Marathon: Phoenix 1.1 development log

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

AAAHHHGGG ITS TORMENTING ME! WHERE IS THAT LEVEL FROM!?!? I Cant quite place my finger on it and its DRIVING ME INSANE!
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Just the other day I was playing the M1A1 remake of Entryway by Raul Bonilla, have to say your version has much better texture placement from what I can see.

I have one question though, in the third picture why did you chose to reveal the location of the secret area in the back with the red triangle texture?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I didn't know there was an M1A1 remake of Entryway.

Anyway, it's revealed because it was such a worthless secret (in the original it just has a stimpack). It's still pretty meaningless so I'm willing to concede it as a freebie.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:I didn't know there was an M1A1 remake of Entryway.
I originally found it over at the Orbital Arm's M1A1 maps section, but I took a look at Fileball and they have it over there as well, just type in Entryway in the search bar. I think the original entryway for the first marathon can be found at the Archives.
RyokoTK wrote:Anyway, it's revealed because it was such a worthless secret (in the original it just has a stimpack). It's still pretty meaningless so I'm willing to concede it as a freebie.
I agree with you on that. Some time ago I remember that someone made a level for doom II based on entryway, but it was designed to be a challenge map that had a few new area's added on and alot of monsters added for extra carnage and in it if you opened the door to that secret area instead of a stimpack there was a HellKnight hiding in there. Boy that was one tough level to play on Nightmare. Wish I remebered what tha level was, but trying to keep track of all the Doom Wads out there can be quite difficult.

Anyway good job so far on this, that remix of Entryway is looking real good.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Meta wrote:So you are saying that because you specifically do not have the skill to defeat the Red Renegade Defenders in open combat it affects the quality of the scenario as a whole, not just that of your personal experience of the scenario. This seems to be a rather childish and self centered point of view, does it not?
Oh gee, I guess not, I'm totally incapable of dodging the red homing bolts that follow me around walls and that have been removed due to its issue in difficulty. Because your ALL that is MAN when it comes to playing Marathon: TGI. *claps*

Show me a recording of your open combat technique, I'd really like to see it. Especially on TC.
Meta

MoppyPuppy wrote:Oh gee, I guess not, I'm totally incapable of dodging the red homing bolts that follow me around walls and that have been removed due to its issue in difficulty. Because your ALL that is MAN when it comes to playing Marathon: TGI. *claps*

Show me a recording of your open combat technique, I'd really like to see it. Especially on TC.
Notice that after negatively commenting on your view of the matter I go on to say that no mere mortal can survive the monsters in TGI, you take all of this far too seriously my friend.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:Oh gee, I guess not, I'm totally incapable of dodging the red homing bolts that follow me around walls and that have been removed due to its issue in difficulty. Because your ALL that is MAN when it comes to playing Marathon: TGI. *claps*

Moppy, he wasn't saying you are a bad player because you cant dodge, he was saying that what you said implyed that the fact that you cant dodge the shots makes the entire scenario bad. Before you post a sarcasm-drenched post, read better. Really, its for your own good.
D?rovací tvá?í.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The old red Defenders were too hard and made the game less fun. Deal with it.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

More big changes; the biggest change is of a massive plot restructuring leaving the game's hopeful goal at 25 levels in 5 chapters. Read the first post, which I've rewritten totally, for the current take on this (more amorphous than ever) scenario.

Goran has also done up a couple levels, so I am no longer the only TGI mapmaker. This is good news; Goran is an excellent mapper, and I'm glad for his help. So, I have three new levels in total.

Number one on the list is the level "Tantive IV." As of the current plot revision, the ship the player is on (the Istanbul) is present at the planet Artemis to investigate the ruins of the ship UESC Atreides. The beginning of the 4th chapter is when the player actually finds it, and now they're out to destroy it and prevent either the Pfhor or Renegades to dredge any more information from it.

Number two is a secret level, "Energy Tune." This one was made by Goran.

Number three is the level "Return to Earth from Heaven." The player is busy struggling through the catacombs underneath the Renegade citadel, looking to find his way to the core structure and destroy the whole thing. At this revision, this is the second-to-last level (the epilogue levels "Valley of the Damned" and "The Power of One" have been written out of the plot).

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

I really like that last screenshot.
D?rovací tvá?í.
VirtualX1
Cyborg

I have to say that these scenario pictures really make my jaw drop in awe, and not just by thinking of how difficult these levels will be either.

...and i forgot the name of that doom map your secret level was based on, but i do believe it had a cyberdemon and spider mastermind in it... unless it was the first level of doom2
Last edited by VirtualX1 on Jul 31st '09, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It is the first level of Doom 2, Entryway, but the super-secret level in The Plutonia Experiment is a twisted modification of that level as well (with Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind), maybe you're thinking of that level?
VirtualX1
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:It is the first level of Doom 2, Entryway, but the super-secret level in The Plutonia Experiment is a twisted modification of that level as well (with Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind), maybe you're thinking of that level?
Yeah I guess I am, either way I am excited to see the eventual release of TGI:X
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

[quote=""VirtualX1""]I am excited to see the eventual release of TGI:X[/quote]
So am I. I played the first one together with my brother online. I hope the sequel is going to keep the possibility to co-op?
Either way, as soon as TGI:X is released, I'm going to install AlephOne again.

Great work, Ryoko! [MUp]
Meta

Why wouldn't it? More people, more carnage.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Co-op is going to be much better in TGIBX.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Aaaaaah, some VERY good news! C-:
Ooooooh, I can't wait! MARATHON HURRAY! [spnkr]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is level 2-1, "The Count of Tuscany." It's a totally new level in the plot, but it's also an excuse to have more big Pfhor-vs-Renegade battles, as pictured.

irons
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:
This looks like it could also be the basis for a pretty badass netmap. And Tantive IV looks like some serious CTF. Might you follow the Doom way of things and make net levels based on solo levels?
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I might but I don't really follow your logic about Tantive IV or the above screenshot tbh. :(
irons
Vidmaster

Yet another reminder of why I can't make maps anymore.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is level 3-3, Something Wicked.

irons
Vidmaster

Guys, this latest level is just great. Ryoko is becoming more and more focused and his experience of writing what he liked and didn't like for every level in Rubicon clarified to Ryoko what he wants to see in a scenario. We've talked about ways to make TGI:BX far, far better than it already was, and he's delivering so far. Get excited.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is the secret level for episode 2, Roquefortress. It's an installation in an underground chasm; falling off the level will kill you, though most of the level has guard rails so this is unlikely to happen.

Leads to some creepy exterior shots though.

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

not bad, but the last one looks dull.
D?rovací tvá?í.