Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:Not sure what happened there. What I posted was sarcasm.
Great use of sarcasm.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Why thank you.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

@Patrick, have you ever read Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" quadrilogy? Somewhere towards the end of the series there's a brief glimpse of a nation called the Ascians. Your post, with the biblical quotations used in place of everyday speech, reminds me of the way the Ascians talk; the Ascians have an enormous religious text which they memorize as children and they only speak by quoting passages from that religious text.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Zott
Vidmaster

skraeling wrote:@Patrick, have you ever read Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" quadrilogy? Somewhere towards the end of the series there's a brief glimpse of a nation called the Ascians. Your post, with the biblical quotations used in place of everyday speech, reminds me of the way the Ascians talk; the Ascians have an enormous religious text which they memorize as children and they only speak by quoting passages from that religious text.
Hmmm, I'm sure that approach to speech has been around for a long time. Here are some more contemporary examples.
http://youtu.be/AHHZHyBUAhQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Blackice
Born on Board

This is so cool. I can't wait to see it in action. But no one has posted in two months. Is this project still alive?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well to be honest there has been an unfortunate data loss a while ago that nuked several months of hard work from my harddisk - I still have an old backup but for now the project is on hold until i have restored my other stuff. Apparently, fate doesn't like fools who don't make regular backups...
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Well to be honest there has been an unfortunate data loss a while ago that nuked several months of hard work from my harddisk - I still have an old backup but for now the project is on hold until i have restored my other stuff. Apparently, fate doesn't like fools who don't make regular backups...
Been there brother. Been there.

Blackice
Born on Board

thats a shame. I hope it all gets sorted out.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm thinking about releasing the stuff I have been able to restore so far here for you guys to play with as I'm uncertain if or when I'm going to resume work on this project.

What was lost were maps mostly and the grunt sprites/3d models i had added in recently so it's not very much but it might still provide some fun gameplay wise.

So would you guys rather like to see a release of the WIP stuff or would you prefer to wait until a polished demo is finished? (Assuming that I'm ever going to invest any more effort into this ofc.)
Blackice
Born on Board

Well, It depends what shape it is in now. If you are not proud of your work so far and feels that it needs polishing, then you don't need to release it just yet. If you feel the public will enjoy what you have right now, then go ahead and release the pre-demo stuff.
Zott
Vidmaster

I'd say that once you release any files, you'll probably lose more interest to continue. My rational being that once files are released you may hope that someone else will take up the mantle to work on it and your commitment is done.

Having the files released into the wild does benefit the community more, as your work could inspire and, with your permission, be appropriated for other purposes.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

well the idea is that a premature release will probably get more people interested in contributing to the project - for creating custom maps and other content for the scenario etc...
Blackice
Born on Board

That would be nice to see more people interested in this project.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I would like to see a release of some sorts. Either one would do.
Blackice
Born on Board

Yeah, at this point, I don't care. I just want to see this in action.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm not really satisfied fyi - especially the few included maps are unfinished and barely playable and I currently don't have the time to fix them let alone make new ones.

If anyone wants to assist with creating Halathon netmaps - be my guest.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok here're the files I've been able to restore so far: http://www.mediafire.com/?e17lz5s8gi8q6e4

Please no bug reports - I know that it's buggy as hell - suggestions are welcome ofc.

What this thing needs desperately are some nice netmaps and some people who wanna play them. ;)

The floating hud and 3d items are optional - you can disable them in the plugins menu.
Blackice
Born on Board

I'm sorry to bother you, but I do not know how to run it unless it is in zip. form. Could you help me?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Uh, what do I do with this? It isn't in any form I recognize (the download in the post above Blackice).
Blackice
Born on Board

I'm sorry, again, I am completely inexperienced when it comes to downloads. Could you please explain to me what I have probely been doing wrong?
Zott
Vidmaster

The files are packed within a 7-Zip container, which is similar to a Zip file, but has better compression. You'll need a program that can open .7z files, such as the 7-Zip program that thedoctor45 has linked to, or my recommendation, winRAR. (http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0).

Install the programs and then open the file to unpack it.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

7-Zip slows down my system much less than winRAR when unzipping, unzips more file types, has better compression, and has fewer (none actually) errors when unzipping to an external drive (for me, anyway). I highly recommend everyone out there at least try 7-Zip.
Blackice
Born on Board

Is there a free version of this nifty software for Mac?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20526/7zx this should work - also GIYF.