Weapon Enhancement Pack 1.0 Released!

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
visciom
Cyborg

The Weapon Enhancement Pack replaces the weapon, ammo, blood, and explosion sprites with new HD ones.

Version History
1.3 - Added motion blur to the assault rifle
Improved the texture on the magnum pistol
Added blood splatter sprites
Improved grenade explosions
Added HD rocket explosions
Added HD power up sprites

1.2 - Low res version removed (texture quality settings now work)
Fixed assault rifle muzzle flash
Removed HD fist from the pack
Added HD grenade explosions
Added HD bullet ricochet sprites
Added HD shield energy canisters

1.1 - Fixed low res fusion "weapon in hand" sprites not working properly

1.0 - Removed black borders around some of the sprites
Added more detail to some of the textures
Changed back of the barrel of the shotgun to look more like the original
Created HD shell casings
Widened the assault rifle
Resolution of some sprites increased
Added more detail to the fists
Added low resolution version of the sprites
Added HD grenade projectile sprites

BETA - Initial release

Hosted on Simplici7y:
Version 1.3
http://67.96.53.196:3001/map/55/show

EDIT: On a windows machine, the mml files may show up as "Media Catalog Files", so windows users, when it says mml in the Read Me, I mean the "Media Cataglog File."
Last edited by visciom on Aug 25th '07, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sweet, I'm first to download... this aught to be good.

Edit:
I tested it just now... awesome. You fixed everything that needed fixing. Well done visciom! I didn't mention earlier that I LOVE the blur effect you have!

Everytime the shotgun or handgun reloads, I always look down at the blurring, its awesome.

If I had to find something to criticize, I would say to redo the fists, the 'plate' thing makes them look awkward. For version 1.0, this is one hell of a conversion!
Last edited by Longinus on Aug 2nd '07, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

YES TOTALLY AWSOME!!!! This definatly deserves a place next to shots fired and high res textures on SBO. Hopefully apple will put it there when he finds the time. On the other hand your fists still look a little untextured. Perhapse you could create a mesh texture of a glove simmilar to the ones they did for Durandal on the XBox conversion
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I believe switch has just done it.
visciom
Cyborg

herecomethej2000 wrote:YES TOTALLY AWSOME!!!! This definatly deserves a place next to shots fired and high res textures on SBO. Hopefully apple will put it there when he finds the time. On the other hand your fists still look a little untextured. Perhapse you could create a mesh texture of a glove simmilar to the ones they did for Durandal on the XBox conversion
Thx for the comments guys! Yea, I'm still not satisfied with the fists, but since I was happy with everything else, I decided to release it anyway.

P.S. You can always delete the fists in the wep.mml file if you find you really don't like them.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

How exactly do you get this to work? Your ReadMe doesn't help very much... Since I got this new computer I can use OpenGl now but it has way more problems then i thought.
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

stick wep.mml script in the scripts folder in your a1 folder and then put the wep folder in the root folder. Thing is, this is when you really need to have a seperate a1 folder dedicated to marathon Infinity. It gets really finicky when you have more then one scenario files with a1
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Longinus wrote:I believe switch has just done it.
no thats the old one that he did and I edited. Its just the origional shapes blured up a bit so they dont look as rough. Though you know you could probably replace the fist sprites from that one for the time being i think thats what Ill do.

EDIT: Then agian I guess he or I left thoes out, shame :(
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Aug 2nd '07, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
visciom
Cyborg

Well if your on windows, the mml files may show up as "Media Catalog File" instead of filename.mml.
Last edited by visciom on Aug 2nd '07, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well he said along time ago that he liked putting all the scenario files from all his scenarios in the A1 folder and have A1 switch between them in the environment menu. It gets really finicky that way. Especially as there are seperate .mml scripts for each scenario and you can't combine them. I know one .mml tells a1 which scenario your using and makes sure you can't join a game with a difrent scenario which would cause oos. And as a result would interfear with your hosting. as you would have the scenario files from say EVIL active but a .mml that would only let people in who are using infinity in.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Aug 2nd '07, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:Well he said along time ago that he liked putting all the scenario files from all his scenarios in the A1 folder and have A1 switch between them in the environment menu.
I really can't think of a worse idea. Each scenario *must* have a separate folder, nothing more to it.
treellama
Vidmaster

Can I ask why you made low resolution versions, instead of adding type="" so the texture sliders work? The DDS files already contain low resolution versions, you just have to tell Aleph One to use them.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Longinus wrote:I believe switch has just done it.
No, he hasn't.
Lugas
Vidmaster

Just out of curiosity, will this work with M2?
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

no thats the old one that he did and I edited. Its just the origional shapes blured up a bit so they dont look as rough. Though you know you could probably replace the fist sprites from that one for the time being i think thats what Ill do.

No, he hasn't.
My bad
treellama
Vidmaster

There's a separate MML script for Marathon 2 included!
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Thank you so much, Visciom. I can actually play with them online and not get my butt kicked so much!

Edit: im not sure if this is the same for the high res version, but for the low res, the fusion pistol while charging has a black box around it.
Last edited by Kidtofu on Aug 2nd '07, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
visciom
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Can I ask why you made low resolution versions, instead of adding type="" so the texture sliders work? The DDS files already contain low resolution versions, you just have to tell Aleph One to use them.
Well, when you lower the res of the weapon in hand/HUD textures in Aleph One, the HUD becomes unusable because it blurs the hud out.
Edit: im not sure if this is the same for the high res version, but for the low res, the fusion pistol while charging has a black box around it.

Bah, I must have missed that when play testing. It works fine in the full res version. I guess I'll have to reupload the file to fix that. Thanks for the info.
Last edited by visciom on Aug 2nd '07, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Lugas
Vidmaster

Ok, overall I think you did a good job, but I have issues with 3 weapons.

The fist is no good. It looks very strange, there's a big square part coming out of the top, its literally black on the skin.

The alien weapon looks too thin...and so does the AR.

Not to discourage you, this is a very good file!
treellama
Vidmaster

visciom wrote:Well, when you lower the res of the weapon in hand/HUD textures in Aleph One, the HUD becomes unusable because it blurs the hud out.
No, it doesn't--it won't affect the HUD at all.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

The alien weapon looks too thin...and so does the AR.

Not to discourage you, this is a very good file!
I first though this, but then I realized I didn't put the 'wep' mml in the scripts folder. (doh) Move the mml there, and your problem will be fixed.
Last edited by Longinus on Aug 2nd '07, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
visciom
Cyborg

I have released a new version that fixes a couple issues. Check my first post for the link.
Treellama wrote:No, it doesn't--it won't affect the HUD at all.
Well thats what happened when I go OpenGL>advanced options and change the texture resolution for weapons in hand/hud.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

This pack is getting better & better by every release. It's simply looking awesome.

Although there are couple of things bugging me.
- The pistols still seem a bit off to me, something about them that makes 'em simply different. Perhaps the scope?
- Is it just me or does the AR seem a bit thin when reloading?
- I simply don't like those plates (or whatever that is) on the fists.
- about the shotguns, look at the image below.

two things i notice, both the yellow light that is casted upon the shotgun. And also how the barrels are attached to the handle. the barrel/handle look a LOT better in this version compared to the beta but they still need some work.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

This is looking really excellent! I would agree with Johannes though, that the fist plate things are weird and out of place, and the shotguns still are too wide and not round enough. AR looks way better though, although it looks like the burst around the AR is cut off on the top when it's firing. Any idea why?
treellama
Vidmaster

visciom wrote:Well thats what happened when I go OpenGL>advanced options and change the texture resolution for weapons in hand/hud.
No, you don't want advanced, just OpenGL. Where it says "Unlimited" if you set it to "Normal" it will restrict it to 256x256, provided you have type="3" in the MML.

The advanced ones are for sprites on really old machines, and will scale what's there. You definitely don't want those.