Custom Physics - Yes, No?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

I thought I might try to make some custom physics for net play but there's no point if noone's interested in using it. My idea is to just adjust some of the weapons to make them a little less useless for net play, such as making the pistols a bit more powerful and the fusion bolts a bit faster, and also removing the weapon kickback just to give the game a different feel. So what're everyones thoughts on this?
megabyte
Vidmaster

i think you should keep the kick back. it makes the game really interesting
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
The Thug
Vidmaster

I think that sounds like a good idea, seeing that no one ever uses the fusion or the pistol, or the alien weapon for that matter. It would probably add more of a variety during gameplay instead of just using the same old normal physics. Go for it!
Last edited by The Thug on Sep 16th '07, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Megabyte wrote:i think you should keep the kick back. it makes the game really interesting
I don't really mind the kickback, I just think it would make a quite cool change, it would actually change game tactics as in Infinity you have to take it into account (so you don't go flying into a big pools of lava and the like). Get what I mean?
The Thug wrote:I think that sounds like a good idea, seeing that no one ever uses the fusion or the pistol, or the alien weapon for that matter. It would probably add more of a variety during gameplay instead of just using the same old normal physics. Go for it!
Cheers man, I probably will do it when I have time but I'm quite busy with school at the moment and at this exact minute I'm in bed ill. I'm using my laptop but it doesn't have classic.
That reminds me, wasn't there an os x physics editor project? Anvil X or something like that.
Pfhorever
Born on Board

No, though I would guess that Hakvil is the closest thing.
megabyte
Vidmaster

download xanvil here
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]
Some Guy
Born on Board

I say do it. Also make the AR a bit more accurate, not as acurate as the SMG though.
They say the mind twists and bends in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Some times the mind bends so much it snaps in two.

All memory of your existence will be wiped from reality, you will die, and none will mourn.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Tommy-TBone wrote:I thought I might try to make some custom physics for net play but there's no point if noone's interested in using it. My idea is to just adjust some of the weapons to make them a little less useless for net play, such as making the pistols a bit more powerful and the fusion bolts a bit faster, and also removing the weapon kickback just to give the game a different feel. So what're everyones thoughts on this?
People don't really use custom physics during netgames...I mean take a look at 7C++...
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Sep 18th '07, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
assassingao
Vidmaster

The problem is, one touch to anything screws up balance.
People don't really use custom physics during netgames...I mean take a look at 7C++...
As far as I'm concerned, I don't see anyone use 7C++.

Feel free to read my blog for some guidelines about Physics Modification.

http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?automodu...p;showentry=122

I gotta clean the trackbacks up, see ya.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Well here's the first version and I've christened it "Greased-up Scotsman".
Here are the current features:
* You now run much faster
* You can shake your left fist and shout abuse at other players (and fire a pfhor bolt)
* The SPNKR and AR now have no kickback
* The alien weapon and fusion pistol bolts are now faster
* The pistols are more powerful

Please give me comments and suggestions about it. I want to make sure people are happy with it before I put it up on Simplicity
Attachments
Greased_up_Scotsman.zip
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
The Thug
Vidmaster

I just love the name. I now love the fusion and the alien weapon much better too. :) I found that the no kickbacks were kind of awkward, though. I also like the pistol; it's kind of like a sniper rifle, but not really. The pfhor shot and especially the shouting abuse were quite hilarious!! But they were kind on necessary. I also had a problem with the fact that you had to hold down the second trigger to insult people. I pressed it once and got, "Got.." or "I got h.." It would cut off. The fast run was very interesting. We would all be on steroids! The only thing I would take out is the kickbacks. But besides that, I love it!! Nicely done. [MUp]
Last edited by The Thug on Sep 18th '07, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

what's teh xtrastuff folder for?
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Extra stuff would be my guess. I might be wrong, you never know.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

yes but it just has anothr copy of SCOTSMAN in it
Can't speel for hist.
megabyte
Vidmaster

maybe that copy has extra stuff. why dont you try it and find out?
Favorite quote
[viral]
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

it's not registering as a phys file. aslo, in the one not in the xtrastuff folder, you may want to speed up the pfhor shot (currently, i can pass it). same wit hthe RL, but i can't pass taht, but it's so much easier to avoid now
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:you may want to speed up the pfhor shot (currently, i can pass it). same wit hthe RL, but i can't pass taht, but it's so much easier to avoid now
Ha, I didn't think about that. There would be lots of, "Dang it!! I just rocketed myself!!" Pretty hilarious, if you ask me.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

assassingao wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I don't see anyone use 7C++.
That's what I meant.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Mordekai
Cyborg

Custom physics are usually annoying in net games. Unless you have a particular group of people who want to play with those physics, it usually just confuses or annoys people.
Last edited by Mordekai on Sep 21st '07, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Playing this, i find that the super-increased speed completly kills the balance between keyboarding and mousing
Can't speel for hist.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:Playing this, i find that the super-increased speed completly kills the balance between keyboarding and mousing
What do you mean. Do you mean that keyboard players are getting completely annihilated?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

well, i feel that way
it's too fast for the keyboard to keep up with
Can't speel for hist.
CryoS
Vidmaster

hmm...
ok lets see if i have gotten this straight. this physics you are creating makes the marine faster. and Phortiphy thinks that it gives mouse users a advantage over the keyboard users. i just cant see what this advatage is...
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

keyboard isn't fast, you can only turn a t a set rate. while keyboard is much better for precision, mouse is better for close combat (point and click) that's exaggerated a lot with the speed.
Can't speel for hist.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

I can't say I have a great deal of sympathy for the keyboard players that are going to be at a slight disadvantage whenever these physics are hosted. They're at a disadvantage anyway, especially the ones with configurations that mean they can't look up or down.

I also increased the amount that you can look up and down, it messes up the landscapes but I think it's worth it. Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the size of the landscapes to accommodate for an increased angle of vision. It was done for the updated Doom engines and would probably require aleph one to be changed a bit.