NEW IMAC

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well...Speaking from my personal point of view...

Cheapest new iMac = $1,200
Custom-built OSX86 capable PC with similar specs = $700~$800

Of course, it would lack Apple's great design and engineering, among other things. But there's only so much I'm willing to pay for my laziness. At least the PC would be upgradable.
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
treellama
Vidmaster

Of course, it's both illegal and immoral to buy such a PC with the intent to run Mac OS X on it. The difference in prices also funds Apple's software development, so if you want to use their software, buy a Mac. If it's not worth that $500 extra to you, then use Linux.

You explain it away as laziness when it's really a lack of respect for software developers' right to make a living.
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Of course, it's both illegal and immoral to buy such a PC with the intent to run Mac OS X on it.
Of course.

It's about as illegal and immoral as downloading ROMs or MP3s, I think.
Treellama wrote:You explain it away as laziness when it's really a lack of respect for software developers' right to make a living.
...and you make it sound as if that's my main intent.

I'd gladly buy another Mac again, if they lowered their prices a bit. Even better if they started selling OSX for PC.
Last edited by Bridget on Aug 11th '07, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
seb
Born on Board

They surely look sexy. I'm liking the new look on the keyboard. The one I use (the "old" one as it shall soon be called) always gets grime and jelly (strawberry jelly, to be more specific) stuck between the keys. This one will be much easier to clean.
You're what Gammy calls a real Jew!
Zott
Vidmaster

Cheapest new iMac = $1,200
Custom-built OSX86 capable PC with similar specs = $700~$800
Do these figure in the Glossy LCD Screen? Cause I believe that would tip the ante a bit.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:Do these figure in the Glossy LCD Screen? Cause I believe that would tip the ante a bit.
It factors in a good 20" widescreen LCD monitor. I'm not sure about the glossy part though. But why would anyone want that anyway? Wouldn't it cause a lot of glare?
Zott
Vidmaster

Can you show me where I can find one of these cheap 20" LCDs? I hope its HD though or no dice. :D

Anyway, glossiness can cause a lot of glare, however, gives the colors and light more vividness. I hear Apple has a [acronym="Consumer Reports"]good Anti-glare layer on their laptops/monitors[/acronym], so it shouldn't be a big problem anyway.

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:Can you show me where I can find one of these cheap 20" LCDs? I hope its HD though or no dice. :D
I'm not sure what you mean by "HD", exactly. I think most computer monitors made within the past 10 years could technically be considered "HD". "HD" usually refers to any display capable of displaying a resolution higher than 640x480, if I remember correctly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824014146
Last edited by Bridget on Aug 13th '07, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Switch
Vidmaster

Bridget wrote:"HD" usually refers to any display capable of displaying a resolution higher than 640x480, if I remember correctly.
He's probably referring to full HD, 1920x1080.
treellama
Vidmaster

The iMac 20" isn't even full HD--why would you expect a cheap 20" to have it?
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:I think the actual IMacs look lovely. Saw them in person today. However the keyboard...it is so tiny. It is so thin, and kind of short. Though it does come with 2 USB plugs on it. But then again, it has to beam the USB signals to the computer wirelessly, soooo.
if i remember correctly, the wireless version of the keyboard doesnt have usb plugs. only the wired one has usb plugs.
Zott
Vidmaster

HD is considered 720p or higher in this day and age.

Though I'd like 1080p. :D

Anyways, the 24" I Mac gets a resolution around 1080p, except it seems to missing some horizontal...

BTW, the monitor has a reccomended resolution of 1680 x 1050 so that's atleast 720p and would be good. In fact, the price is pretty nice for that resolution...
Last edited by Zott on Aug 13th '07, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Look at Him Go, Weeee
treellama
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Anyways, the 24" I Mac gets a resolution around 1080p, except it seems to missing some horizontal...
It's exactly 1080p, actually--all HDTVs that do 1080p actually have 1920x1200 resolution, for some reason.
Packard20
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tommy-TBone wrote:I don't even understand the difference between Power PC and Intel. What does it all mean???????

ok in a computer theres a chip. The chip decidies how fast the computer reads information, along with ram. intel chips are faster than power pc chips.

i personally have a imac g3, 400MHz, 512 MB ram, mac os x 10.4.10, 15 inch, it works fine.... big displays get to me, make my eyes hurt.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT
treellama
Vidmaster

Packard20 wrote:ok in a computer theres a chip. The chip decidies how fast the computer reads information, along with ram. intel chips are faster than power pc chips.
Please don't reply to people's questions if you don't know what you're talking about.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

I'm gonna get one of these when Leopard. What I want to do is get the cheapest model and put a 512mb graphics card in it (can I do that??)
treellama
Vidmaster

The graphics card is not upgradeable in iMacs. You can't get any sort of decent video for them if you want it for games, you'll have to get a tower.
Coraxus
Cyborg

It would have been cool if Apple designed the iMac like the PowerMac G4 in that you can open inside the computer by pulling down one side. In this case you'd be pulling down the monitor like a door hatch and you get instant access to all the components.
Zott
Vidmaster

I don't think the average consumer that Apple is targeting with the iMac would be interested in upgrading their computer graphics card.

As for myself, I'd probably get a Macbook Pro or something, and try upgrading the video card in that.

Look at Him Go, Weeee