Random map

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

So, Ryoko suggested I share something I've made and this map is pretty much it. I don't have any finished maps or ones that are intended to be played except for this one. I made it improvisationally without a clear goal in mind except for the central boxing arena where you box with a couple of F'lickta as S'pht watch from the bleachers. I had this idea of making a joke scenario that was a sequel to Infinity where you have to fight in the intergalactic underground boxing circuit in order to make cab fare back to Earth. This very small map was going to be one of the later levels and slightly more difficult due to the lack of "ropes" keeping you from falling into the lava.

I know there's a lot of problems with it.

As I made it I basically just threw in whatever idea popped into my head whether it fit or flowed or not (the three simultaneous doors, the trick recharger, the shuddering lava, the S'pht mural, etc.) The lighting is probably terrible and there are spots where I forgot to do any lighting at all. Some of the texturing is off. I made it in Forge but when I checked it in AlephOne some of the "fence" textures weren't aligned the way they were supposed to be. I'd try and fix some of these things before posting, but my iBook's adapter cord burnt itself in half so I'm not using it or forge right now. Instead I'm using a PC and I don't feel like getting a handle on Visual LUA to fix these problems.

The two F'lickta drop two chips which you use to progress to the exit room, but sometimes there's a glitch and they won't drop their chip; I think this has something to do with them dying on a line in between two polygons of different heights.

The map is meant to be played fists-only since it is a boxing match, but I've included an SMG in the starting room so you don't have to waste time with that if you don't want. The terminals were supposed to have funny things written in them but they are empty on this map. I don't think I did anything with sounds anywhere so it's mostly quiet. A lot of the indoor architecture is stolen from "Where monsters are in dreams".

The secrets are probably more interesting than the main part of the map. If you don't want to figure them out for yourself, here:
Spoiler:
After inserting one chip the lava will jiggle to a higher height and a pillar will lower nearby where you can insert a second chip, but those aren't the secrets. The secret is that after inserting the first chip two rock pillars change their heights so you can jump from the arena to the bleachers where the S'pht are watching. To the right is a room with rechargers; the red recharger is actually a 3X recharger. To the left there are three doors that lead to the room in which an insertion chip teleports in along the north-east wall somewhere. Following the hallways eventually leads you down staircases to the exit room. In the exit room there is a terminal hidden behind a wall; this was meant to be the exit terminal. There is also a side room with fake lava and a mural of a S'pht Compiler. Where the S'pht's "bolt orb" would be located is a switch; it's supposed to be covered by a white texture but when I tested it in AlephOne the texture wasn't there. Anyway, you can get up to that switch and punch or toggle it. This will activate an elevator in the exit room that takes you back to the arena, and it also activates some secret stairs on a north staircase. This secret room was meant to lead to a secret level. The end.
Anyway, enjoy what you can of it.

Sorry for no pictures. I'll try and get some up tomorrow.

[attachment=5725:Boxing_Map.zip]
Attachments
Boxing_Map.zip
(100.75 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Last edited by philtron on Aug 23rd '12, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, it's not very good (partially due to the fact that it hasn't been converted) but it seems very promising to me. I really like the shading for some reason; dark with splashes of light. Reminded me of Ne Cede Malis. Ryokoâ?¢ will probably come in here and tell you a million reasons why it's all wrong, and he'll probably be right about it, but I actually thought it wasn't bad. Good even.

That one main area doesn't fit, though, with all the tics and the S'pht and the lava. Also, the recharger thing was dumb and your map had little to no point. I'm assuming it would've worked better had the terminals worked.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This map was really cool to look at and I would love to see you try to cobble together something real for the scenario contest, even if it was really short. The pieces for the most part came together quite nicely.

Obviously the concept was dumb but you're aware of that. ;)
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:you try to cobble together something real for the scenario contest
this. I really want to see something real from you, because this map was definitely really good for something just thrown together.
Last edited by gmanyo on Aug 16th '12, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
$lave
Vidmaster

I loved the dream-like room with all the terminals at various heights on the walls. The map had rough spots of course, but I'm sure if you wanted to keep mapping you could output some pretty great stuff.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo wrote:I'm assuming it would've worked better had the terminals worked.
Yeah, the scenario idea was just an excuse to write funny terminals and make interesting set pieces.
RyokoTK wrote:Obviously the concept was dumb but you're aware of that. ;)
Whatever, you're just jealous that you never came up with the idea of making an FPS mod that replaced the shooting with tedious punching confined to a small area above a lava pit.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the good parts of the map. My iBook is out of commission, I got half a map done before the cord fried, but I'll try and get three maps finished for the contest.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

skraeling wrote:My iBook is out of commission, I got half a map done before the cord fried, but I'll try and get three maps finished for the contest.
You don't need an old computer to map, you know. We have new editors.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

No doubt, but I'm used to forge and like an old codger I prefer sticking to what I'm familiar with. I've been sketching out as much of the maps as possible using old fashioned pen and paper, working on progression, flow, and layout. I'll probably throw down polygons in Weland and texture things in Forge because I just can't get used to Visual Mode LUA. I also prefer to use Forge because I like switching between Draw and Visual mode very quickly; I'm bad at mentally estimating physical spaces, so if I make a 4wu by 3wu room I can't visualize it and I need to jump to visual mode to see if these are the right proportions and sizes.