Polyplicity

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Polyplicity is my newest map-pack, with only one map so far- First Terminus. This time, I tried to veer away from extraneous corridors, flagrant dead ends, and net-maps based on a natural environment as a whole. I've used custom textures in this, and until I can make Atque merge the shapes file with the map (I've done it the same way as Paradise Lost- do I need the "gear.mml" thing to get the shapes to merge with the map?), you'll have to select the shapes file that come with the map to avoid huge migraines. It's a very small, sweet map, for no more than four players. Enjoy; it's open to criticism.

Should I put this up on Simplici7y, or should I wait until I can safely call it a map-pack? Once I've got the feedback on this one, I'll start work on my next Polyplicity map- Red Dragonfly.
Attachments
First_Terminus.zip
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Dugit on Feb 17th '10, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
ray
Cyborg

i just hope you can make names as hilarious as "zircons of zeal" was
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

ray wrote:i just hope you can make names as hilarious as "zircons of zeal" was
What the hell does that even mean, anyway? I don't think it's very funny, I mean, since when does zircon have zeal? Zeal for what? It's a stone. I might as well make up something like artificial beryl of babbittry or something. Ray, with my luck you're probably a mineralogist or something and will hate me for telling you this, but otherwise I really do think you need to find something to do with yourself, because if you are amused by this, I'm not sure if you're all there inside your head right now.

On the other hand, first Terminus sounds pretty bland, I gotta say. At first I misread it as "Fist Terminus", and thought that it was some kind of thing involving a brutal bloodbath at the last stop on an old freight line, where hobos would finally realize that their lives are merely some kind of cruel joke, and take out their previously tempered hobo rage on each other. Dugit, why can't you realize my dreams of all out hobo melee? Why do you have to bring everyone down with your attempts to make up weird titles that try to confuse everyone?
Dugit
Vidmaster

I tried to do a Paradise Lost-esque title, but I see it didn't turn out really quite well.

What about the map itself? Good? Better than anything from Minerality?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:I tried to do a Paradise Lost-esque title, but I see it didn't turn out really quite well.

What about the map itself? Good? Better than anything from Minerality?
Ah, sorry, I forgot to download it and actually try it before saying anything.

Wait a moment.

EDIT:

Okay, so it looks fairly decent, I guess. Not like I really care about netmaps enough to carry myself as if I'm some kind of sommelier or something. I thought the little scene with the troopers and the stick guy was cute.

That's it, really.

I have to go back to making MPDX now, so I can feel important, like anything that I do matters.
Last edited by Kurinn on Feb 17th '10, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I tried to do a Paradise Lost-esque title
Most Paradise Lost maps are named after songs, books, fictional locations, etc. I only really made up a handful of them. Certainly I hope no PL map names are as stupid as "Zircons of Zeal."

Addressing the shapes thing: Atque requires you to use shapes patches, not shapes files. Anvil can make these with ease. The extension for a shapes patch is .ShPa (as opposed to a shapes file, which is .shpA), which is a little confusing but there you go. The mml has nothing to do with it.

For the map itself: it seems okay, I guess. Still pretty light on ammo. Your maps are all bigger than you think they are; I would call this "small" at least. The middle of the map is a horrible death trap with no cover whatsoever and relatively few exit points. As usual, your texturing is alright (if a little gray) but your lighting needs a bit more depth to it. There's no glaring problems with it, though.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Hey, thanks. I didn't want to give the spaceship too many glaring textures, and I wanted to keep the metallic feel, so I kept it gray.
instead of [XS]? OK then, I'll fix that for when I put it together with later maps.
What did you like about the texturing? I thought I hit on something cool-looking with those red/green grilles (using what I thought was a blue version of the red/green texture as the grille). They look pretty creepy.
That place in the center is deliberately a death trap. That's why I put a rocket launcher there as protection... or bait.

Thanks. At least I know it's better than what I spat out for Minerality.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:What did you like about the texturing? I thought I hit on something cool-looking with those red/green grilles (using what I thought was a blue version of the red/green texture as the grille). They look pretty creepy.
Nothing particularly stands out, but generally you use them all fairly well. It is a little too gray though.
That place in the center is deliberately a death trap. That's why I put a rocket launcher there as protection... or bait.
Don't do that.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:...
hobo rage
of all out hobo melee

I hope this makes it into MPDX.

Oh...and nice job, Dugit.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

effigy wrote:I hope this makes it into MPDX.
Homeless people in Japan today were office workers yesterday. I'm pretty sure that if you gave those guys a good enough push they'd snap.

But, I don't want to make light of the homeless, just transients who hang around railroads.
goran
Vidmaster

Here is some inspiration if you want to finetune your map name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminus_%28god%29
Dugit
Vidmaster

That was deliberate. It's a pun of sorts "First Terminus" = "First End"?

*ahem* map *ahem*

treellama
Vidmaster

(to the tune of The First Noel)

The First Terminus, the Doo-git did say
Was a metallic map, "So I kept it gray"
Extranious corners, you will find none here
Nor flagrant dead ends nor huge migraines.
Terminus, Terminus, Terminus, Terminus!
It's a very small, sweet map, for no more than four players.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 17th '10, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:Homeless people in Japan today were office workers yesterday. I'm pretty sure that if you gave those guys a good enough push they'd snap.

But, I don't want to make light of the homeless, just transients who hang around railroads.
So no brawls to be witnessed behind the convenience store over a three day old half eaten egg roll? Perhaps it's for the best.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Yes, yes, very good. Would you mind if I put that in the readme for when Polyplicity is released, or in the Simplici7y info box?

Any other comments? I'll start work on Red Dragonfly tomorrow.

ellio7t
Cyborg

Visually you are using the space in a much more interesting manner. Yet you tend to clump details into small tight bundles. This leads to the big flat tile effect on walls. Don't be afraid to use color, basic color can be very powerful when used properly. (not going to talk on use of the same color, its been mentioned)

The flourishes seem extraneous. They are just too sporadic. In a small level it can overload the player visually. Find an idea or two you like and work on those.

Lighting has improved quite a bit, but can be pushed further. You're lighting here is consistent, but not quite dynamic. As a rule of thumb make sure corners have a noticable variance in shading if using the same texture. That is super important to watch concering steps.

Flow is good. Not very interesting, but it works ok. Just one big loop really. Try having tree levels of height to play on. A "bridge" of boxes in the main area would break up the space and give something extra to game play.
words
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

effigy wrote:So no brawls to be witnessed behind the convenience store over a three day old half eaten egg roll? Perhaps it's for the best.
Japanese convenience stores throw shit out way before it's 3 days old. I've heard stories about these places throwing away rice balls after 12 hours! I never dumpster dived one, but I would assume that you could live fairly well if you did.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Sorry to bump, but I hate to leave things unfinished, so I have finally completed Red Dragonfly for Polyplicity. Hey- now it's a map pack. I updated it on Simplici7y. Should I bother with any more maps?

Thanks again guys.

$lave
Vidmaster

If you're going to use custom shapes, you'll need to embed a shapes patch into the map. Even with the shapes file you added, Red Dragonfly was full of untextured areas.

It seemed like you've improved a decent amount with Red Dragonfly, but it was hard to tell with so many untextured areas. If you enjoy making netmaps keep making them, but please stick with infinity shapes for awhile. As far as I could tell your map didn't benefit from the new textures at all, if anything it looked significantly worse because of them.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Could you post the screenshots of the untextured areas?

screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

whenever i see this thread i read it as "polyp-city"

very evocative, poetic even
$lave
Vidmaster

The entire map is filled with large untextured areas such as this:

I'm guessing you did texture these areas, but for whatever reason some of your custom textures aren't showing up.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Oopsy. Wrong shapes file attached. Fixed.
Last edited by Dugit on May 8th '10, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Untextured spaces just show up as transparent for me. Makes for some interesting screenshots.
Attachments
Screen_shot_2010_05_08_at_2.16.53_PM.png
Screen_shot_2010_05_08_at_2.16.53_PM.png (233.18 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
$lave
Vidmaster

A few things I noticed:

This does not look like a staircase, I actually tried turning when I saw this wall because I thought it was a dead end. All you need to do here is fix the lighting to make it clear that these are stairs.

The lighting here is really bland, everything just sort of melts together.

This looks really, really boring. It also looks a bit awkward, since the wall just changes colour for no apparent reason. You could make those two walls into a series of tall rocks or something, and improve the lighting.

For the most part the lighting in the outdoor area is very bland, and I don't like the texturing either. I think you could have done much better just using standard textures, the ones you've added just make the map look messy for the most part. There are also some awkwardly placed details and steep (or invisible) staircases which hurt the flow, but the overall design is an improvement from your older maps. I just think that you're trying to do a bit much right now, before you've really finished learning the basics of netmaps.

Keep trying, I think if you even reworked some of this map, fixing the flow and improving the texturing you could make it into a good netmap.