Forge Problem

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Nobody
Born on Board

Here's the situation: I'm running Forge 1.0.4 on Basilisk II. I'm following the Forge section of the Marathon Infinity manual. I complete the first tutorial, which is just a two-poly room with a Player object and textures. I try to save, and everything looks fine. Later I tried to open the map, but all that opens opens a totally blank map. I've tried making several different sized maps with various features, but when I go to open them, they all open blank. What gives?

Also, thanks for giving me a minute of your time, and any help will be greatly appreciated.
$lave
Vidmaster

Maybe forge is corrupt... this sounds like more of a problem with your emulator though, maybe it should go in editors, emulation etc.?

Sorry, can't help you.. you're sure you're going to file>save, and after you made the map? [spnkr]
Nobody
Born on Board

$lave wrote:Maybe forge is corrupt... this sounds like more of a problem with your emulator though, maybe it should go in editors, emulation etc.?
Hmm... tried reinstalling Forge to no avail. I doubt it's being caused by the emolator, though, since it can do everything else fine. Just FYI, its emulating Mac OS 7.5.5.
Sorry, can't help you.. you're sure you're going to file>save, and after you made the map? [spnkr]
Yeah [MErr] Thanks for the advice, though.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know if this will help with the problem you're having, but Forge 1.0.4 doesn't work well with Basilisk II. You should try Forge 1.0.1
Zott
Vidmaster

but all that opens opens a totally blank map.
Could you describe this a little bit.

Is this like smearing textures and items/monsters present.

Or untextured walls and items are missing?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
CryoS
Vidmaster

its like opening a new map thus you opened a saved map
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Nobody
Born on Board

Thanks for the advice, but Forge 1.0.1 has the same problem.
Could you describe this a little bit.
Like when you start Forge and choose New Level.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so let me clarify; I build a 2-poly room, fill the polys, create a player object, enter visual mode, texture the walls, and save. I exit Forge, run it again, open the map, and it's blank. I've tried creating more complex and simplistic maps, but it always comes up blank.

EDIT: I can open files E00.Ne Cede Malis, E02. Poor Yorick, E06. Acme Station, and N33. Duality from a file called "Demo Merge". Where'd this come from. . .? So maybe Basilisk can't write info but can only read it for some reason. . .I'm gonna go test out this idea. . . Nope, can write text docs & such. I'm stumped. [MFrown]
Last edited by Nobody on Feb 6th '08, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Nobody wrote:Thanks for the advice, but Forge 1.0.1 has the same problem.
I exit Forge, run it again, open the map, and it's blank.
Is draw mode blank, or is visual mode blank?
Nobody wrote:from a file called "Demo Merge". Where'd this come from. . .?
That folder is inside the forge folder with the Forge application.
Last edited by The Thug on Feb 6th '08, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Nobody
Born on Board

Draw mode' blank. But I can't go into visual without a player object, can I?
The Thug
Vidmaster

Correct. Are you mapping in the initial mapping window or scrolling to the outer parts of the mapping area? If you don't map in the center portion of the map, when you open it up again, it won't show your map in the initial window. You'll have to scroll to where it was the last time. Does that make sense?
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Nobody
Born on Board

Yeah, it makes sense. I'm mapping dead center of the inial mapping window.
jbosmans

Remembering from the old days, Forge v1.0.2 (or was it 1.0.1) was the last stable version usable on 68k CPU's (so not PowerPC).
I don't know if you're emulating a PowerPC (but I think not with BasiliskII).
The latter version had at least a very annoying bug with heights (they show up as floating point numbers around 1.x or 2.x instead of the proper ticks aka 1024, 2048 etc)

Another thing you might want if you're developing maps on a 68k mac is Ignore Zero Divides, this keeps your Mac (or BasiliskII) from crashing when there's a divide by zero instruction, as they're well known to happen when you're making maps with Pfhorte 2.0a14 and even Forge iirc. Might also be a good idea to increase the default assigned memory to the editors (select the app and choose Get Info).

My 2ç