Marathon is not dead

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

I know things have been calming down recently, but all the hype has so far served no useful purpose. Marathon is still going along, showing no indication of dying at all. Sure the Clique is shot to bits, but they were like five people, so that's made little difference.

So is it dying? Are the Pfhorums staying up? What's actually going to happen?
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Now that bolty is gone, the clique's influence is much less than it was a few weeks ago. I guess it's just not the same anymore. Lately we've been having the most activity and project announcements we've had in weeks. Besides, making stuff here is just a hobby, it's not like we need to live up to all of the big named FPS's, many of which have no substance or plot.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Major Pedro wrote:I know things have been calming down recently, but all the hype has so far served no useful purpose. Marathon is still going along, showing no indication of dying at all. Sure the Clique is shot to bits, but they were like five people, so that's made little difference.

So is it dying? Are the Pfhorums staying up? What's actually going to happen?
So long as people still play Marathon...
So long as people are still making scenarios...
...Marathon will not die.

We have both.

Don't be so narrow minded neither, so RyokoTK left for other things and the Clique got shot to bits.

The last time I checked, those people were not the sole live blood of Marathon.
goran
Vidmaster

The pfhorums belong to appleswitch. He hasn't shown any sign of closing the pfhorums. I think you can forget about this nonsense - that marathon is dying.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

But, if people keep making threads like these just because Ryoko has pissed off, then people will start thinking that Marathon is infact dying. Pessimism will always bring us complacency, which the community doesn't need.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:But, if people keep making threads like these just because Ryoko has pissed off, then people will start thinking that Marathon is infact dying. Pessimism will always bring us complacency, which the community doesn't need.
ARRRGH!

For goodness' sake!

Here irrefutable PROOF that Marathon is not dead.
But you'll have to find it yourself.

But I'll give you a hint.
You'll usually find the proof in someone's sig.

Specifically, people like ShadowBreaker and Major Pedro!

Major Pedro, honestly, why would you ask about Marathon dying if the answer to your question is in your FREAKIN' SIG?!?!
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

LEGENDS NEVER DIE!!!
jessenator
Cyborg

MoppyPuppy wrote:ARRRGH!

For goodness' sake!

Here irrefutable PROOF that Marathon is not dead.
But you'll have to find it yourself.

But I'll give you a hint.
You'll usually find the proof in someone's sig.

Specifically, people like ShadowBreaker and Major Pedro!
Major Pedro, honestly, why would you ask about Marathon dying if the answer to your question is in your FREAKIN' SIG?!?!
QUOTE(major pedro)So is it dying?[/quote]
that sounds rhetorical, given his previous statement.
Are the Pfhorums staying up? What's actually going to happen?
This is the legit question: Does our activity on the Pfhorums, despite the spambots (i use that sarcastically), justify it's continuation? i.e. hosting costs, upkeep, back end, etc. (i don't know this specific site's situation, so these are general examples to take into consideration) but that's the question we all have on our minds. Will the site stay up for what is left. I'm relatively new, but it seems that a lot of the old salts have packed up and moved on with life.

the question is whether or not what's left of the work going ahead in the Marathon world is worth the keeping of the site/hosting/domain etc. (I mean, I just noticed that Rubicon's main site is gone). My answer, yes. but the ultimate answer will have to come from the administration, i.e. appleswitch
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t
Switch
Vidmaster

jessenator wrote:the question is whether or not what's left of the work going ahead in the Marathon world is worth the keeping of the site/hosting/domain etc. (I mean, I just noticed that Rubicon's main site is gone). My answer, yes. but the ultimate answer will have to come from the administration, i.e. appleswitch
$10 per year.

$20 if you count Simplici7y.
Last edited by Switch on Feb 5th '09, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Zott
Vidmaster

Hey, that's not a bad price.

Zombie Marathon will rise from the grave. That's because zombies are the in right now. [spnkr]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
sweatervest
Cyborg

The Dark Forces forums get much less activity than this place and no one is talking about the game dying. Well, I only read the subforum about the new engine being made but there is maybe one new post a day if that, and still no one is concerned that it is dying.

I for one will be playing this game for decades to come.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

jessenator wrote:'''
a lot of the old salts have packed up and moved on with life.
I think that sums up the seriousness of what's been going on here lately.

Wish them well, and welcome them back should they return.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Switch
Vidmaster

We've done this before, and we'll do it again.

<center>
<br /><br />
[attachment=2453:remember.gif]
<br /><br />
August 11th, 2005
<br /><br />
</center>
Attachments
remember.gif
remember.gif (20.75 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

The good ol' days...
L'howon
Vidmaster

Indeed. It's sad Marathon: Rubicon's Site is down, that doesn't bode well for me. I'm sure I'll want Rubicon back at some point in time (I deleted it).

It's funny, I was just in a conversation about Appletalk too today (Remember those days, back when AT was used for hosting games...)

Also, what was on August 11th, 2005? That's a date I haven't heard of before. All the same, that image gives me an idea for something to make.... Perhaps I we can counter the 4GETing.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Uh, hey guys, someone just misconfigured their www subdomain. http://marathonrubicon.com still works fine.

Also, uh, stuff is happening. Things are afoot. Stop despairing. And...

Last edited by Pfhorrest on Feb 6th '09, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

should be "Never Pfhorge7" or something. [MTongue]
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lh wrote:Indeed. It's sad Marathon: Rubicon's Site is down, that doesn't bode well for me. I'm sure I'll want Rubicon back at some point in time (I deleted it).

It's funny, I was just in a conversation about Appletalk too today (Remember those days, back when AT was used for hosting games...)

Also, what was on August 11th, 2005? That's a date I haven't heard of before. All the same, that image gives me an idea for something to make.... Perhaps I we can counter the 4GETing.
I'm pretty sure that was a time of hardship in the Pfhorums. Something about democracy and tons of other bullshit. Don't worry your little head.
*EDIT*
Here's a hint
irons wrote:When the original Pfhorums got erased and then re-launched after the big crash of winter '05-'06
Last edited by logan on Feb 7th '09, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

wasn't there some sort of merger between here and another forum?
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
L'howon
Vidmaster

logan wrote:I'm pretty sure that was a time of hardship in the Pfhorums. Something about democracy and tons of other bullshit. Don't worry your little head.
*EDIT*
Here's a hint
mm... That makes more sense now.

I think perhaps the best thing to do is simply retain a sense of humor. In my various conversations with W'rk, everything seems more and more like a joke.. Which I suppose coming from W'rk makes total sense. We just tend to get a little too tightly wound about these things.

So here's to Marathon, Marathoning, and perhaps the new generation of Marathon. May your SPNKR rockets fly true, may you never stop firing, and may you NEVER use capslock as your run key.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Da Spadger
Born on Board

I'm not making a scenario for Marathon, but I still play it.

I really need to finish all three games on Total Carnage some day. :/