Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Juzo-kun
Born on Board

Downloading right now! I hope to be able to play it soon.
But first, I have to thank everyone involved in the project for all the work that got into this! Thank you! [MSmile]
[MUp]
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

happy to see people coming out of the woodwork to play :)

buried in life right now so I can't check myself but Lia can you maybe confirm for me, are there actually hovering-not-walking Bobs on Philosophy of Time Travel and is that intentional? I hadn't noticed that change, and I thought I had played everything that you guys had changed while I was sick but maybe I missed that. it kinda sounds not-good, like something people will think is a bug, like halosammy did.
halosammy
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:happy to see people coming out of the woodwork to play :)

buried in life right now so I can't check myself but Lia can you maybe confirm for me, are there actually hovering-not-walking Bobs on Philosophy of Time Travel and is that intentional? I hadn't noticed that change, and I thought I had played everything that you guys had changed while I was sick but maybe I missed that. it kinda sounds not-good, like something people will think is a bug, like halosammy did.
I have no complaint if it was intentional. I just thought it might have been a bug since I know all the other Jjaro skinned BOBs were taken out.

Honestly, I care more about the wall texture thingy, because it sucks that the latest beta of Aleph One only seems to work for me when the textures aren’t as crisp.
treellama
Vidmaster

There will probably be an assertion failure message in the log: https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... #log-files

Can you post (here or in the 1.3b3 thread) what is in there?
halosammy
Born on Board

treellama wrote:There will probably be an assertion failure message in the log: https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... #log-files

Can you post (here or in the 1.3b3 thread) what is in there?
I’ll do this upon returning from campus in a few hours.

As for why I posted here instead of the 1.3b3 thread, other scenarios seem to work, so my automatic assumption was that something in the Eternal was to blame.
treellama
Vidmaster

Probably--but, Aleph One shouldn't crash even if a scenario is configured incorrectly. It's far from that forgiving right now though.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Lia can you maybe confirm for me, are there actually hovering-not-walking Bobs on Philosophy of Time Travel and is that intentional? I hadn't noticed that change, and I thought I had played everything that you guys had changed while I was sick but maybe I missed that. it kinda sounds not-good, like something people will think is a bug, like halosammy did.
I'm pretty sure it was like that in Eternal 1.1, or if not, it's been that way since very early in 1.2 development. The hovering BoBs are wearing black, so they do have a visual distinction of being different, and are only found on a dream level, so I always assumed that was intentional. AFAIK we never touched BoB physics, and I no longer have 1.1 or my 1.2 backups on hand as I deleted them to save space once 1.2 final was released so I can't check atm.
halosammy
Born on Board

Here is my error message.

Unhandled exception: std::bad_alloc (shell.cpp:351)

Every time wall textures are set to “Highest” or above.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

I tried the new 1.3b3 and the mouse action works great, both modern and classic. It crashed immediately,
dint even load the first level or scratch start Mohicans,
with the dreaded Unhandled exception: std::bad_alloc (shell.cpp:351)

I disabled HD textures and it worked fine, but…

I found a way to make it work (and 1.2.1 too, by the way) with the HD textures.

Graphics > Rendering Options > General
Change Replacement Texture Quality options
all but one from Unlimited to Highest,
and one to Normal.
I chose Weapons in Hand for normal cause they look good in normal.
And it works. Looks great. Works great.

Caveat: I've only run through Nowhere into Deja Vu, scratch started Mohicans & popped the jugs, and ran around on the Piazza in Sakhmet, so I don't know if'n it'll hold for the entire campaign but I don't see why not.
Attachments
Screenshot_0004.png
Screenshot_0004.png (53.62 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

weird, I never noticed hoving bobs at all. i just ran through that level myself and barely saw any bobs at all except two guarding the very last room, and then ran like normal. i think if there are other hovering bobs somewhere else that that's a bug that i just never caught because they're off the normal path of that level and i never ran into them in later playthroughs.

did this in 1.3b3 btw which worked fine for me.
halosammy
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:weird, I never noticed hoving bobs at all. i just ran through that level myself and barely saw any bobs at all except two guarding the very last room, and then ran like normal. i think if there are other hovering bobs somewhere else that that's a bug that i just never caught because they're off the normal path of that level and i never ran into them in later playthroughs.

did this in 1.3b3 btw which worked fine for me.
Does that mean we’re getting 1.2.1?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Not for a little bug like that that has apparently been around for years and years now. Maybe for whatever we end up calling the next release probably in about a year, though.

Can you tell me where in the level you see the hovering Bobs? Maybe a polygon number?
halosammy
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:Not for a little bug like that that has apparently been around for years and years now. Maybe for whatever we end up calling the next release probably in about a year, though.

Can you tell me where in the level you see the hovering Bobs? Maybe a polygon number?
I checked to make sure, and It’s every single Bob in the level no matter where they spawn except for the one Vacuum Bob chilling outside the airlock.

If I protect them from the monsters onboard the station, they act like this wherever they go.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Just to be clear, that one VacBob chiiling outside the airlock was added by me, it was not out there nor was there a way to go out there in 1.1.

It shouldn't be all the BoBs. The BoBs in the north half of the station should be normal BoBs, the BoBs inside the south half of the station are all "Assimilated BoB"s.

Two Assimilated BoBs start in the west part of the station that you look at through windows from that first corridor, two in the vent system where there are normally two MADDs, and two in the Power Generator where there are normally VacBoBs. There are no BoBs in the southeast area where there are normally lots of BoBs, nor are there any "guard BoBs" in the south half of the station like other dreams have.
halosammy
Born on Board

ravenshining wrote:Just to be clear, that one VacBob chiiling outside the airlock was added by me, it was not out there nor was there a way to go out there in 1.1.

It shouldn't be all the BoBs. The BoBs in the north half of the station should be normal BoBs, the BoBs inside the south half of the station are all "Assimilated BoB"s.

Two Assimilated BoBs start in the west part of the station that you look at through windows from that first corridor, two in the vent system where there are normally two MADDs, and two in the Power Generator where there are normally VacBoBs. There are no BoBs in the southeast area where there are normally lots of BoBs, nor are there any "guard BoBs" in the south half of the station like other dreams have.
The BOBs really aren’t working like they were intended to when I run it then. The ones in the generator room don’t get themselves killed immediately, so I have time to make it there and kill them myself. They bleed red and don’t explode. Has anyone else checked this?

I can post a screenshot if you need proof.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Huh, I think both of the Assimilated slots (normal and VacBob) were at one point used for some other monsters. I was going to say MADDs were one of them but apparently those are also on this level and look normal? I think one of them might have been intended to be the monster for Hathor herself as she was to be featured on We Met Once In The Garden, which could explain the hovering, but I don't know why there would be a bunch of Hathors placed on The Philosophy of Time Travel.

The once-intended Bobs that were to have featured in "Omega" back before 1.1 happened were:

Green Unarmed Bobs
Silver Unarmed Bobs
Black Fusion Bobs

Green Fusion VacBobs
Silver Fusion VacBobs
White Unarmed VacBobs

Which all were to fit in the non-Assimilated Bob/VacBob slots. I don't remember what, besides Hathor who was probably supposed to go in the Assimilated VacBob slot, would have gone in the Assimilated Bob slot. (Wait, are the Fusion Orbs in the Assimilated VacBob slot? That would narrow down the Assimilated Bob slot to the Hathor placeholder, but still not explain why she's all over The Philosophy of Time Travel).

One of us should check what that level looked like back in 1.0.
halosammy
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:Huh, I think both of the Assimilated slots (normal and VacBob) were at one point used for some other monsters. I was going to say MADDs were one of them but apparently those are also on this level and look normal? I think one of them might have been intended to be the monster for Hathor herself as she was to be featured on We Met Once In The Garden, which could explain the hovering, but I don't know why there would be a bunch of Hathors placed on The Philosophy of Time Travel.

The once-intended Bobs that were to have featured in "Omega" back before 1.1 happened were:

Green Unarmed Bobs
Silver Unarmed Bobs
Black Fusion Bobs

Green Fusion VacBobs
Silver Fusion VacBobs
White Unarmed VacBobs

Which all were to fit in the non-Assimilated Bob/VacBob slots. I don't remember what, besides Hathor who was probably supposed to go in the Assimilated VacBob slot, would have gone in the Assimilated Bob slot. (Wait, are the Fusion Orbs in the Assimilated VacBob slot? That would narrow down the Assimilated Bob slot to the Hathor placeholder, but still not explain why she's all over The Philosophy of Time Travel).

One of us should check what that level looked like back in 1.0.
The BOBs walk normally in 1.0. Checked it just now.
treellama
Vidmaster

So, one person reports "Highest" walls work fine, but another has to set them down to "Higher" to run. Still others, myself included, can use "Unlimited"

For walls, "Highest" limits them to 1024x1024. Are there really textures in Eternal bigger than this!?

Also, are you both running 64-bit Windows?
halosammy
Born on Board

treellama wrote:So, one person reports "Highest" walls work fine, but another has to set them down to "Higher" to run. Still others, myself included, can use "Unlimited"

For walls, "Highest" limits them to 1024x1024. Are there really textures in Eternal bigger than this!?

Also, are you both running 64-bit Windows?
Yes. I am.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:For walls, "Highest" limits them to 1024x1024. Are there really textures in Eternal bigger than this!?
A few textures like terminals and chargers that you'd be smashing your face up into a lot are 2048x2048.
halosammy wrote:The BOBs walk normally in 1.0. Checked it just now.
Okay, that sounds like some normal Assimilated Bobs (they are Assimilated that you're seeing, right?) were placed on that level for some reason in 1.0, probably mistakenly (I think when mapping I would sometimes accidentally place Assimilated Bobs when I meant to place Tiny Bobs, which are W'rk nightmares), and probably usually died before I could see them / were just out of the way on my runthroughs, and nobody else thought they were weird; and then in the buildup to "Omega" that became 1.1, that thought-unused Assimilated Bob slot was partially transformed into a Hathor monster that also never got used, and then again I somehow never saw the hovering Bobs accidentally placed on that one level, and nobody else thought it was too weird (for a dream level, I guess).

I'll go delete them now. Thanks for finding that!
raptor200221
Born on Board

Are there any plans to add a Hathor boss fight in the future still? Also, are there any plans for a sequel, or additional levels?
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
||Legends of Marathon Net Maps|| ||Eternal Legends of Marathon Net Maps||
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

If someone (Tacticus?) can make a Hathor model, and someone else (Aaron? Lia?) can script the fight, then yeah I'd love to have a Hathor boss fight in there still, but that all depends on people with skills I don't have doing things I can't do.

No plans for a sequel or additional levels, unless someone feels like doing some of the stuff I described in my postmortem plans post upthread, but I don't plan on doing any of that i barely have time to finish writing this post
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you two try this version and see if it does any better with Eternal's textures: http://treellama.org/AlephOne-LAA.zip
raptor200221
Born on Board

Is Chronicles a type of sequel to Eternal? I thought Aaron got inspiration from it.
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
||Legends of Marathon Net Maps|| ||Eternal Legends of Marathon Net Maps||
halosammy
Born on Board

treellama wrote:Can you two try this version and see if it does any better with Eternal's textures: http://treellama.org/AlephOne-LAA.zip
Will do. Gimme an hour or so.
Last edited by halosammy on Apr 3rd '19, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.