Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Blackice
Born on Board

Thanks. I'm playing the demo now.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:Ok here're the files I've been able to restore so far: http://www.mediafire.com/?e17lz5s8gi8q6e4
I just tested out the beginning of a couple maps, and already I notice there are some impressive things going on here. Nice work! I had no idea differentiating walk cycles from run cycles was possible, and the added frames make the motion look great. Also, it's hard to believe the shape of the object collision detection for the field generator is cylindrical, because it feels so flat in game, which is good! If I'm not mistaken, you also changed the physics from the previous version to more closely mimic Marathon in terms of player movement. Also good! It's also pretty impressive how you were able to emulate the shield recharging effect.

The one aspect I did notice that I suspect isn't unfinished that could use improvement is that there is quite a bit of text for at least one terminal I found. I would try either streamlining it, or breaking it into more than one terminal.

Really great work guys. I hope you continue with this. It's really cool to see the things the engine is now capable of doing. [MUp]
Cephalostrum
Born on Board

RE: 7zip, The Unarchiver is also a go to tool for handling pretty much any archive format.
Blackice
Born on Board

This is amazing! I hope everyone gets to play this. It just creates that feeling, like I can't tell if I'm playing halo or marathon.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I haven't. I don't understand what I was suppose to do, and no one answered me...
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Destiny wrote:I haven't. I don't understand what I was suppose to do, and no one answered me...
Alan, is that you?
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Very impressive. The textures and weapons look fantastic and it really feels like a Halo game even with the Pfhor enemies. I think the 'hologram' switches turned out really well and the functional needler blew me away. Placing the enforcer-hunters in narrow hallways is a bit much, I think; it's almost a certain death unless you kill them before they get a shot off.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nice. I'm gonna give this a look tomorrow.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well, I played through what I could of the first level. Amazing work you've done with it, very pleased my foundations are still in there.

However I couldn't get past the area with the hunter- and accessing the terminal doesn't open the door to the elevator anymore.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

read the terminals, you gotta smash the nearby circuits to open the door - also use the level select screen to jump to any level (ctrl-shift-click on new game option in the menu)
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

Unfortunately, I can't get the demo to run. Downloaded it, used 7zX to unarchive it, and... when I tried to click on the app, it didn't run.

(Mac OS X 10.5.8 PowerPC version)
fiddler_on_a_roof
Born on Board

Have you tried to launch a stand-alone version of Aleph One for OS X, and launch Halathon from there?
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

I haven't tried that. Thank-you for the suggestion.

Update: Tried using Aleph-One with the "Datafiles" that I removed from the app. Still didn't work, so I threw some of the folders into the "Datafiles" folder to see if it'd help any. Over time, I was able to get it to work, and it looks quite impressive.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey Doc, how's this coming along? Any updates?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

as i said i lost about 3 months worth of work - including tedious mapping and 3D model fixing + rendering and I'm not really willing to go though it again all by myself. At least not in the foreseeable future.
If there's enough interest left in this project and people want work to continue then they should offer some assistance. That's why I decided to release the files prematurely.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

thedoctor45 wrote:as i said i lost about 3 months worth of work - including tedious mapping and 3D model fixing + rendering and I'm not really willing to go though it again all by myself. At least not in the foreseeable future.
If there's enough interest left in this project and people want work to continue then they should offer some assistance. That's why I decided to release the files prematurely.
I'd help you out, but Weland doesn't work for me. It'd be sad to see this die.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I wouldn't say that it's dead - just on hold indefinitely - I'm still interested in developing this to a polished state since it does have a lot of potential and I still have many ideas floating around in my head that i'd like to see put into action someday - it's just not a priority atm since I have other issues to work out as well.

If anybody wants to create content for the game I'd say multiplayer maps would be best the way to go.
Blackice
Born on Board

I wish I could help, but i don't have any of the tools.
craZboy557
Cyborg

So do you think you'll ever come back to it, or is someone else going to have to pick up the torch?
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

anybody can pick up the torch if they want to that's what the files are there for but I might still get back to it someday i just can't give any specific date yet.
craZboy557
Cyborg

If I had any idea how to code I'd gladly do it. Unfortunately, I don't.

Sooo, do you have any tips for reducing lag in the demo? I turned the-.... thingies-..... that you can turn down to 1/4 and 8 bit-... down to 1/4 and 8 bit, but whenever I look across the chasm near where you start, I still drop to like 5 freaking frames per second.

Edit: It was the escape pod. Turned off 3D models, escape pod disapears, lag goes away.

Edit: The Fuel rod guys will have to be nerfed. It takes two hits to kill you, and they fire them too fast.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

craZboy557 wrote:whenever I look across the chasm near where you start, I still drop to like 5 freaking frames per second.

Edit: It was the escape pod. Turned off 3D models, escape pod disapears, lag goes away.
If you have OpenGL (Classic) selected, switch to OpenGL (Shader) and turn 3D Models back on. You might be able to have your cake and eat it too.
craZboy557
Cyborg

Finally got around to trying that, and it worked! Thanks.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:

Blackice
Born on Board

I have a couple of Ideas and would like to make some netmaps or something. I just need the texture pack for the game. I just got weland so bear with me.
craZboy557
Cyborg

Here's a demo Doctor posted: http://www.mediafire.com/?e17lz5s8gi8q6e4.
And if you mean that you don't have access to a download of forge, you can find one here: http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/
Though they don't appear to work for macs..... figures. But anyway if you use a Mac you might be out of luck.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week: