Solid walls

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Is there a way to make a line in-between two rooms solid? I double clicked and chose solid, but it won't let me texture it. :( Thanks.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

That just means you can't walk through it. You'd have to apply a transparent texture there. Or, you redraw that line.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
raithe
Cyborg

...or make a rectangle with the lowest ceiling height or highest floor height to make a wall.
Until next time...
RAITHE [Pfhor Military Base AI Ver. 4.2]
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Rats then. I can't redraw it, or I'll lose all the surrounding polygons. I guess I will have to make a rectangle for each section even though I'll gave to go back and place all the weapons again. :(
ellio7t
Cyborg

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong beacuse it is extermely easy. Make sure you check solid and only solid. Then texture as you would a tranparent line.
words
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I did. I think the problem is that it connects two rooms of different heights together and I want it to go all the way to the ceiling of the upper room. :/
ellio7t
Cyborg

Odd, that shouldn't make a difference.
words
ktaur
Born on Board

i'm not certain what you're doing...and even less certain why...but it sounds like the line you've made solid is getting its surfaces 'split up' vertically because of the difference in adjacent heights. Therefore, you've got 3 surfaces to texture, rather than just one. Per the diagram i've included, the blue line in between the two rooms will be the same texture (texture 2) on either side (if it wasn't solid, it would be the space where the player would see into one room while standing in the other). Usually this method of creating a solid line between two rooms is for the purpose of using a transparent 'fence' texture.

Texture 1 is where the ceiling height of the upper room rises above the space. Texture 3 is where the floor of the lower room falls below the floor of the upper room.

If you're having trouble applying the Texture 2, if you're using Visual Mode.lua, go to map mode and hit the trigger key. This sets your texture mode to affect transparent walls. Exit map mode, move right up against the space between the two rooms (so that you're looking perpendicular to the solid line), select your texture, and hit the trigger key. This should place the texture. Before you place any more, go back into map mode and hit the trigger key again to toggle the texture mode back to solid.
Attachments
solid_wall.jpg
solid_wall.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Sorry about all the trouble. I already fixed it.