How to make and set up terminals on OS X?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

I'm using Pfhorge (I KNOW I'm not supposed to but Weland just won't work until I figure out why Mono always crashes so I'm stuck with it for a few days at least).

I've got a handle on everything except terminals. Pfhorge has a built in terminal editor, but it only lets me edit the text in the upper left hand corner? (Where it says "Remote Override". I gather the main text of terminals just can't be edited in Pfhorge, so could someone point me to a terminal editor which I can use to edit terminals in Pfhorge-made maps or files? Do you edit the terminals when it's a Pfhorge .lev file or when it's a proper compiled map?
treellama
Vidmaster

Terminals are just text files. Check out the Forge manual for the syntax, and use Atque to merge the levels. No Mono required, Atque is C++ :)
irons
Vidmaster

I think you're opening a whole new can of worms, Treellama.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can Aleph One use text colors other than the ones given in the forge manual, say, using hex values?
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
treellama
Vidmaster

President People wrote:Can Aleph One use text colors other than the ones given in the forge manual, say, using hex values?
Negative.
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Argh
Sorry for all the n00b questions but it seems nothing is as straightforward as it seems at first:
I formatted my terminal text as the Forge manual indicated. Previously this was an end level terminal with no text, so it would simply teleport you immediately on activation.

The original text file was like this:

Code: Select all

;
#TERMINAL 0
#FINISHED
#INTERLEVEL TELEPORT 1
#ENDTERMINAL 0
As per the example in the manual, I changed it to this:

And now I get this message when I try to play the map:

"A system error has occurred when trying to read from your map or saved game file".

This COULD be a problem with my terminal file - but I think it's much more likely due to OS X's irritating policy of creating a .DS_STORE folder in every new folder, containing a list of files. Would this screw up the merger?
Cathunter
Cyborg

hatrickpatrick wrote:I'm using Pfhorge (I KNOW I'm not supposed to but Weland just won't work until I figure out why Mono always crashes so I'm stuck with it for a few days at least).

I've got a handle on everything except terminals. Pfhorge has a built in terminal editor, but it only lets me edit the text in the upper left hand corner? (Where it says "Remote Override". I gather the main text of terminals just can't be edited in Pfhorge, so could someone point me to a terminal editor which I can use to edit terminals in Pfhorge-made maps or files? Do you edit the terminals when it's a Pfhorge .lev file or when it's a proper compiled map?
The Pfhorge terminal editor is simply a means for attaching text files to specific terminals. They can be made in any text editor using the syntax given in the Forge manual, though saving as a text file rather than as a resource. There's no means for editting the files from within Pfhorge.

Cathunter
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Cathunter wrote:The Pfhorge terminal editor is simply a means for attaching text files to specific terminals. They can be made in any text editor using the syntax given in the Forge manual, though saving as a text file rather than as a resource. There's no means for editting the files from within Pfhorge.

Cathunter
So how do you attach a text file? This isn't mentioned in the manual, it seems to suggest that you can edit the text within the application?
Cathunter
Cyborg

hatrickpatrick wrote:Argh
Sorry for all the n00b questions but it seems nothing is as straightforward as it seems at first:
I formatted my terminal text as the Forge manual indicated. Previously this was an end level terminal with no text, so it would simply teleport you immediately on activation.

The original text file was like this:

;
#TERMINAL 0
#FINISHED
#INTERLEVEL TELEPORT 1
#ENDTERMINAL 0
As per the example in the manual, I changed it to this:
And now I get this message when I try to play the map:

"A system error has occurred when trying to read from your map or saved game file".

This COULD be a problem with my terminal file - but I think it's much more likely due to OS X's irritating policy of creating a .DS_STORE folder in every new folder, containing a list of files. Would this screw up the merger?
.DS_STORE isn't the problem, it's part of the directory structure.

Your replacement code is missing from the post... It's more probable there's a problem with Pfhorge compiling the map & text into the final AO map. What are the actual differences between the two compilations?

Cathunter
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Cathunter wrote:.DS_STORE isn't the problem, it's part of the directory structure.

Your replacement code is missing from the post... It's more probable there's a problem with Pfhorge compiling the map & text into the final AO map. What are the actual differences between the two compilations?

Cathunter
Firstly, Pfhorge doesn't compile the map, I export an Aleph One map file from Pfhorge with the blank terminal, tecompile it with Atque, edit the text file, recompile with Atque, and attempt to run the resulting map file in Aleph One which is where I get an error. I get no such error if I export directly from aleph One without decompiling later, but then of course I have a blank terminal.

The modded terminal text file is as follows:

#TERMINAL 0
;L00.Arrival's 1st Terminal
#LOGON 1600
#UNFINISHED
Stop wasting time and destroy those juggernauts! We're counting on you to cripple this battalion beyond repair.
#BRIEFING 1
Well done. That battalion was crucial for defending the gates, and I think the Pfhor will find that they are not so easily replaceable now that we've taken their factory.

There is one more preparation we must make before our final assault. The Pfhor's central defense unit is the computer responsible for monitoring and defending the route to the compound. There is no possibility of survival for any unauthorized personnel attempting to enter the grounds whilst this machine is operational.

I think you know what you have to do.

#LOGOFF 1600
#END
#ENDTERMINAL 0
I based that from the example given in the Forge manual.
(If anyone's wondering about the text, I'm designing a series of maps which is supposed to be a sort of "Assault on a Pfhorge stronghold" type thing where you have to go through a series of steps before you can attack the base. In this particular level, you need to take out 8 juggernauts with the help of some Spht'Kr and some "Tiny Bobs" - apparently Pfhorge can't do normal sized ones! :D
Bit cheesy I know but it is my first map so it's not going to be anything special...
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Eight might be a bit much... Inf juggers never were the funnest enemies to fight.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Dis wrote:Eight might be a bit much... Inf juggers never were the funnest enemies to fight.
hehehehe ;)

I've been testing the level and it is *JUST* possible to do it. You get one invincibility powerup and a few Spht'Kr to help you, but what tends to happen is that by the end of the level you have 2 or 3 juggernauts left with no more remaining backup, and the invincibility runs out at around this time too, so you have to keep running around the outskirts in the level trying to turn quickly enough to fire and then keep moving every now and again. Occasionally your job is made easier by juggernauts accidentally hititing eachother with missiles, but it's still freakin' hard. For a while there I wondered whether it was actually possible at all, but I can now assure you that it is!

It's 2 rows of juggernauts by the way, 4 "Minor" and 4 "Major" juggernauts. I don't think the Major ones were ever actually used in Durandal, were they?

I'll upload the map if anyone's actually interested, but I would like so sort this terminal business first...

If this is just not possible, is there any OTHER utility for OS X which can do the terminals? I can't emulate (Sheepshaver has caused me more headaches than you would believe) so it really has to be an OS X app, if such a thing exists...
treellama
Vidmaster

hatrickpatrick wrote:"A system error has occurred when trying to read from your map or saved game file".
That means you didn't merge it correctly. What does your merge folder layout look like? Atque uses a different layout than Forge / Pfhorge.
Cathunter
Cyborg

hatrickpatrick wrote:Firstly, Pfhorge doesn't compile the map, I export an Aleph One map file from Pfhorge with the blank terminal, tecompile it with Atque, edit the text file, recompile with Atque, and attempt to run the resulting map file in Aleph One which is where I get an error. I get no such error if I export directly from aleph One without decompiling later, but then of course I have a blank terminal.
The problem seems to be with Atque's compiling, which I'm not familiar with. Listen to Treellama's questions and advice.

hatrickpatrick wrote:... and some "Tiny Bobs" - apparently Pfhorge can't do normal sized ones! :D
Pfhorge can create any of the monsters including every Bob. Joshua called them Civilians in the drop-down menu rather than Bobs.

Cathunter
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Ah, I'm an idiot... The reason it wasn't compiling in Atque is because I was selecting the individual level folder instead of the overall decompiled map folder, I've got the map to load now.

Is the terminal file I posted here ok? I am not getting the logon screen with pic 1600 (just the green logo with DURANDAL underneath) but it disconnects immedietely, no text for either unfinished or completed is displayed. The level type is set to "annihilation" so presumably this would mean hat the level is unfinished while there are still juggernauts around and finished once all of them are dead?

Any ideas why the terminal wouldn't be working?

Think I'll keep the tiny bobs for the moment anyway, they're fairly entertaining :D
treellama
Vidmaster

I don't know about your terminal problem, but an extermination level can have up to eight aliens alive and still be considered finished. If you also make it rebellion, then all aliens and civilians must be killed to finish the level. Basically, there's no way to do what you want to do, without Lua, which I submit is going to be far above your current level of experience.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 20th '10, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:I don't know about your terminal problem, but an extermination level can have up to eight aliens alive and still be considered finished. If you also make it rebellion, then all aliens and civilians must be killed to finish the level. Basically, there's no way to do what you want to do, without Lua, which I submit is going to be far above your current level of experience.
Well in that case the terminal should in fact be telling me the level is finished, and it isn't... So there's still a problem with the terminal. It's simply showing me the logon bit and then disconnecting when I try to page down.
Also an easy way to make sure it does in fact work is to make a secret door on a bit of the wall, which is always locked, and behind which are at least 8 aliens :-D I will try this!
Last edited by hatrickpatrick on Sep 20th '10, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

You needn't even connect the aliens' room to the rest of the level.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
hatrickpatrick
Born on Board

Drictelt wrote:You needn't even connect the aliens' room to the rest of the level.
It isn't, but the problem is I still can't even get it to recognize that there are any sections to the terminal except the "LOGON" part. I'm just not sure whether that means the objective isn't set up properly or that the terminal isn't set up properly though...

Does the syntax of the file look ok?
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

hey man,

I'd say the problem is that you're using the #BRIEFING tag. That one is either a hickup in the Forge documentation (cause this is how it used to work in Marathon 1) or I was just never able to get it to work.
In any case: I'd do it like this:

[

]#TERMINAL 0
;comment notes
#UNFINISHED
#LOGON 1600
#INFORMATION
mission in progress...
#LOGOFF 1600
#END

#FINISHED
#INFORMATION
congrats, mission is a complete success!
#LOGOFF 1600
#INTERLEVEL TELEPORT 1
#END
#ENDTERMINAL 0[/[code]]

Also you need to know that #UNFINISHED and #FINISHED are the top level categories for the terminals. Depening on the mission state either the one or the other will be called up (Marathon 1 also had #Failure for the rescue missions :P ). Written text won't get displayed using those tags.
Tags to display text: #INFORMATION, #PICT, #CHECKPOINT, #LOGON, #LOGOFF

Let me know how it works out   [MUp]
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain