Wizard of Odd

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I'm attempting to make a map pack and; I wondered if any of my ideas were things that anybody would even like. My brother says that they're crap except for one. I just want some input from any experienced map maker. Heres a pic of the "not crap" one so far.[attachment=4236:Picture_4.png] The main idea of the map is to try to stump you. In the maze there are many teleporters to the "death room" in the upper righthand corner. And only one of them teleport you to the room in the lower lefthand corner, which is the room with the ball (the map is rugby). I hope you can tell that the bases are the ares with the spawn points. The rooms with the many square polygons (234 to be exact) is another "mini-puzzle" containing platforms & elevators all at different heights. There is only one way through it (as far as I know) which includes all the elevators. Thats about it. Please give me your input on this. Thanks
Attachments
Picture_4.png
Picture_4.png (40.85 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

I think it would be easier to tell if we could see the actual map, not just the image in weland. Also, is the grid set to 1wu?
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Yes it is in 1wu. It is not completely done or textured but here are the pics anyway.[attachment=4237:Picture_7.png] [attachment=4239:Picture_5.png]
[attachment=4238:Picture_6.png]
Attachments
Picture_5.png
Picture_5.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 6983 times
Picture_6.png
Picture_6.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6984 times
Picture_7.png
Picture_7.png (259.36 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
treellama
Vidmaster

I will be surprised if you can navigate those checkerboard areas. The Marathon engine really hates parallel lines.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Lol Wind, thanks. As (I hope) you noticed the title of this post is "Wizard of Odd." This is going to be the name of my pack in the sense that my maps aren't bad, just..... odd. I am going to make it easier to navigate by using a "follow the yellow brick road" theme, and texturing some of, if not all of the path yellow, through the room.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

It's... interesting. I have a feeling you're gonna have a hard time with that checkered room, like TL said.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I think complicated mazes requiring trial and error work better in single player maps. In a multiplayer map, you would have cases where some players that have memorized the solution are competing against other players that are figuring it out for the first time. It would be pretty frustrating for the latter group.
Last edited by Crater Creator on Sep 8th '10, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

And what about the players spawning in the same area of the map, every time? Spawnkill!
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

So do you think I should totally abort or keep working on it?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Finish it, for the sake of practice.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

WastdJamacan wrote:Finish it, for the sake of practice.
Honestly, scrap it. I don't think many people in the community will really like it, so move on and try another idea (maybe one that actually lends itself to multiplayer flow and architecture). So don't waste your time completing something no one will like, and try to come up with something better.

But if your intention was to create more of a novelty-oriented map, then go ahead and finish it if you want.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Sep 8th '10, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
ellio7t
Cyborg

it could make for an interesting survival map.
words
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Survival, nah. It would be hard because of the narrow passages. I think I'll take Wind's advice, I don't think I was made to be a mapper.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I suppose none of my other already made maps are very likable. Maybe I should just make a totally clean start, with all new ideas? My other two are very simple. One is a WWI idea with trenches, which would work best with team elim or something. I was thinking about a special physics for it that makes the rockets go faster, as I think it is kind of hard to hit someone aaaaall the way across the map with a rocket launcher. The other one is called "Empty Walls" as a theme that it's just a giant room. But really there are secret doors hidden in the walls which lead to better weapons, etc. I did make a few more, but I thought they felt kind of "empty" as if there wasn't enough stuff.
treellama
Vidmaster

I don't know how to say this with being disrespectful, but those ideas all sound awful. You should get good at imitating everybody else before you worry too much about doing your own thing.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Yeah, thats kinda what I thought.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I'm in doubt. Uh Oh.
coolfusion
Born on Board

Try hard not to kill yourself! [spnkr]
"I am the Nazi in the tank!"
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I would decide if you want to do netmaps or single player maps. If you're doing netmaps, they don't have to be novel. People tend to favor things like good flow, sensible item placement, and clear lighting & texturing in their netmaps more than gimmicks. Because the core gameplay is sound, a perfectly straightforward map can succeed. Even, say, your own take on Thunderdome would do better than a lot of maps.

If you're doing single player maps, that opens the door for more novelties, more slow-paced sections, and requiring more thought or precision to get from the beginning to the end. It's nice to maintain some architectural themes, but not strictly necessary. A linear progression of rooms that are interesting to play in isn't a bad starting point.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

BoBsBrother wrote:Survival, nah. It would be hard because of the narrow passages. I think I'll take Wind's advice, I don't think I was made to be a mapper.
When did I say you weren't made to be a mapper?
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

You didn't, I did. I just said that because my ideas were terribly stupid.
Last edited by BoBsBrother on Sep 13th '10, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I think I might maybe possibly make that one into a quick single player puzzle map. I think also I will focus more on the flow and good texture/weapon placement if I'm going to make netplay maps.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Your map is an interesting concept. I don't think that it's something you should let yourself be discouraged by if it doesn't "work".

The problem I see with mazes and netplay is that the two are like oil and water. The concept of a maze could make sense in a netmap to a certain degree, but making a netmap that is focused on the concept of a maze doesn't allow for the kind of pace that netplay tends to demand. The speed at which people are accustomed to encountering an opponent and engaging them is simply too fast for people to be satisfied while they traverse a maze. Additionally, the engine isn't suited to long-range combat. Most netgames won't even have 8 people in them, so there's less chance of running into someone than you would think. So, larger maps which take more time to traverse turn people off because there isn't enough action.

Anyway, keep on coming up with weird ideas, because eventually something will stick.

Edit:

Self deprecation is worse than failure, so if you do anything, first cut that shit out. Nobody is expected to be good at anything from the outset. Never say anything about yourself you wouldn't want someone else to say about you. Suck it up, and try again, just don't bow your head and hold out your hand waiting for god to take a dump upon it just for the sake of being vindicated in at least one form or another. Even if you fuck it up 1000 times, you have to be ready to fuck up 1001 times and still hold your head up. Never apologize unless you've done something you know was wrong.
Last edited by Kurinn on Sep 10th '10, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Geez, a little harsh at the end are we?