Second Quest

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

As you may know, I've begun a project to eventually remake all 22 of Infinity's netmaps (24, but Route 66 is there twice and I'm only remaking it once; also, we're not doing House of Pain). The project should take me a while, but remaking maps is generally easier than making a new one. All of the maps are remade from scratch; the idea is to retain the feeling while fixing up issues with flow and balance, and just generally making them better maps. Kinetic Turtle, screamingfool, treellama, and irons are also part of the group; this is a collaborative effort.

Ultimately, the goal behind Second Quest is not to make the maps top-flight, since most of them simply can't get there. A lot of these maps are gimmicky or without any real dimension. However, we tried to make them playable and enjoyable, while fixing issues that appear and problems in the original layout, but keeping the original idea intact.

OFFICIAL RELEASE:
Second Quest v1.0.0 is available for download here!

Bonus maps are maps that are being remade, even though they're not part of the regular Infinity maps.

Bonus maps currently include:
Matrix Lobby by Matt Ramquist
House of Monkey from Coriolis Loop
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 30th '07, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Attached to this post is Wrath No More? All maps attached in this topic are test runs and not the final product; they'll only be replaced in the event of a serious issue.
I'm a fan, and I was a pretty staunch proponent of the original. Is the hill still in the same place? If so, the new teleporter destination might not be the hottest idea...
treellama
Vidmaster

A++, fast shipping, would play map again
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'm a fan, and I was a pretty staunch proponent of the original. Is the hill still in the same place? If so, the new teleporter destination might not be the hottest idea...
I got rid of the hill, because I think the current destination for the hill is far too easy to defend. Especially with the new layout; you can't hit someone with a rocket from outside if they're in the hill very easily, so you'd have to go charging up there and put yourself at the mercy of anyone camping. It was like that to an extent in the original, but it's more so now because I got rid of all those walls. If I put a new hill there at all, it'll be the northern ledge around The Ride.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Mars Needs Women has been added to the completed roster. The map is a pretty fun dueling map, now.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 27th '07, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Beyond Thunderdome and Duality have been prepared, but I doubt I'll upload either.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Route 66's retexture has been completed. Route 66, Duality, and Beyond Thunderdome have all been merged together and put into one file: Arena Classics. Download is attached to the first post, as usual. They're all somewhat old maps, but they're fun.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 28th '07, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Spline has been completed and added to the list. It's not a great map, but as I've heard said before, "You can only polish a turd so much." This rendition of Spline is probably the furthest off of the original that I've been so far while remaking these maps; the only thing it really has in common with the original is the Lava textureset and the curvy stairs. There's a lot more open space now; most of the map is one room now. Spline is now a very small map, meant only for fast-paced duels.

Edit: Okay, re-uploaded, swapping out Shotguns for Fusion and nixing the 1x recharger.

Update: Dueling on Spline is fast-paced and challenging; a fair amount of trickery is involved. Fusion, AR, and SMG are balanced pretty well here. There's a missing texture that most people probably won't see; I'm not reuploading the map to fix it. I wouldn't recommend more than two, though.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Mar 3rd '07, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

A nice little bonus has been added to the list: a remake of Matrix Lobby by Matt Ramquist.

More updates: screamingfool is lending a hand with some of the workload; together, we've made good progress on Thick and Chunky as well.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:A nice little bonus has been added to the list: a remake of Matrix Lobby by Matt Ramquist.

More updates: screamingfool is lending a hand with some of the workload; together, we've made good progress on Thick and Chunky as well.
Sweet, finally got it working did you?
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

You bet your ass I did. It's pretty fun, though it's not an amazing map by any means.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Thick and Chunky has been added to the list. The geometry and architecture was done by screamingfool; I did the texturing and item placement.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The first eight remakes have all been compiled to form the first official Second Quest "release." Check it out in the first post.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Minor update: Second Quest is now hosted by the House of Luck.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

King of Pain has been removed from the list because, in practice, House and King of Pain are basically the same map. Any remake that I do of one will inevitably look like a remake of the other, so I'm not going to bother doing it twice.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Yet Another Fucking Net Map has been added to the list of completed maps. Beware: this one bears almost no resemblance whatsoever to the original. I tried to keep in some key features -- long, tall corridors, and "The Overlook," -- but overall there's really no connection. It's probably a bigger departure than Spline was.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Mar 13th '07, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Melatonin and reverof nohtaram have been added to the completed map list, and can be downloaded as usual. Melatonin was made by Kinetic Turtle, and reverof was made by screamingfool.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Mar 14th '07, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
December Wolves
Spazeroid

Leave Ex Justicia Mortis to me.
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

Melatonin has missing textures on the west side lift.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it
December Wolves
Spazeroid

Melatonin has untextured sides. It's also very loud... But mainly the untextured elevators. I'd also request a delay on the elevators to be lengthened slightly, the speed is fine but pause for half a second and you won't get off it or onto it in time.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Leave Ex Justicia Mortis to me.
I'd really rather not.
Melatonin has missing textures on the west side lift.
Noted and fixed. I'm not going to release another test version with it fixed, but it has been taken care of.
I'd also request a delay on the elevators to be lengthened slightly
Noted and fixed.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Not sure how I missed so many textures! Crazy.

The short platform delays are a leftover from an experiment in trying to make it possible to run over the platforms on the lowest level without stopping, to get between sections. It wound up stupid, but I forgot to change the delay time back.
December Wolves
Spazeroid

RyokoTK wrote:I'd really rather not.
Your choice.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Your choice.
Unless you are truly an exemplary mapper, I'm not interested. This isn't some open collaborative effort. Kinetic Turtle and screamingfool are both accomplished mappers that can get the job done right, which is what I'm looking for.
Lugas
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:04. Y.A.F.N.M.
I like this map, especially the unholy altar, which looks really cool. Great job! [MUp] The bad news is that the platforms are going up and down way too quickly.
Last edited by Lugas on Mar 18th '07, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.