Power Drive

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Get it from Simplici7y.com!

UPDATE 8/11/10: Four new maps brings the total to 12.

Power Drive is a new sort of experimental map pack concept with the intention of bringing a new style of gameplay to the fore. It currently has 8 maps.

The point of Power Drive is to take the emphasis off of the typical rocket launcher/shotgun map style and attempts to bring forward the assault rifle, SMG, and other assorted "weaker" weapons. To that end, there is a merged physics file in each map that subtly changes around damage values and accuracy for those weaker weapons. The key word here is subtle; aside from faster weapon switching, the handle of the weapons is basically unchanged.

Here are the current changes to the weapons:
Fists: unchanged
Pistols: more damage (average 24 increased to 35)
Fusion: faster-moving projectiles and more damage
Assault Rifle: bullets are substantially more accurate but damage is unchanged; grenades have a much larger explosion area
Shotgun: less accurate and less powerful (average 220 decreased to 200) -- this is the only weapon that's weaker, but it's still pretty powerful
Alien Weapon: more powerful (average 24 increased to 30); weapon always holds 100 shots
Missile Launcher: less damage (average 275 decreased to 225)
Flamethrower: unchanged
SMG: more accurate and more powerful (average 12 increased to 13.5)
All: weapon switch time is 5 ticks, regardless of weapon (as opposed to anywhere from 7 for the fists to 30 for the flamethrower/rockets)

Maps are currently designed with these fundamentals in mind:
- Everyone starts with one of the "weaker" weapons -- typically the SMG or AR
- The power weapons (missiles and shotguns) are rare and often positioned in certain locations
- Ammo is decreased for those weapons as well, making them more of a powerup and diminishing dependency on them
- Maps have a combination of open main battlegrounds and peripheral spaces with cover, as well as more sniper ledges, to accommodate multiple playing styles

1. Mjollnir 13

This is a smaller arena map, best suited for 2-3 people. 4 might get a little cramped. Focus is on the SMG. Take cover in the side rooms. This one isn't my favorite.

2. Axiom

This is a medium-sized map with two main rooms. Focus is on the SMG and long-range combat, but the AR and shotguns are practical for close combat. One of them is empty, but the other one has several crates for cover. Several sniper places are around the outside, but it's more productive to jump into the pits to finish kills. Take cover underneath the central bridge. This one is fun for 4-5 people, and accommodates multiple playing styles.

3. Cenotaph

This is a larger and more chaotic map, with the focus on the assault rifle, though there are several SMGs as well. A combination of a broad open ring and several buildings to duck into makes this map fairly dynamic. There is only one rocket launcher in the central tower; even though there's no ammo, beware of attacks from above. Many sniper places as well keep players on their toes as attackers can come from multiple directions. Don't be afraid to go outside to finish kills off -- most of the guns are out there.

4. Persepolis

This is a larger map that attempts a sort of city environment. You start with the assault rifle, but finding an SMG is key for some of the long-distance shootouts you may get into. Take cover in the alleyways and find sniper posts to launch attacks. Good for bigger groups.

5. Xanadu

A middle-sized map with a more pronounced vertical element. Focus is on the SMG; there's plenty of cover and a good number of places to hide and elude your enemies.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 11th '10, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

I like these maps much more than the recent additions to Paradise Lost (except Fatal Tragedy). However, the amount of fun I've had on them seems to really depend on who else playing. There were some very intense three player chases with people using cover and flanking each other. Other times, I've had boring games where everyone runs to the middle of the open areas because of the reduced risk of rocket suicide and multi-kills. I've never seen such concentrated fighting outside of a KOTH match. The closest I can compare it to is Darkest Insurrection, which is not a favorite of mine.

It would still be great to see more maps in this direction. It would also be nice if the physics were just included as a separate file, but I suppose some people would probably forget to enable them.
Image Image
Major Pedro
Cyborg

I haven't downloaded these maps, but they look really good. The idea is excellent, and I support it, because the few times I've played A1 online it's been "BANG" with a rocket and oh, I'm dead. Also it will probably shift the focus of the game from 'bigger guns' to tactics and good aiming.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:Congrats on releasing your 114th mappack, Ryoko! I'm sure it'll be great/set a new standard or something.
What's wrong with releasing lots of works? Haydn wrote over 100 symphonies, few of which really seemed to bring much new to the table :P.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Interesting concept. With your track record, I'll be sure to check it out.
Embrace imagination.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:What's wrong with releasing lots of works? Haydn wrote over 100 symphonies, few of which really seemed to bring much new to the table :P.
I never said it was bad, I was just poking fun. :)
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Up to 5 maps now!
localwarming
Cyborg

Power Drive has an interesting concept, and some real merit I think is worth exploring. There isn't a whole lot to say that hasn't been already. Yes, the maps do suffer visually for their adherence to a certain form of gameplay. Mjollnir 13, for example, often seems flat and dead end-prone. However, I do have a certain affection for the underdog weapons, so it's nice to see more use out of them. The AR in particular seems to be of more use here than on previous map packs that come to mind. Seeing as how it is one of the most fun weapons to use, this is a welcome change. I like the design style of Cenotaph and Xanadu, although flow is somewhat less than perfect. The tall, angular city look is atypical of Marathon netmaps, and feels fresh. Persepolis was my favorite of the bunch, visually and play-wise. My final verdict lies somewhere between appreciating the philosophy and comparing them to what I am already familiar with. When set next to the modern A1 netmaps, they look good, but not as good.

Still, I can't drop the habit of more than often cycling through my weapons expecting to turn up shotguns and rockets loaded with plenty of ammo. I suppose this could be more my own fault than that of the maps.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I really want to see someone's definition of "perfect flow" one of these days.
Yes, the maps do suffer visually for their adherence to a certain form of gameplay.
I actually think some of the maps are rather elegant in their (relative) simplicity. The main body of most maps in Power Drive so far is drawn on a fairly large grid size (at least 0.5 WU), but despite that I think they avoid looking unrefined or clunky. Paradise Lost is more baroque; Power Drive is modernist.

But yes, there is also a gameplay element. With bullet weapons taking the fore, and with them being more accurate, there needs to be a greater focus on cover and concealed spaces since you can't rely on simply long distance to avoid taking damage.
The tall, angular city look is atypical of Marathon netmaps, and feels fresh.
The angular feel comes from, again, using the large grid size. However, the tallness comes from a greater focus on a player's ability to maneuver, ambush, and camp. (Yeah, the c-word.) Taking a sniper post in a good position on a map is going to allow you to use the enhanced SMG to the best effect -- what's the point of it having better range if you never use it from a long distance? So the better maps probably are going to be tall. Mjollnir 13 is probably the weakest map in the pack, and a big reason for that could be because it's not tall. Axiom has big flat spaces too, but also plenty of elevations to work with on the periphery.
I like the design style of Cenotaph and Xanadu, although flow is somewhat less than perfect.
What exactly do you mean by this? I had a lot to say, but I decided against chewing your head off over what I'm sure is a fairly innocent comment.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I think he's simply referring to the fact that you can't have "perfect flow" without the extra half dimension in the alephone engine. It's not your fault.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Damn, I really need to play games with that last 0.5 D
jones
Born on Board

I really want to see someone's definition of "perfect flow" one of these days.
Perfect Flow: existing only in the imagination or fancy; not real; of undetermined or indefinitely great extent or amount; measureless.

I really do think maps are somewhat over analyzed - they either work or they don't. The good ones keep getting played, the others fall by the wayside. For me, if the same map gives both a good duel and good multiplayer carnage then it's fine by me.

The refreshing thing about Power Drive is the use of hide and cover which in my opinion always brings another dimension to game play - be it half a dimension or more.

Back in the late 90's a group of us created a sniper rifle and modified Thrud with an infravision power-up appearing on the hill, the result being a camptastic game of stealth - not everyone's cup of tea, but fun once in a while and another .5 of a dimension to the usual.
Squire Jones
Elderberry Hall
Quaint Lane
Merry Ol'England
WotWotWot

Yes, I am diluted
localwarming
Cyborg

I have to rescind a bit of what I said earlier. I want to keep my head where it is now: firmly on my shoulders. Today I got to spend a longer amount of times on netplay with these maps, with a hot connection no less. Not only do I now appreciate the focus on a different form of gameplay, the embedded physics come off as a subtle enhancement. The problem with most physics changes that I've seen is the desire to make big, drastic changes. The SMG is a force to be reckoned with, the AR's rounds are now actually useful at mid-range, and even the pistol is dangerous as a last resort.

Cenotaph is now my favorite of the bunch, and consistently produced the wildest games. Xanadu was the best example of 'rocket launcher as power up,' Persepolis is the best looking, and Axiom is the best for duck and cover play. Mjollnir 13 was fun as well, but just feels like a misfire in comparison with the other maps in Power Drive. The thing that struck me the most was the carnage reporter coming back with a variety of weapons responsible for each kill. Kind of a relief from nothing but rockets and shotties.

I also see I took a bit of flak for my unfortunate "flow" comment. I'm now not exactly sure where I got that from. I'll take it back in hopes of not becoming a complete social outcast, and hopefully my salty crocodile tears will cease to flow.
Last edited by localwarming on Oct 24th '08, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It wasn't flak, I wanted a real answer.
gyffes
Born on Board

While I can't speak to the "flow" question, I have to say I really like this pack -- esp Xanadu and Persepolis, although I tend to get toasted quite oft in the latter (not enough cover, I think, for my needs).

What I've noticed is that the usual victor is not always winning in our in-house games. The absence/lessening of rockets/shotties has slightly evened the scores more. The usual victor, an Halo emigre', prefers open confrontations. These maps, esp Xanadu and the [M]-that-plays-like-an-[L] Axiom, really reward the shoot an' scoot style I prefer.

So, yes, they lack PL's flash (we do tend to duck back out to roll through Fatal Tragedy after a few rounds of PD), but that's more than compensated for by the revitalized enjoyment we're finding in adjusting to the different parameters. And occasionally winning. My applause and thanks.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Why do I read this board
it's called "curse".
treellama
Vidmaster

gyffes wrote:What I've noticed is that the usual victor is not always winning in our in-house games. The absence/lessening of rockets/shotties has slightly evened the scores more. The usual victor, an Halo emigre', prefers open confrontations. These maps, esp Xanadu and the [M]-that-plays-like-an-[L] Axiom, really reward the shoot an' scoot style I prefer.
You mean vulture-and-hide. No wonder you win you little baby.
Iritscen
Cyborg

You mean follow-more-realistic-combat-strategy.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

You mean follow-more-realistic-combat-strategy.
Because Marathon strives for realistic combat.
treellama
Vidmaster

If I wanted to play hide and seek I'd enroll in preschool.

Or play Counterstrike.
Last edited by treellama on Oct 30th '08, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Because Marathon strives for realistic combat.
[attachment=2168:qoou.anim.gif]
Attachments
qoou.anim.gif
qoou.anim.gif (685.04 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

After nearly two years of nothing, I've updated this pack. It includes the two MMR maps $lave and I made some time ago and a retexture of a Phoenix map, and a physics tweak.

Check it out~~~.

6. Spellbreaker
Small map; more focused on tight spaces and fast reflexes.

7. Lost World
Used to be Arrakeen. More rocket/shotty centric, but with lots of opportunity for the SMG/AR advantage too.

8. Vertigo
'Nuff said.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:and a physics tweak.
What specifically did you change?
"My advise: V" - g pack