*Sniff sniff...* My first map... *Sniff sniff*

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Miak
Cyborg

:)
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Promising... Perhaps a little expansion and more item variety would really make it rock.
"Escape will make me God"
Miak
Cyborg

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Promising... Perhaps a little expansion and more item variety would really make it rock.
I was focusing more on getting the actual polygons right, and get that 'Marathon' map feel, and I think I was pretty successful, for the most part. I will expand it however.

Also, How do you save in Visual lua and create doors in Weland? I completely forgot :/
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

To create a door you click on the polygon you want and a dropdown menu will come up. Select "Platform" from the menu. From there you can tweak the platform settings to your preference. To save in VM.Lua open the console and type .save level "Levelname.sceA"
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Miak
Cyborg

Dis wrote:To create a door you click on the polygon you want and a dropdown menu will come up. Select "Platform" from the menu. From there you can tweak the platform settings to your preference. To save in VM.Lua open the console and type .save level "Levelname.sceA"
Thanks

EDIT: it said there was an error while saving :/
Last edited by Miak on Jun 29th '10, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

no quotes.

.save level Levelname.sceA

It's all in the readme.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
goran
Vidmaster

VisualLua cannot replace an existing file the file you're currently using. Sometimes it is neccessary to save it as another name than the map name.
Last edited by goran on Jun 29th '10, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

You don't need to add .scea, VML will do it for you.
"My advise: V" - g pack
$lave
Vidmaster

G.S.10 wrote:VisualLua cannot replace an existing file. Sometimes it is neccessary to save it as another name than the map name.
Are you sure? I save over map files all the time and I've never had a problem.
goran
Vidmaster

My bad. What I meant to say was that VML can't save over the map you're playing on. For exaample, if I launch MapX.sceA with VML and try to save it as MapX.sceA I will get an error message.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Really? I always save as exactly the same name. It might be that for me it just saves in a different place.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Certainly works for me, though it sounds like something that would produce an error.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

Drictelt
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Really? I always save as exactly the same name. It might be that for me it just saves in a different place.
That might be it, yes.
goran
Vidmaster

Do you guys open the mapfile VML have saved and continue to map on it with weland? I switch a lot between weland and VMl without moving my maps. Keep em all in the preferences folder.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

What I do is I place the map in the AlephOne folder and then load it in environment. Then when it saves it saves in the default location, Prefs\Owner (for me), then I have to go back to environment, switch to a different map so I can delete the one I loaded, then I will move the map I just saved in Prefs where I need it. If I did texture a map and need to make a change in Weland afterward, I always need to reopen the map, make the change, and then save it, otherwise I will lose the textures that I had and I would have to go back and re-texture it.
"My advise: V" - g pack
treellama
Vidmaster

Windows can not for some stupid reason save over a file that is currently open. Mac OS X and Linux have no such problem. This was discussed in the VM.lua thread. I continue to look for ways to close the map file prior to .save level on Windows, because this is the intended behavior, and the way I use it in Linux: keep the map file in .alephone, and edit it with Weland / save it with VM.lua.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Windows can not for some stupid reason save over a file that is currently open. Mac OS X and Linux have no such problem. This was discussed in the VM.lua thread. I continue to look for ways to close the map file prior to .save level on Windows, because this is the intended behavior, and the way I use it in Linux: keep the map file in .alephone, and edit it with Weland / save it with VM.lua.
Thank god I have linux.
"Escape will make me God"
Miak
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Windows can not for some stupid reason save over a file that is currently open. Mac OS X and Linux have no such problem. This was discussed in the VM.lua thread. I continue to look for ways to close the map file prior to .save level on Windows, because this is the intended behavior, and the way I use it in Linux: keep the map file in .alephone, and edit it with Weland / save it with VM.lua.
It's not that annoying, just use the extra save files as backups in case you f*** up the main one.
Miak
Cyborg

UPDATE: The map is 60-70% finished, all I need now is to create a few more areas and texture them, and add some Pfhor. Here's a few pics.

I probably overused that texture set, but in reality it only takes 15 seconds to run through everything in this map :P

EDIT: Forgot a map pic, although most of what I added was just textures:
Last edited by Miak on Jul 3rd '10, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Miak
Cyborg

W wrote:Protip: Do better in the future.
:(
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

What he means to say is your texturing is horrible, your lighting is virtually nonexistent and your architecture is extremely plain.

Miak
Cyborg

Dis wrote:What he means to say is your texturing is horrible, your lighting is virtually nonexistent and your architecture is extremely plain.
I agree, but you don't have to be so blunt about it.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Are you using Visual Mode .lua? If so, try and vary the sets you use. I find that the water, lava, and sewage textures by and large (the latter to a lesser frequency) fit well with each other; you'll have to be the judge where they fit. Also, try experimenting with lights, polygon types and elevations. Maybe try making a net level first.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Netmaps are not necessarily easier than solo maps (on the contrary, I would say). Also, there's no need to mix texture sets. With just the water set you could already add a lot of variety: try to use other textures than just the brown ones and the rocky one. Also, you should keep in mind the visuals when drawing the polygons: e.g. foresee little pieces of wall where you can place columns of light, or so.
You really do need to experiment with lighting.

For a first map, I think this looks really good though. Ten times better than mine anyway.