Mr. Project DX

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
xilef
Cyborg

I made this grass and normal map for you <3

Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was gonna write you a PM about how I still wanted to work on this project for a Christmas present, but then I forgot to send it. Let me know if you need anything such a feeble minded as myself could do.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
xilef
Cyborg

Are you able to make it so every time the player gets damaged the screen blurs?

Or do something like Goldeneye Wii, bloom the screen ridiculously when reloading so the player thinks it's distance blur.
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'd have to take another look at the MML documentation, see if you can make the screen faders bloom.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can I has update?..

YES

Lately, new 1024x1024 Bump Mapped Textures are coming along. I'm replacing everything created so far with nicer and (hopefully) more skillful efforts.

Xilef, can you possibly redo the bumped grass in 1024x1024, and send me PNGs of the normal and the bumpmap? I'd love to try it out. If you don't have dropbox access, please drop me a PM, and I'll get that sorted for you.

As for some of what I've got so far, examples can be seen below:

[attachment=4566:1.jpg]

[attachment=4570:5.jpg]

[attachment=4571:6.jpg]

[attachment=4569:4.jpg]

[attachment=4568:3.jpg]
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (212.33 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (605.21 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (594.48 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (251.53 KiB) Viewed 6569 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (520.69 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
Last edited by Kurinn on Feb 1st '11, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

As a trailer on to my last post, I'd like to share some things I've had to realize on my own about making bumpmaps. If you know what you are doing, most of this would be for granted, but if I am off on anything, please enlighten me. For the benefit of those who haven't done much work with bumpmaps, here are some things that might help.

1. In order to make your bumpmaps mesh along poly lines without looking "off", it's important to realize that setting a baseline for your texture's apparent depth is necessary.

For example, if I have two bumped textures on the same wall, the values of the bumpmap along the borders should be the same if I want to avoid a ragged seam. I do this by generally having all of the bumpmaps start at 50% black. If I make a texture with tiles, for example, the grout or seams would have a value of 50%, and the tiles themselves might be at 60%. If I have two different types of tiles on bordering polys, the grout will always be at the same apparent depth, so the visible seam will be much less obvious.

2. Keep gradients in mind.

If I have a bumpmap with a sharp jump, say one pixel is 50%, and the other is 100%, the renderer will make a depth gradient between them using the texture pixel corresponding to the depth pixel at 50% as the apparent "side" of the gradient. Using tiles as an example again, if the tile has to raise up above the grout, then the best way to do it is to offset the bump map so that the lower pixels would overlap with the texture pixels of the apparent raised surface. This way, the "side" of the tile will be the same color/texture as the rest. For this reason as well, it's usually good to smooth out your gradients with a blur, but always pay attention to where the gradients fall in terms of the texture itself. In many cases, I find myself zooming in so I can look at where the actual pixels are, so that I know for certain what's going on. This is also why I always edit my bumpmaps as a separate layer above the texture itself in GIMP. I can change opacity to get a better image of what I am doing.

3. Quick isn't always good, but sometimes it is. That's why I use filters.

Since I am using a lot of photo-based textures at high resolution, it is important that I not spend all day on one texture. For that reason, I use a lot of filters to detect edges, and then I mess with contrast and blurring to make a generalized image of how depth should ideally vary for the texture. It's more of a trick than a general rule, but for stuff like textures where there are lots of small details in depth, like cinder blocks, this can approximate depth pretty well. There are benefits and pitfalls. If I just extract the edges using a Sobel filter or something in GIMP, desaturate, mess with contrast, and then blur it a little (gaussian, 1px), I can get a decent amount of detail. But, if I blur it too much, the entire thing just looks like a melty mess. The best way is to experiment and find something that looks more or less good for the texture at hand. My typical way of doing things looks like this:

Make a copy of the layer > Edge filter > Desaturate > Make a new layer of 50% gray beneath that layer > Set the edged layer to "Multiply" > Mess with opacity until I think I've got it.

Anyway, I'm still working on my technique, but this is what I've found works so far. I hope that it helps anyone who is interested in bump mapping, but hasn't tried it yet or aren't sure what they are doing. If you have any advice or correction as to what I've just said, please let me know, it would help a lot.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Looking good, like a totally different engine.

Vewy pwetty!
"Escape will make me God"
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm really looking forward to this. I also think this might inspire some good content from other people after it's done.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo wrote:I'm really looking forward to this. I also think this might inspire some good content from other people after it's done.
Like AlephOneCart?

[attachment=4572:street.jpg]
Attachments
street.jpg
street.jpg (196.23 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I read your notes on bump mapping with interest. It'd be fun to experiment with bump mapping and other shader effects myself, but I don't know when I'll have time. I also noticed the battery icon for the first time, and I'm curious to know what role that will play in the game.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

That sky should show a city skyline. IMHO, it would look better. Or is this a walled city in the middle of some desert?
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:That sky should show a city skyline. IMHO, it would look better. Or is this a walled city in the middle of some desert?
Well, if you want to try your hand at landscaping, I wouldn't complain.
The trick is that in most Japanese cities, the building density is such that you'll seldom if ever really see a skyline, unless of course you're standing up high, looking out from a building, or something like that. You just see buildings all around you in the immediate area. Of course, for any level which might involve being in a skyscraper or tower, it would make sense. It isn't something that I'm going to just slap together though, so this sky is standing in as the landscape for now while I work on things. When I eventually get around to the landscape, it will take time to sort out perspective, focus, that sort of thing, and to make it look good. But, I appreciate your input, and I assure you that I will be getting around to it someday.

For now though, allow me to show you where the buildings are:

[attachment=4573:buildings.jpg]

The map isn't always going to have the size to allow for huge cityscape architecture, so I scale down the textures by 50%, thus creating a handy perspective illusion. If you stand next to it, each window is about .25WU tall, and the whole thing looks remarkably silly. Proportion and sizing with regards to perspective are big issues with "realistic" mapping like this, so it takes a bit of time getting everything figured out. I'm generally sticking to the 2m/WU scale since it just makes sense. A doorway is 1x0.5 WU, for example, because not only does that more or less add up to real life if you do the conversion (Okay, the door is a bit wide in that case), but it also fits nicely with the Marine's default physics and looks good enough in terms of perspective with the way the camera is set up. Making things look just neat enough without being "too" perfect is tricky, so in cases like this where I can get by using eye tricks, it's quite nice for the time it takes to come up with a decent texture for the building.
Attachments
buildings.jpg
buildings.jpg (287.68 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:The map isn't always going to have the size to allow for huge cityscape architecture, so I scale down the textures by 50%, thus creating a handy perspective illusion. If you stand next to it, each window is about .25WU tall, and the whole thing looks remarkably silly. Proportion and sizing with regards to perspective are big issues with "realistic" mapping like this, so it takes a bit of time getting everything figured out.
That is a very clever trick...
Last edited by zero on Feb 2nd '11, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Escape will make me God"
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:2. Keep gradients in mind.
All of Kurinn's points are good, but I want to underline this one. I've seen some bump maps in progress, where the "side" of the gradient was located over a shadow drawn into the texture. When the bump-mapping was applied, the raised edge was completely black due to the shadow, and (being totally black) did not get any highlighting even when facing it head-on, where your "miner's light" should have been lighting up that edge. If you take Kurinn's advice and pay close attention to the pixels that get stretched by the mapping, you'll have something that looks a lot better, even if it's offset slightly from where you'd think the depth change should happen.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

I signed on to this project awhile ago with no actual skills to speak of, and so set to the task of making physics models.
Since we've got all the weapon functions roughed out at this point I thought I'd take advantage of all the free time I have on Valentine's day to talk about things you shoot people with. YOU SAW NOTHING WRK
To start with we have the Type 11 9mm Pistol], the JS-23A2 10mm Auto-Rifle (just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?) and the CZN-M22 9mm SMG.
The assault rifle packs the most punch but is the least accurate of the three on full-auto. It has a (truly) semi-automatic secondary fire which can be used to lengthen the life of the 30 round clip and hit targets farther away. The pistols are the slowest firing of the three, even when dual-wielded, but are the most accurate. Each pistol has 18 rounds per clip, meaning with two you can keep up fire for quite a while on distant targets. We've also taken a secession to reality and made the pistols do more damage than the SMG, so they still have a place once you pick it up. The SMG does the least damage, has an accuracy rating somewhere between the AR and pistols, and has the largest clip. (50 rounds, I'm currently playing around with this clip size.) It's useful for killing targets between mid and long range, though if you go any further the semi-auto option of the AR or the pistols will serve you better.
Wrapping up the ballistic weaponry section is the DST-30 12Ga. Shotgun or 'your typical 8 shell video game shotty.' This thing packs quite a punch at close range but if you're not careful you'll get chewed long before you can close with your target. It doesn't stunlock quite as effectively as the AR or SMG either, which can be pretty critical with the (1) enemy as I've got it right now. Even with these weaknesses, it is still a formidable weapon.
Next we have the two explosive weapons.
First is the Mk.2 Automatic Recoilless Cannon. With a magazine capacity of 5 rounds, this weapon fires grenade type things travelling at the speed of your original normal marathon bullet. They do minimal splash damage but will strip most of a marine's red health in a single shot.
Second is the disposable rocket launcher for which we have not yet invented a ridiculous number/letter string. With a splash radius of just over five world units and capable of taking half a major jugg's health in a single hit, it's certainly an effective weapon against large groups of infantry. However, given the rarity of the weapon, one would be advised to save it for the formidable armored opponents we haven't implemented yet.
Finally, we have the obligatory for the near future setting directed energy weapon. Some sort of microwave ray or long range taser or other, this gun fires a constant beam, doing around 150 damage per hit, but only lasts for a few seconds. While being ineffective against armored opponents, it's ability to penetrate multiple targets and minor splash damage make it the perfect choice for getting rid of large groups of pesky biologicals.
You may have noticed there are a few weapon slots missing here. The fists are just hands, they are there to taunt you with their uselessness and not much else, and we may include some sort of melee weapon or hand grenade or something.
Last edited by Dis on Feb 14th '11, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Dis wrote:Just like with the constitution, the important parts are bolded for all you invalids out there.
what
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

some meaningless crap
right to bear arms
more meaningless crap

irons
Vidmaster

It's the [post="49707"]Alan[/post] revision to the Constitution.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey man, I just got out of 5th grade. This shit is still fresh in my brain.

Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

As you can see, we're picking up steam. I've just recruited Daddy Zero to the team, since he seems to have the drive to do something.

To pick up on Dis' post, I'll make a few corrections and comments.

The pistol is actually not a dual wielded weapon. It does, however, carry 18 rounds, which makes up for this.

The Mk2. ARC gun will fire 6 rounds per magazine, and CryoS is just finishing up the models for that, which I think you'll all really like. We upped the magazine size while CryoS was in the process of modeling the weapon, which will make sense when you see it.

It will fire grenades. Primary fire gives you a grenade with a rocket motor, which has considerable range and a decent punch. Secondary is the same projectile, but the rocket doesn't fire, so it flies on an arc. What is really neat about this is that if you are firing at a target that is quite a ways away, you can pop off a slow round with the secondary trigger, then lower your aim and fire a fast grenade. If you time it right, you'll get two explosions at the same time, which can come in handy against stronger enemies.

Of course everything is still fluid, so some changes are likely, but for now this is where we have been making the most progress.

EDIT:

Mk.2 ARC Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E3jICSKWYs
Last edited by Kurinn on Feb 14th '11, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:The pistol is actually not a dual wielded weapon.
There go my dreams of an epic John Woo style shoot out. :/

Furray
Born on Board

Too bad.
The guy who is alotted a lot, and I mean"alot,"of rockets to the face.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Two things in your post stood out because they have the potential to run into engine limitations...
Dis wrote:...this weapon fires grenade type things travelling at the speed of your original normal marathon bullet.
Does that mean there are other weapons that exceed the speed of an original normal Marathon bullet (1024)?
...With a splash radius of just over five world units and capable of taking half a major jugg's health in a single hit...
Are you aware that explosions can't propagate across more than one polygon?
treellama
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:Are you aware that explosions can't propagate across more than one polygon?
JFO: CC has never killed a Juggernaut
Last edited by treellama on Feb 15th '11, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Furray
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:JFO: CC has never killed a Juggernaut
I hate those damned things.
The guy who is alotted a lot, and I mean"alot,"of rockets to the face.