Paradise Lost XVI

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
treellama
Vidmaster

It's a waste of time to rate maps, the ratings go away as soon as the author updates. That's why I won't rate anything.
Switch
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:It's a waste of time to rate maps, the ratings go away as soon as the author updates. That's why I won't rate anything.
Thanks for the suggestion? So everybody thinks ratings should not clear with each version?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote:Thanks for the suggestion? So everybody thinks ratings should not clear with each version?
What? The only time a rating should be cleared is if someone updates their own rating. That way there will only be one rating for each person. But old ratings should stick around after a file update...
irons
Vidmaster

I'd say the rating on the front-page (or wherever the file is listed with other files, such as in a search or tag group) should have an average of all versions' ratings. Then, on the individual file page, perhaps two ratings: "All-time" and "Current version." I think that if a mapper manages to improve his map in the latest version, there should be a quick way to show that such a version has a good average. With the dual-rating system, it would be possible for people who still agree with their old ratings to remain silent, letting it contribute to the overall rank, but if a big change has occurred, the applause (or hatred) won't be muted under the weight of a larger pool.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I'm requesting a .5 star rating. (Select half of a star) Ex: 3.5, 4.5, ect.
Can't speel for hist.
Switch
Vidmaster

Lets not get off topic, can yall repost this simplici7y stuff over here?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Looks like I'm opening this one up again.

While my creative juices are still (somewhat) flowing, I'm taking another crack at this pack. The goals for the next version are as follows:

1) Three new maps, for a total of ten. I'm already at nine: Hydro City is the eighth, and a map originally in TGI:B that I just finished retexturing is the ninth. See below for more info. The tenth map will also most likely be a retexture from TGIB -- and it will probably be Fortress Morrolan, but that might change.
2) New/updated texturing jobs for the following maps: Darkest Insurrection, to give it a bit more life; Acid Rain, to make it less hideously ugly; and SCB, to make it more lively and brighter.
3) Miscellaneous tweaks, twists, and touch-ups across the pack.

For a fresh offering, I bring you Hourglass, which is a retextured and reoutfitted version of Eighth Street Grill.

I figure I can get away with taking maps from TGIB since no one will play that for the multiplayer anyway.

EDIT 1 (8/5): A major dead-end on Hourglass was rectified. Hourglass is a pretty entertaining little map, too -- a bit big for a duel, but 5 people fit comfortably on it and it was pretty action-packed. I wouldn't go higher than 6 though.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:While my creative juices are still (somewhat) flowing
So, you're passing this off as 'creative'? I guess I don't even need to get it to know how good it is.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Aug 6th '08, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is Hydro City again, just for completion's sake.

And this is Hourglass.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The tenth and final map, Metropolis Part I, is good to go. Like A History of the World, there is no part II. This is also a retexture of a new TGIB netmap.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Pictured below is Fatal Tragedy. This is the 11th map, and one that I'm actually pretty proud of. It was a real hassle to make; I had to prune nearly 100 polygons because of substantial frame rate drops when looking across the map.

The map is great for EMFH, but also surprisingly good for Last Man on the Hill. Because the hill is on one side of the map, rather than the center, it would probably work poorly for real KOTH.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Awesome, this is my favourite map yet! Thanks, Ryoko.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Behold, the map no one asked for, retextured from TGIB: Fortress Morrolan! It seems to play much better than the original map. You can download it from Paradise Lost VII, which also includes Fatal Tragedy as well as several other tweaks (including a necessary visual simplification for Hydro City).

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Simplici7y is down. Would you post Paradise Lost here please?
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nevermind, Simplici7y is up again.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

One more update for Paradise Lost! As usual, grab it from Simplici7y.

This update has one "new" map and a slew of bug fixes and tweaks.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is map fourteen, Sevil Alucard. This is a very loose remake of the Red Spectrum map Molten Core, to the point that it's more an adaptation of the original idea, kind of like how Fatal Tragedy is an adaptation of the original idea behind Grave Danger.

Seems I've been doing a lot of remakes and such lately. Oh well.

EDIT: Caution, this map is quite large. Needs at least 6 for EMFH.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
Inguinal Falx
Born on Board

This is a great map. I wouldn't even call it a remake because gameplay is completely different than that on Molten Core. We played today with 4 and 6 players and it was somewhat hard to find people. Despite its size, we managed a lot of suicides which might be attributable to getting used to a map we've not seen before. Didn't see much action in the internal rooms but the mid-level rim, the arena, and the back loop of the ground floor saw plenty of carnage.

Looking forward to getting 8 players on this one.
Last edited by Inguinal Falx on Nov 6th '08, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Because I have no social life, I'm also free to make a second, smaller level on the same day. This is Polaris, a more fast-paced run-and-gun sort of level.

This is the first time I've used the abhorrent "moon" landscape texture in about four years.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Paradise Lost IX is here. It includes Polaris and Sevil Alucard, as well as hammering out some small issues on Darkest Insurrection, Dance of Pales, and Hourglass, as well as a couple other minor issues.

Changes between the beta versions of Polaris and Sevil Alucard:
- For Polaris, turning ledges that look like lifts into actual lifts; fixed a nasty sticky spot; marked the lifts with red textures and flashing lights rather than dull static yellow.
- For Sevil Alucard, removing the Alien Weapons and a problematic spawn point.

As of posting this it's 9:38 PM central time. If you downloaded a version of PL9 earlier than this, download it again -- the first upload had some major untextured sides on Polaris.

I am looking for more small bugs to iron out. Notches that really look like they should be lifts, spots that look like teleporters, sticky spots, bad spawns, jumps you can't quite make, and so on. If you know of any, post them with some kind of reference (screenshot, polygon number, something like that) and I will try to fix them by the next update.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 7th '08, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is map number 16, Biohazard. It's a very small arena; think of maps like Fallout.

I was going for the same kind of general color habit that I used for Polaris: simple, muted tones highlighted with one or two primary colors. In this case, white, gray, and beige are splashed with red to give the place what I think is a sort of chilly medical feel. If that makes sense.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:This is map number 16, Biohazard. It's a very small arena; think of maps like Fallout.
This map rocks. How do you churn out so many in such a short time?
Embrace imagination.
gyffes
Born on Board

Mapiot Savant.

chinkeeyong wrote:This map rocks. How do you churn out so many in such a short time?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is map 17, Killer Instinct. It's big. It's brown. It's a rocket box. I don't have any original ideas anymore. I have a feeling that it'll be a good KOTH map, kind of like Pagan Purity, but it should also be an acceptable EMFH map. It feels a little smaller than it actually is, I think, so you might want to go with 6 people rather than 8. Who knows.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 16th '08, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.