DOOMWAD

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:This would be pretty ironic, given your avatar :P
Sue me, that avatar is just for public image [MTongue]

By the way, I'm assuming the maps just to have to be inspired by Doom's flow and kill-everything atmosphere, and current Marathon standards such as differential lighting, complex architecture and use of play mechanics are still in force. Is it a must to have Doom-like elements in the map?
Embrace imagination.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

So if you get a 100 maps, you are just going to keep hoarding them until you don't get a map for a year, then release the whole pack? Or are you waiting for 20/10/5 etc. submissions, making a pack, then waiting for more? That was sort of an under-intention (if one can exist) of my original question. I mean, there is no deadline, but they are going to be released eventually right?
They are going to be released eventually. If I get 15 maps or something, and release it, and whoamg it looks like more people want to submit, I can release a second edition or update the first one to add more maps. Nothing is set in stone.
Is it a must to have Doom-like elements in the map?
What is the project called?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:What is the project called?
read your own posts, stupid
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

read your own posts, stupid
Stupid? Looks like the joke's on you.

The point was to get CKY to read my posts. Yes, Doom elements are necessary to some degree. That's why it's called DOOMWAD. I answer his question, first line of the third paragraph of the first post.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Stupid? Looks like the joke's on you.
Yes, it positively was a joke
Last edited by Drictelt on Sep 5th '08, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate
$lave
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:In that case, with the rebellion style health on respawn, I guess I could make a teleporter room filled with canisters, that teleports you to the beginning of the level, so I would not have to make a special script or anything to guarantee full health.
Unless you need to place the same type of canister across the level (As opposed to using chargers or a different type canister), you can just place one at the beginning and in "item settings" set the initial, minimum and maximum amount of that canister to "1", set the amount available to "∞" and set the appearance to 100%.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:The point was to get CKY to read my posts. Yes, Doom elements are necessary to some degree. That's why it's called DOOMWAD. I answer his question, first line of the third paragraph of the first post.
I don't get it, does that mean we're supposed to have tons of 5-polygon rooms like Doom? IMO, the level architecture in Doom sucks.
Embrace imagination.
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

chinkeeyong wrote:I don't get it, does that mean we're supposed to have tons of 5-polygon rooms like Doom? IMO, the level architecture in Doom sucks.
Have you ever played Doom?

Read Ryoko's first post again and for clarification, Doom levels are fun and simple in the respect that unlike Marathon levels you don't get easily lost. You can have good architecture that doesn't cause the player to be royally confused. So, go make a fun level that doesn't cause the player to get lost easily and can be beaten quickly if the player really tries. Better yet, go read the first post again.
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

That's possibly marathon's most annoying aspect, the overly complex level design [MErr]
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Sectors in Doom function differently from polygons in Marathon, so to say that a room in Doom has five polygons sectors is meaningless when trying to compare the two.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Sectors in Doom function differently from polygons in Marathon, so to say that a room in Doom has five polygons sectors is meaningless when trying to compare the two.
Oh, I meant that most of the rooms in Doom that I've seen would take about five polygons to make in Marathon. There were several notable exceptions, like the big slime-filled arenas you encounter every so often, but it's mostly dreary corridors.
Embrace imagination.
Paul
Cyborg

Since my mapping skills have improved slightly, I may be able to create something playable in time.

It's probably gonna suck, but I'll try; if it does, I'll still have fun playing it!
Da Spadger
Born on Board

chinkeeyong wrote:Oh, I meant that most of the rooms in Doom that I've seen would take about five polygons to make in Marathon.
If you're able to replicate this with five polygons, then you're truly a god amongst mappers. :V
Last edited by Da Spadger on Sep 28th '08, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

That's not original Doom or Doom II, I see slanted surfaces...
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Da Spadger wrote:If you're able to replicate this with five polygons, then you're truly a god amongst mappers. :V
Oh, I meant that most of the rooms in Doom that I've seen would take about five polygons to make in Marathon. There were several notable exceptions, like the big slime-filled arenas you encounter every so often, but it's mostly dreary corridors.
Anyway, that was a custom map. [MDown]
Crater Creator wrote:That's not original Doom or Doom II, I see slanted surfaces...
Trick of the low lighting and 2.5D.
Embrace imagination.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

No, it's really not. I brightened it up before making the comment. Take a look:
[attachment=2047:Doom3D.jpg]
The archway indicated with a blue arrow is either a hundred stair-steps small enough in width to look like a slant, or else it's not 2.5D the typical two dimensional polygonal geometry extruded vertically into the third dimension, which is the only kind of geometry supported by the original doom engine. Also, the red 'glows' coming from the ceiling lights are impossible in original Marathon or original Doom.
Attachments
Doom3D.jpg
Doom3D.jpg (217.09 KiB) Viewed 8260 times
Last edited by Crater Creator on Sep 29th '08, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:The archway indicated with a blue arrow is either a hundred stair-steps small enough in width to look like a slant, or else it's not 2.5D geometry.

Can we have a moratorium on using the term "2.5D", particularly when it involves giving it an arbitrary definition for the purposes of winning an argument (which is to say, always)?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I still think it's succinct, but if you insist.
treellama
Vidmaster

I've seen people use 2.5D to mean:
the level geometry is made of extruded polygonsthe engine displays objects in the 3D world using 2D spritesthe perspective projection plane is rotated when looking up and downthe engine can't support multiple clip windows per polygon side (i.e. B&B)the engine can't support rooms over top of rooms
It's not succinct, it's just meaningless. Duke Nukem 3D (and one of the Marathon 2 licensees, can't remember which) uses extruded polygons and supports sloped surfaces, so even your corrected version isn't helpful to the discussion.

On the other hand I apologize, I now realize my ire should have been directed at chinkeeyong (big surprise) for first using the term in this topic. Who knows what he even meant by it.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I don't want to argue semantics in this thread. It is helpful for illustrating my point, which I shall rephrase. Da Spadger's screenshot does not follow the constraints of the original Doom engine, and as a result isn't a good reference from which to make maps for this Doomwad scenario.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:No, it's really not. I brightened it up before making the comment.
Crater Creator wrote:Da Spadger's screenshot does not follow the constraints of the original Doom engine, and as a result isn't a good reference from which to make maps for this Doomwad scenario.
Ok, I didn't see that. Point taken.
Treellama wrote:On the other hand I apologize, I now realize my ire should have been directed at chinkeeyong (big surprise) for first using the term in this topic. Who knows what he even meant by it.
Darn, why does Tree hate me so much? [MFrown] I meant the extruded-polygon definition; next time I'll not use the term.
Embrace imagination.
Da Spadger
Born on Board

I should mention that the map in the picture makes use of a source port called Zdoom, which adds tons of new features. (One of them being slopes, of course. It still can't do room over room though)

I must admit, when I found out about A1 and saw that it was the only marathon source port around, I was surprised. There's tons of of doom source ports around, but only one for marathon.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I must admit, when I found out about A1 and saw that it was the only marathon source port around, I was surprised. There's tons of of doom source ports around, but only one for marathon.
There's also tons of Doom fans for every one Marathon fan.
treellama
Vidmaster

There are/were also Aleph Inio, Aleph Modular, and Old Durandal. Aleph One dominates because we mostly agreed to work together on it, rather than sprouting tons of forks like Doom did.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 30th '08, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:There's also tons of Doom fans for every one Marathon fan.
Like me!
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!