Marathon: Phoenix 1.1 development log

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
gregorybloom
Spazeroid

Good to see new stuff like this is slowly coming to fruition. Good luck on bringing this remake to completion. (I'd offer to help, but I'm discovering that I'm a shoddy mapmaker...)
Odie
Born on Board

For what my opinion is worth (not much:) I REALLY like the top screen shot. The middle one is fairly good, and the bottom one looks mediocre. In the middle shot, I would prefer to see the water lighter because water has always seemed to me as a "safty zone". On the bottom, it seems far too dark for such a large area and so much weapons fire. Still, great work!
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Johannes Gunnar wrote:although there's something about the top screenshot that bugs me. Something that makes it a bit dull/un-interesting for some reasons.
It is a mix of the hodge podge of structure elements and the vast, uninterrupted, repetitious green floor.

But don't worry, things look different (better) when you're down on the ground.
dude, seriously. dude.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The screenshot (and indeed the view in-game) is more to showcase the monster battle than the architecture. As thermo said, there are better parts in the map where you can see some of the architecture. None of them are really photogenic though, if that makes any sense -- to me, the map has some really cool atmospheric elements. Much like the second image with the water -- that room is much cooler when you're actually there, I just couldn't capture it in one screenshot.
L'howon
Vidmaster

The ad campaign makes this scenario so worth the wait.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Delays, delays.

I was forced to reformat my computer. I did not back up the TGIBX stuff because I am pretty sure everything I need is still available on the server I've been uploading it to.

I think. I didn't put much thought into it though and it's entirely possible that a large amount of work has been lost, but I don't think so.
irons
Vidmaster

Bungie wrote:I was forced to reformat my computer. I did not back up the Forge source because I am pretty sure everything I need is still available on the server I've been uploading it to.

I think. I didn't put much thought into it though and it's entirely possible that a large amount of work has been lost, but I don't think so.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

*pats his external drives and external (but local) server on the back holding backups* gooooood boys!
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lol @ irons.
Embrace imagination.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

I gotta say, I'm looking forward to playing this one.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

okay, here's the news

last December I had to reformat my computer and I didn't want to bother transferring over all the TGIBX stuff at the time

in January I said I was leaving and abandoning the project

since we all know how meaningful those sorts of declarations are, in May I decided to come back, if nothing else than to finish this scenario

in the last month I've made 3 maps and I believe goran is finishing up a fourth

further updates on the progress are forthcoming, but this isn't quite totally dead, sorry
$lave

RyokoTK wrote:but this isn't quite totally dead, sorry
How disappointing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing this project finished.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

This scenario is on my TODO list.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

effigy wrote:This scenario is on my TODO list.
what a coincidence, mine too
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, sir, a coincidence indeed.

First things, well, first, though. Eternal X has been beckoning for my attention. 9 months couldn't wouldn't satisfy it, perhaps another 4?
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

this scenario is on my tu dieu list
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Here's some pics from the last 3 levels I made. They don't show the architecture off very well, unfortunately, and Neo New Mordor has some spectacular views, but I wanted to get shots of both action and scenery. Oh well.

These are from "Vampire Killer," the replacement for "Knee Deep in the Slime." It's a more linear, fast-paced level with some pretty intense battles in a few set pieces. Halfway through the level you flood most of it with sewage and have to use the sewage to compensate for your lack of flying skill (compared to the Renegades).

These are from "The Bistromath," the replacement for "Murder on the Rue Acheron," where you're taking over the Pfhor cruiser. This level is based primarily on a handful of huge battles between Bobs and Pfhor, but also has a few very gloomy bits of exploration. It's a pretty quick level if you know what you're doing, but the smaller rooms are very dark and you can get turned around if you aren't careful.

These are from "Neo New Mordor," the replacement for "One Cannot Simply Walk Into Mordor." This is actually a pretty faithful remake to the original, but with much more emphasis on easy backtracking through the level. It's still a sprawling level across castle and rocky ledges with a few very difficult battles, but the exploration aspect is still key. It's just done much, much more coherently.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

sweet.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is the 10th level, "The Face of Modern Gaming." It replaces the level Candlelight Fantasia, but is entirely different from the source material. In this level, you're looking to break into the central Renegade data mainframes. This is a sprawling, very non-linear level with several ways to accomplish the objective, and it's also very hard. (Being in the middle of the game, I consider it a sort of mini-climax, as the next couple levels are much easier.)

The level was originally conceived to be a stylistic homage to some of the Pfhor Prime levels in Rubicon, but quickly evolved beyond that. The bland colors that I started using inspired the name.

Lawstiker
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:This is the 10th level, "The Face of Modern Gaming."
I really like how this level look for some reason, how long did it take you to make this one?
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

this is lookin nice so far.
looking forward to the release :)
What are BOBs for if not to !REDRUM
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

The fact that the red Spht'Kr will no longer be firing red hot homing bolts of near insta-death already makes TGI better and changes the way it can be played dramatically.

Maybe I'll be able to walk through a door and fight the enemy that teleports in.
Instead of, "If I see red, I'm running back through that door." And do the whole, hold the door closed and fire technique.
Meta

So you are saying that because you specifically do not have the skill to defeat the Red Renegade Defenders in open combat it affects the quality of the scenario as a whole, not just that of your personal experience of the scenario. This seems to be a rather childish and self centered point of view, does it not?

On a more topical note, TGI Beyond X is looking great so far, Ryoko. I am, unfortunately, a mere mortal and will most likely be unable to make it past the third level but the assortment of screen shots you have presented so far does not fail to please in the eye candy category.
Last edited by Meta on Jul 15th '09, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is the first secret level, "Running from Evil." Some of you may recognize the origins of this one.