (Spiders Web): Arachnaphobia, Venom, Need More Band-Aids, Castle: Fox Trot, Creepy Crawlies, Bugged Out, Spider Hole.
Chapter5 (Corporate Sponser): Back To Civilization, HT Labs, Ammo Dump, Is This Gun Loaded, Shot: Titan, Does This Gun Go Boom, Saftey Is Off.
Chapter6 (Unwelcomed Guests): ET Go Home, Variants Kill, They'r Everywhere, Shot: Kosen, Ant Trap, Crater Land, Variant Ship.
Chapter7 (HIVE): Into Hell, The Ants... 3x3, Castle: Delta, What Ever Happened To Bravo, The Marathon, Legends Never Die, Taps.

Starting tomorow I will be cranking out monsters in Photoshop and some guns in my sktetchbook to be put up on this topic.

THINGS I NEED HELP WITH:A HUD design, someone who can make weapons in a 3D program from sketches that I will provide, and finally MAPPERS!!!!1
Last edited by Dieselfame3 on Nov 10th '06, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

cool..and i thought I already smelled SM's corpse over there at the orphanage [MUp]

CITIZENSHIP NOW GUARANTEED TO ALL ABLE APPLICANTS
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I promised you I'd help if you made me textures. I'll make you some maps some time.

If you've forgotten, EMR stole those trooper bugs things... those thingy things that look like those things. The thing you wanted me to make.
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

This is what i got so far in class today, we had long periods of time to waste so i decided to take a chunk of time to work on the warrior bug. Here is a simple gif of the animation, its not fully refined yet so it will look better in the game.
Alice
Born on Board

OMG you guys should see all the work he has for this tc on his computer!
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"
Marathon Iregulars Member
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

OMG you guys should see all the work he has for this tc on his computer!
I bet I've got more. I've got like a gig of carcuses of maps and shapes file copies.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote: I bet I've got more. I've got like a gig of carcuses of maps and shapes file copies.
WTF is with you and having to one-up people?
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey Diesel,

dunno if you're aware of it, but the monster looks quite unrealistic ( yes I know monsters aren't real ) because the upper body of it isn't moving at all. Bungie had a pretty simple trick in order to get rid of that problem..they just moved the respective bitmaps in the sequence a pixel up/ a pixel to the side to eachother, so the frames wouldn't exactly be on top of each other.

Might very well be that you already know that, after all you said something about it not being totally refined
[MLaugh]

btw, there's a Starship Troopers TC out there for Duke Nuke'em, I remember that it was quite successfull in recreating the movie's atmosphere. Am having this link to an interview with the project guy +2 pix at hand.
Here's the TC's home page ( only the screenshots below 'brand new' are working - media section ).
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Oct 10th '06, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
shongshong
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote: WTF is with you and having to one-up people?
rofl! True that dawg! (rather uncomfortable)
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

ok ive finaly got my scanner to work ok for once. i scanned some concepts for 2 of the weapons in the game. the first page is the concepts for the Smart Grenade--(replaces the shotgun):

This page has the concepts for the CG Type-K Shotgun--(replaces the fusion pistol):

im going to get back to work on the warrior bug and work out its "bugs" so it looks better.

if someone with good 3d aplication experance wants to help make weapons feel free to drop me a PM or something and i can get you more detailed sketches.

Work garuentees a spot on the credits page and extra goodies! Join the Mobile Infantry!

also for figure 1 of the shotgun, the "pipes" version; a secondary fireing sequence will be added, allowing the gun to fire all six shots at once. (a very pwnzr weapon isn't it)

Go here to vote on weapon concepts!!!
assassingao
Vidmaster

Oy, the "Pipes" is very cool. But the "Torque", as seen in a serious sam mod, it's like "Chain-shotgun" it's as powerful as a shotgun, and as fast as 2 firing pistols. Can't wait to see one of those guns in action!
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

ok these next two pages are for the Variant Construct Machine Rifle [VCMR]--(replaces the SMG) each concept has its own page. Due to poll dificultys I had to make a seperate poll for these guns. Go here to vote on the VCMR design. Thanks.
Fig.1

Fig.2

fig.2 is very similar to the look and feel of the MG56 "smartgun" used in the film Aliens (this is the design i based fig.2 off of).
MG56 "smartgun":

PLEASE VOTE ON THE NEW GUNS!!!
Last edited by Dieselfame3 on Oct 13th '06, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Homocidal Ham
Cyborg

HAVE YOU EVEN EVER FIRED A SHOT GUN?!?! YOU COULD DISLOCATE YOUR ARM WITH SIX BARRELS!
Last edited by Homocidal Ham on Oct 14th '06, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

HAVE YOU EVER WORN HEVA TECH MK9 BATTLE ARMOR? YOU CAN FIRE AN 88mm CANNON AND FEEL NO RECOIL!
shongshong
Vidmaster

no no no, the real responce here is...

ITS THE FUTURE!
weapon mechanics and its development aughta been revamped
Marathon Squadron
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

I posted this in my Sketchbook Scenario forum, but it really should be in this one now because it is directally related to the topic. I made this peice of artwork in school on my own spare time (roughly a hour). All of it is done in Photoshop.
This is the UEM Trooper that you will look like in the game (hopefully)

Samus

it might take a while to draw all views all like that...
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

lol this is more like promotional work. it would take decadeds to draw all the views in photoshop.
Samus

maybe you could use a 3d model to make it look nice and 3D then just take screens of 8 views? faster and could be done
Mordekai

3D doesn't work with Marathon very well.
Samus

Mordekai wrote: 3D doesn't work with Marathon very well.
I didnt say using actual 3D objects, make it in a 3D design app then take screens of 8 views to make the sprites , that way he only needs to make one character if you use one of the apps that let you bend joints and stuff (for running and moving)
shongshong
Vidmaster

Samus wrote: I didnt say using actual 3D objects, make it in a 3D design app then take screens of 8 views to make the sprites , that way he only needs to make one character if you use one of the apps that let you bend joints and stuff (for running and moving)
I use this method for my in progress scenario. It works! and boy, it shure beats the photoshop method greatly. by 3d modeling characters first, you can realy bang out sprites on a deadline!

the only tough part for most is learning the 3d application, and than riging it for sprites
Marathon Squadron
Samus

shongshong wrote: I use this method for my in progress scenario. It works! and boy, it shure beats the photoshop method greatly. by 3d modeling characters first, you can realy bang out sprites on a deadline!

the only tough part for most is learning the 3d application, and than riging it for sprites
Lol, i suppose you could take a full screen shot and crop it to the bit you want. A few PS adjustments (removing any backround stuff left behind, like between arms and legs) and it would look fine...
shongshong
Vidmaster

heck! even easier than that!
by applying render settings to that of marathons sprites, you dont even have to toutch photoshop! (except saving file format to .PICT)

by setting your rendering background color to that alpha blue, and rendering the sprites at a "small" size with no Anti-Aliasing, it makes sprite development a quick and clean bang out job... only verry repetitiouse.
Marathon Squadron
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

wow sounds easy ecxept i have no 3d aplication experiance, looks like ill be doing things the hardway :(