Elevators

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Alan
Cyborg

How do I make elevators that stay at the top of their height when the player is standing on them and when he steps off the elevator comes down?
Ignorance creates the deluded.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Elevators do not work that way!

Goodnight!
$lave

First, set the platform to deactivate "At each level". Then, make the polys around the top of the platform (wherever you could get off the platform) set to "Platform Trigger", and make sure they activate the right platform.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

That plan has some side-effects:

1) If approaching from the top, it will trigger the platform. Most likely, you'd then board it while the platform is ascending -- but then it would stick at the top, which would be unhelpful if the elevator were positioned in a shaft.

2) It would be wonky when multiple people were trying to interact with the platform at once, especially if someone was trying to go down while someone else was on the way up.

3) A player dying on the platform would get everything out of whack, leaving the elevator stuck at the top until someone fixed it by approaching from the top.

That would work, but it would be impractical unless applied in a very limited and deliberate fashion.
$lave

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily work WELL, but it's the only way I know of doing it. If you mess around with the map geometry, though, you could probably make it work pretty well. Maybe have the platform start extended, and have a switch activating it, so you can then board it, and when you get off at the top it comes back down. This way, even if you die and need to return to that spot while it's extended, you need to flip the switch anyway. The problem with this, is that you have absolutely no reason to have the platform go back down again, anyway.

I'd just set a delay on the platform (I generally use around 0.6 or 0.7 seconds) so that it's going to be going down by the time the player gets off it, anyway. In solo maps you can use longer delays, just don't make it TOO long.

EDIT:

Here's a DEMO MAP! Showing you how to do it!
Attachments
DEMO_MAP.zip
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Last edited by $lave on Jul 4th '08, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Cyborg

I'm making a map with a hundreds of elevators next to each other in a box shape. Is there anyway to speed up this process?[attachment=1723:untitled.JPG]
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (184.42 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Alan
Cyborg

Stop what, and why?
Last edited by Alan on Jul 10th '08, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

You could write your own Chisel plugin, I suppose. I don't know of an existing one that will do that. Remember, Forge will stop at 64 platforms or 1024 polygons, whichever it reaches first. Also consider that a helical grid makes for a more natural look, depending on what you're trying to do.

If you ever finish your giant grid, and get them all filled in and textured, I might be interested in the map. I've had an idea for something involving lua...
Alan
Cyborg

64 platforms... is there anyway to increase that?

...[/quote]

^
Wow... that post is useless.
DeepThought
Cyborg

Alan wrote:64 platforms... is there anyway to increase that?
^
Wow... that post is useless.
In aleph one, there is no limit (as far as I know). Use an application like pfhorge to make more platforms.
I'm making a map with a hundreds of elevators next to each other in a box shape. Is there anyway to speed up this process?
EDIT: Why the hell are you making a map like that??? But if you really must know, fill in all the polygons, go to polygon types and fill them all as platforms. Then adjust the setings for one of the platforms. Then for the other platforms, base it off of the one you just edited with the "based on" drop down.
Last edited by DeepThought on Jul 10th '08, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
treellama
Vidmaster

DeepThought wrote:Why the hell are you making a map like that???
If you can't make a good map, the only way to get attention is to make a terrible one that crashes the engine.

Don't bother to reply, Alancacnter, I figured out how to set this board to ignore your worthless posts.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Wow, looking at it again I realized those are 1/4 WU squares. As in, too small for the player to fit on an individual platform. It's difficult to imagine why anyone would need that level of detail. What are you trying to do? I suspect there's an easier way, whatever it is.
Alan
Cyborg

I'm trying to make all the elevators go up in a certain pattern every once in a while. For example, have any of you people seen a small square with flat tipped nails inside of the box that are all equally aligned and are standing straight up? And when you put your hand in the box, the nail form the shape of your hand? I'm trying to do something like that. Except it won't look like a hand. It will look like someone is poking at it.

It looks like this[attachment=1724:Well_the...ou_go....JPG]
Attachments
Well_there_you_go....JPG
Well_there_you_go....JPG (138.17 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

In that case, you can cut down on the number of polygons by only using what you need to make a "poking" shape. If you want a regular, rounded hill shape, all you need are polygons which form concentric circles. But there's still no reason to to make the polygons 1/4 WU wide. It's not going to look pretty no matter how many polygons you use (it will still look like a staircase, not smooth). So you might as well save yourself time and make your polygons wider, say 1 WU wide.
Alan
Cyborg

Is there anyway to make 400 platforms in a map?
megabyte
Vidmaster

Last edited by megabyte on Jul 11th '08, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Zott
Vidmaster

I'm making a map with a hundreds of elevators next to each other in a box shape.
My God, so many squares. You must mean thousands. Each blue square is 16 1/4' squares in the grid and since you have more than 6 that is clearly in the thousands range. Even when I was trying to make a map like this, I wasn't crazy/persistent enough to build on the 1/4 SQs, that is lunacy! You are a daring soul.

Though I like the idea of the shapes in the platforms. I know of the device you are talking about that with the nails. It would certainly be interesting to watch in the Marathon engine, though the timing will be hell, and i'm not quite sure if you would be able to do more than one shape on the grid.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Alan
Cyborg

lol...daring Soul. That sounds almost as good as legendary. There should be about... 4,356 elevators. Anyhoo... so Forge can only make 64 platforms, and pfhorge has no limit? If so... can anyone help me?

Edit: Here is my progress so far.[attachment=1733:untitled.JPG]
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (205.27 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Last edited by Alan on Jul 11th '08, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm entertained. Are you entertained?
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
The Thug
Vidmaster

Longinus wrote:I'm entertained. Are you entertained?
Yes. In fact I'm very entertained.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
$lave

This topic causes me a lot of pain :(
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Alan wrote:lol...daring Soul. That sounds almost as good as legendary. There should be about... 4,356 elevators. Anyhoo... so Forge can only make 64 platforms, and pfhorge has no limit? If so... can anyone help me?
Edit: Here is my progress so far. [deez nuuts]
Make sure you don't hit 1024 polygons. According to Ryoko, the poly limit can feast on a dick. Pfhorge can surpass this as well, but it can't texture them. And forge probably couldn't texture them either.