My first try at mapping

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Skullcleaver
Born on Board

[attachment=3649:testing123_0002.png]
IThis map, testing 1 2 3, is a solo/coop map for marathon infinity.
Comments are welcome.
http://www.simplici7y.com/items/testing-1-2-3
Attachments
testing123_0002.png
testing123_0002.png (639.4 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Last edited by Skullcleaver on Mar 27th '10, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
I LIKE PIE
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Skullcleaver wrote:[attachment=3649:testing123_0002.png]
IThis map, testing 1 2 3, is a solo/coop map for marathon infinity AND IT SUCKS.
Restart from scratch and use squares and rectangles. Turn that grid back on, boy, you'll go far.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

umm, maybe something a bit more constructive is in order.

Play some of your favorite maps from the trilogy or well established scenarios - while you play take note of what makes it fun then take a look at how the levels are laid out in forge. Setting up fun battles does not take an expert map maker's hand and you can focus on that while you get the hang of aesthetics. Try giving enemies the high ground, access to areas that you need to work your way into, changes in elevation and obstacles for cover make both the player's and enemy's job more interesting. Good weapon selection is also key, i suggest designing your battles around the kind of firepower the player is given, based on the picture that fight would get bland fast.
goran
Vidmaster

What kind of comments are you looking for skullcleaver? Anything specific?
Skullcleaver
Born on Board

Goran wrote:What kind of comments are you looking for skullcleaver? Anything specific?
I dont know just what you think of it, and suggestion for me to improve it
I LIKE PIE
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

My best suggestion would be to get going on your second try.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
goran
Vidmaster

To me, this map is like a childrens drawing. I cannot givve it critique, just as I couldn't give a child critique. For this early, it's good, but if you want to get better, I think the best thing for you to do is to continue to make maps. Practice makes perfect.
xilef
Cyborg

My advice is learn your editor, get some grid paper and plan something complex then try to make it.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Skullcleaver wrote:[attachment=3649:testing123_0002.png]
IThis map, testing 1 2 3, is a solo/coop map for marathon infinity.
Comments are welcome.
http://www.simplici7y.com/items/testing-1-2-3
I remember my first map, back when the box set first came out and I got my hands on Forge... boy did that map suck. The only enemies were Ticks and Drones, and the only terminal was on the goddamn ceiling, because I thought it was funny, and I couldn't figure out how to make terminals work anyway. One light, that being 0, for the entire map, too. One door which led to what was essentially a closet. The ticks were kamikazes at least, but still, it sucked. It was nothing more than me playing with Forge, seeing how it worked, I guess.

Then again, I stayed up that entire night playing around with Forge and my map, and all I could think of while playing it was "Wow, I made this!"

Keep it up, is my advice.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

My first map... i swear was better than the old ITS maps- looked like this:
[attachment=3658:MWHshot1.jpg]
My first room- yes i jumped striaight in with custom textures.

But your map anyways.. i agree with Goran's 'Child's Painting' analogy... don't worry, you'll improve a hell of a lot.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:My first map... i swear was better than the old ITS maps- looked like this:
[attachment=3658:MWHshot1.jpg]
My first room- yes i jumped striaight in with custom textures.

But your map anyways.. i agree with Goran's 'Child's Painting' analogy... don't worry, you'll improve a hell of a lot.
This is not a loaded question, but have you ever even released any maps before?
$lave
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:This is not a loaded question, but have you ever even released any maps before?
He released some maps for the ITS demo awhile ago.