Anyhow, here’s the latest alpha.
Complete graphical overhaul throughout. Almost every texture that appeared in M2/∞ is now the version that ships with the current version of A1. Moreover, in cases where there weren’t bump-mapping, I’ve usually created it. (The main exceptions are control panels.) I’ve also brought in HD versions of almost all the Tempus and Rubicon textures that didn’t already have them. A few exceptions:
- Collection 5, textures 114, 120, and 124 – I couldn’t locate these in the Rubicon X shapes file. It’s possible they were in the original version but were not included in Rubicon X. (It appears that the standard definition textures in Rubicon X’s shapes file were overhauled to match the HD versions; thus, none of the SD textures in Rubicon X match the textures in the original Rubicon.)
- Collection 3, texture 111 – I just kind of like the original version more. I’m not sure I actually used this in the current Chronicles map anyway.
Beyond that, the last three textures in collection 4 show up blank. I can’t figure out why. There are just as many textures in collection 1 and it loads fine.
Most of the textures, I think, look better with bump mapping, even though a lot of them are just quick and dirty versions I made, but there are a few that definitely could use some sprucing up.
The following other textures also don’t have HD versions:
- Water collection, textures 36, 46, and 48, and Pfhor collection, texture 37: I created the SD versions with Photoshop’s “Lighting Effects” filter, but for some reason, it crashes when I try to modify the light placement. If someone can remake them from the .dds files, I’d appreciate it. I made an HD version of water 48 a long time ago, but it’s obviously not Goran’s latest version, so it looks out of place.
- Water collection, textures 49, 50, and 88: These were from the M2 demo, and thus I’m not aware of any existing HD versions. I don’t possess the artistic skill to make them myself. Again, if someone can make replicas, I’d appreciate it.
- Water collection, texture 125: same deal, except it was from Marathon Evil, which also doesn’t have HD textures.
- Earth collection, texture 28: I think some of this comes from Evil and most of it comes from Rubicon. I can probably do a half-decent upscaling of the Evil part, but the big problem is that it uses Bank Gothic for the “Alert” bit, and I no longer have it.
- Earth collection, texture 100: Same deal as the M2 demo/Evil textures, except this was from Megiddo Game.
- Earth collection, textures 102-110: I made these myself awhile back, and simply haven’t bothered remaking them. TBH I don’t know if 102 and 110 are even still used in the scenario so they’re probably not important. (Again, though, I don’t have Modula Tall and Bank Gothic for texture 102). 103-109 are used in “Everyone I Went to High School With Is Dead”, and I haven’t figured out how to remake them.
- Pfhor collection, texture 72, and Jjaro collection, texture 123: Just been too lazy to remake these. I might get them this weekend.
- Pfhor collection, texture 73: Again, I haven’t got Bank Gothic installed.
I’m probably going to re-render my latest film of each level with the new shapes, but I won’t bother with all the old ones.